DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bigger Battery announcement / mavic air come in 3 different colors

My thoughts based on these rumors...

1. Spark is gone. It didn't sell as well as thought and the size wasn't as amazing as people hoped when they couldn't fold the arms.
2. Mavic Air replaces the Spark. They are capitalizing on the more well known and respected Mavic name vs. the tainted "low end drone" Spark name.
3. Mavic Air is near Spark size but folds like a Mavic so really is a huge space advantage for travel. The camera will now be 3 axis and likely 4k. Obstacle avoidance sensors from the Mavic Pro will debut on the Mavic Air sized device. Battery life will be better then the Spark but still less than the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Air will be pushed hard to be the "mainstream" DJI drone, in the way the Mavic Pro took over the mainstream drone category from the Phantom. Basically this will be a current Mavic Pro in a Spark sized (yet smaller when folded) body.
4. The Mavic Pro 2 will debut with an improved 4k camera with 60 fps, a bigger longer life battery, the obstacle sensors from the latest Phantom drone (forward, back etc.) but in the same design of body. Price may skew upwards a few hundred dollars.
5. The Mavic Pro 2's improved battery will be made available to current Mavic Pro customers for better battery life but of course you can't get all the other advantages of the Mavic Pro 2.

Soooooo.... Spark gone, Mavic Air the new "mainstream drone" with Spark size yet now folding, decent battery, 3 axis 4k camera and a new Mavic Pro 2 in the same body with bigger battery, better camera, better sensors.

Logically it makes zero sense to give the Air the same range as the Mavic Pro. It can’t travel as fast and has inferior battery life.

You can never have enough range, even if the craft can't make use of the whole range. The Mavic as it sits stock can't make a a 4.2 mile trip out and back on the stock battery. Better to have too much than not enough.Having more than enough will just ensure better signal even out at the far ends of the batteries range in more conditions.

Yes can, they are not forced to put the restrictions in place.

Does ford or whoever only restrict cars to 50mph world wide ?
You're mixing restrictions. The range one is based on RF transmission rules, they are what they are (and yes there's only a handful of countries that allow what the US does in this regard).

Yes can, they are not forced to put the restrictions in place.

Does ford or whoever only restrict cars to 50mph world wide ?

No but they install seat belts, horns, turning signals, airbags, catalytic converters, etc,etc,etc based on govt mandates.

You can never have enough range, even if the craft can't make use of the whole range. The Mavic as it sits stock can't make a a 4.2 mile trip out and back on the stock battery. Better to have too much than not enough.Having more than enough will just ensure better signal even out at the far ends of the batteries range in more conditions.

True, but a drone that has a 20 minute flight time and a max speed of 20 mph doesn't need a 4 mile range. The manufacturer can cut costs and offer the product at a lower price point to the consumer. Then there all this VLOS talk you guys throw at me all the time. I'm already skeptical of anyone that claims they never lose VLOS with their Mavic. Now let's make it half that size.... Personally, a 1 mile range or so would be plenty in my opinion for a drone that small.

Reactions: Dragonfly
My thoughts based on these rumors...

1. Spark is gone. It didn't sell as well as thought and the size wasn't as amazing as people hoped when they couldn't fold the arms.
2. Mavic Air replaces the Spark. They are capitalizing on the more well known and respected Mavic name vs. the tainted "low end drone" Spark name.
3. Mavic Air is near Spark size but folds like a Mavic so really is a huge space advantage for travel. The camera will now be 3 axis and likely 4k. Obstacle avoidance sensors from the Mavic Pro will debut on the Mavic Air sized device. Battery life will be better then the Spark but still less than the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Air will be pushed hard to be the "mainstream" DJI drone, in the way the Mavic Pro took over the mainstream drone category from the Phantom. Basically this will be a current Mavic Pro in a Spark sized (yet smaller when folded) body.
4. The Mavic Pro 2 will debut with an improved 4k camera with 60 fps, a bigger longer life battery, the obstacle sensors from the latest Phantom drone (forward, back etc.) but in the same design of body. Price may skew upwards a few hundred dollars.
5. The Mavic Pro 2's improved battery will be made available to current Mavic Pro customers for better battery life but of course you can't get all the other advantages of the Mavic Pro 2.

Soooooo.... Spark gone, Mavic Air the new "mainstream drone" with Spark size yet now folding, decent battery, 3 axis 4k camera and a new Mavic Pro 2 in the same body with bigger battery, better camera, better sensors.

That’s a big theory! I love speculation like this, but I can’t agree with it!

I don’t have DJI’s sales numbers, but I think the Spark sold pretty well to be honest. Not like the Mavic, no, but you gotta keep in mind that the Mavic was revolutionary and the first of its kind when the world had been exposed to massive, ugly Phantom style drones for years that sucked to travel with.

I still think DJI needs to cater to the 12 year old who wants his first drone. Naturally, you might say “that’s what the Tello is for!” But that thing is trash. Spark is where goodness begins.

I still think DJI needs to cater to the 12 year old who wants his first drone. Naturally, you might say “that’s what the Tello is for!” But that thing is trash. Spark is where goodness begins.
The Tello is exactly meant for this purpose, to teach the youngsters how to fly a drone. It is also cheap enough, so parents can test if their offspring is really interested into this hobby before wasting lots of money for a "real" drone which the kids could crash against the next wall with their first try.

The Tello is exactly meant for this purpose, to teach the youngsters how to fly a drone. It is also cheap enough, so parents can test if their offspring is really interested into this hobby before wasting lots of money for a "real" drone which the kids could crash against the next wall with their first try.

Exactly.

Looks like the Mavic Pro is discontinued and the Mavic Air only has a 21 minute battery, The Spark is not discontinued.

Source on the Mavic Pro being discontinued?
The phantom 4 (non pro,non pro plus) was discontinued, but I haven’t heard anything about the Mavic. That wouldn’t make much sense without a replacement in my opinion, and the Mavic Air is NOt a replacement.

I looked on the DJI store initially and it wasn’t showing, but now it’s there at $999

I think the point was its bigger than spark, with longer flight time.

New mavic pro accessories includes bigger mavic pro battery get 25% more battery life.

Mavic air will come in 3 different color.

Mavic Spark will get discontinue. Mavic air will replace it.
Please provide link to Mavic Pro larger battery capacity

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial