DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Biggiest cons of the smart controller?

If you go lanyard route - I prefer two point connection. With a one point, as you bend down or forward the controller will tend to rotate possibly leaving the screen/sticks against your body.
Good point, it also means it can twist around. Something to consider

Good point, [one point] also means it can twist around. Something to consider
Two point lanyard also keeps the lanyard from obstructing the screen on the SC. When the display is below the sticks, any other balanced single RC lanyard attachment point causes the lanyard to block the screen. You can minimize the obstruction with thread type connectors, but it is an issue.

Two major ones for me, the USB charger is currently irreplaceable. Even DJI can't source them for you if you have to replace it, the other major problem is that the batteries are sealed so I expect to see a small cottage industry pop up in the next few years servicing them when the start to fail at the 2 year point.

Apart from that it's a solid first gen device, that can easily be improved addressing the main feedback from users.

And yet every qc charger I own fast charges mine....

Reactions: DavidNDC
Two major ones for me, the USB charger is currently irreplaceable. Even DJI can't source them for you if you have to replace it, the other major problem is that the batteries are sealed so I expect to see a small cottage industry pop up in the next few years servicing them when the start to fail at the 2 year point.

Apart from that it's a solid first gen device, that can easily be improved addressing the main feedback from users.

I believe the RavPower QC charger will charge at full speed. available from Amazon.

I used the HP Spectre USB-PD + a Anker Red USB-PD cable (PowerLine+). Neither worked, and that includes the USB-PD cable that can with the Smart Remote. Got several chargers and cables in the workshop and did a lot of testing. Just wondering now if it's something to do with 110v vs 240v. Either way the OEM works fine at the moment, just have to not lose it.

If mine ever tosses its cookies, I'll just use the lab power supply. It puts out 30A max so it might just do the job.

Non-replaceable batteries is unforgivable on any device. Screen is great. I wouldn't have bought the SC had it been iOS based, I'm very glad it's Android.

Reactions: Majestic
I am using the anchors from peak design and I share the peak design strap between my mirrorless camera and smart controller. Very versatile system, neat and tidy too. View attachment 80175
Excellent! Peak makes a good strap. Where did you get the eye screws? I couldn't find them online. FYI - I use Peak strap on my DSLR, but their system doesn't include a swivel, so the button connectors to the camera (or Smart Controller) will get twisted/weakened over time.

I found the screws in my workshop at work. You can get them on ebay too. I have used 2 washers on each screw, where one is drilled to slightly bigger diamater to facilitate the anchors loops. Easy and effective solution. IMG_20190823_181702.jpegIMG_20190823_181917.jpeg

I've had my M2Z with the smart controller for just over an month and I spent the extra dough on it because of all the great reviews about how bright it was. I must say I'm disappointed and don't find it any brighter than my iphone XR. It is a nice all in one package that I don't have to mess around with cell phones & other accessories. I also don't understand DJI's reluctance to allow you to use 3rd party apps like Litchi that would increase the usefulness of a nice piece of hardware. I have tried installing it using suggestions from the forum but it never worked for me so I gave up because I didn't want to end up screwing up anything in the controller that might cause me to lose my M2Z.

I use the Peak as well. Here's where I got my bolts ($10):
M4X10 304 Stainless Steel Male
View attachment 80209
I just received a lanyard today ordered from Amazon (Lanyard from Amazon) that fits my needs and is priced very reasonably. The strap is padded and allows the controller to hang down to my waist. The screen protector is nice but have not added it on the controller yet. The capsule holding the extra remote joysticks is a brilliant idea and I clipped it to the strap. Not crazy about the eye hooks and may replace those with ones that were pictured here in an earlier post which are basically flat. The strap also comes with a carrying pouch. All in all something I can use.

I must say I'm disappointed and don't find it any brighter than my iphone XR. It is a nice all in one package that I don't have to mess around with cell phones & other accessories. I also don't understand DJI's reluctance to allow you to use 3rd party apps like Litchi that would increase the usefulness of a nice piece of hardware. I have tried installing it using suggestions from the forum but it never worked for me so I gave up because I didn't want to end up screwing up anything in the controller that might cause me to lose my M2Z.

The apple thing is 589 nits. The SC is 1000 nits so its significantly brighter. Installing 3rd party apps is easy as well, download the APK or follow the tutorials for putting play store on it. DJI even state you can install APKs in the manual.

I am gonna get the smart controller sooner or later, what are the biggest cons of the controller

I don't know if it is the software or the screen, but sometimes it just does not respond. I may have to tap 15 times on an icon before the unit responds. I find this frustrating and potentially dangerous. I've had to SCs and they have both been the same.

Only con for me (being a new user to the Mavic 2 Pro) is that it does not come with a lanyard. After a while of holding it, it gets a bit warm (not hot) and my hands begin to sweat. I'd like to wipe my hands and not fear dropping the controller because it slipped.
There are dozens of off market lanyards,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendystroper