DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Biggiest cons of the smart controller?

If I remember good, these are M4-0.7 16mm long, and you can get them with different heads.

I don't know if it is the software or the screen, but sometimes it just does not respond. I may have to tap 15 times on an icon before the unit responds. I find this frustrating and potentially dangerous. I've had to SCs and they have both been the same.

I had this happen fairly often, especially after flying several batteries in a row and the unit got warm. What solved it for me was a factory reset in the Smart Controller it self.

It only uses vanilla-flavour 18650 batteries, so replacing them is trivial.
Non-replaceable batteries is unforgivable on any device. Screen is great. I wouldn't have bought the SC had it been iOS based, I'm very glad it's Android.

The apple thing is 589 nits. The SC is 1000 nits so its significantly brighter. Installing 3rd party apps is easy as well, download the APK or follow the tutorials for putting play store on it. DJI even state you can install APKs in the manual.
I expected 1000 nits to be brighter than it is because I’m always looking for shade to stand in.
I’ll need to set aside another half a day to attempt the apk & third party app install as last time it was a fail. I’ve never worked with android before so I’m spoilt by the fact that I usually just go to the Apple App Store and hit the install button and it works. No tutorial needed. But first I need to figure out what the heck an APK and a play store is.

Last edited:
Ummm... with android, you just go to Google play store, search, hit install and your done. This is modified android....

No one mentioning the vastly decreased range with the SC. Mine is terrible compared to the regular controller. I'm lucky to get 1 mile (5000ft) without the dreaded signal loss warning.

• Wow
Reactions: Majestic
Ive got identical range vs the standard controller. Which is what id expect looking at the specs.
I don't own an SC, but I am curious as to what range you are comparing them at. Have you compared them at over 4 miles away?

The biggest con besides the price (which is outrageous) is that after that large investment, you will have to buy another for the Mavic 3. You know that DJI will not make the new Mavic compatible with the older controller.
The CS has a larger screen and is brighter and should work with later controllers. It is just not as convenient.
As long dji use occusync 2.0 on next mavic i assume you still can use SC.. cmiiw

What is the farthest SC control range anyone reading this thread has personally experienced (knowing that the full 5 miles is already well documented in real life, on the M2 standard RC)?

Last edited:
As long dji use occusync 2.0 on next mavic i assume you still can use SC.. cmiiw

Probably doesnt even require that. They use software defined radios so can pretty much reprogram a new protocol with a firmware update alone (They're unlikely to use different frequency bands for regulatory reason).

Reactions: m2zAL
No one mentioning the vastly decreased range with the SC. Mine is terrible compared to the regular controller. I'm lucky to get 1 mile (5000ft) without the dreaded signal loss warning.
I've gotten 2.5 miles out of mine with no problems at all.

I disagree based on personal experiences with my SC.

Reactions: m2zAL
That's half of the range of the stock M2 RC at 5 miles.
What is the farthest anyone has gotten, using the SC?
I've gotten 3 1/2 miles out which was about the same as the regular controller in my area over farm land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan