DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Binding multiple controllers to Mini 3 pro

tbw

Reactions
I've purchased a Mavic Mini 3 Pro along with the RC-1 controller. Decided I wanted the RC controller instead, which I've purchased. Currently my Mini 3 Pro is paired/bound with the RC-1 controller. Is it necessary to unbind my Mini 3 Pro from the RC-1 controller before I bind my Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller. Or is it OK to have both controllers bound with my Mini 3 Pro?

It is not necessary to unbind the controller BUT once you bind the new one the drone will not recognize the older controller- unless you re-bind it

Actually that's not true. If you are talking about pairing the controller or connecting it to your drone, these yes you can go ahead and simply connect your drone to the new controller. But when it comes to "binding" then the answer is probably different. However, based on the context of your question, pretty sure you didn't actually mean "binding" but pairing or connecting so cafguy's answer stands.

Congrats on your new drone, enjoy your Mini 3 Pro (it's not a Mavic) and later when you feel the need to have a similar discussion about binding your drone, happy to see you in another thread. :)

I've purchased a Mavic Mini 3 Pro along with the RC-1 controller. Decided I wanted the RC controller instead, which I've purchased. Currently my Mini 3 Pro is paired/bound with the RC-1 controller. Is it necessary to unbind my Mini 3 Pro from the RC-1 controller before I bind my Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller. Or is it OK to have both controllers bound with my Mini 3 Pro?
You can pair your NCR1 and DJI RC to your Mini 3 pro, but every time you switch controllers you will have to acknowledge that you are unbinding the previous controller from the bird and binding the controller in hand with it. This is because of the DJI Insurance you may have purchased requires a controller to be bound to the air craft for fly away coverage to be valid. You will see a message about only being able to use the controller 5 times if you do not bind them together. I have not tested the 5 time limit myself so I am not able to speak on what may happen if you go past it. Perhaps someone here with more experience than I on controllers can chime in.

It is not necessary to unbind the controller BUT once you bind the new one the drone will not recognize the older controller- unless you re-bind it
Actually unbinding is necessary, but DJI Fly will automatically prompt and will do it for you as part of the pairing process with the other controller. Just went through this yesterday switching from the DJI RC to the RC-N1 to test Litchi Pilot.

A drone can only be bound to one RC at a time. This is how DJI validates a Care Refresh claim for a flyaway... the logs come from the RC, so having it bound to the drone when the drone is gone verifies the insured drone.

Actually that's not true. If you are talking about pairing the controller or connecting it to your drone, these yes you can go ahead and simply connect your drone to the new controller. But when it comes to "binding" then the answer is probably different. However, based on the context of your question, pretty sure you didn't actually mean "binding" but pairing or connecting so cafguy's answer stands.
This was not my experience yesterday.

I paired my Mini3P with an RC-N1 to test Litchi Pilot. During the pairing process, DJI Fly prompted me to unbind the DJI RC as a necessary step, and did when I clicked OK.

Keep in mind this was on my smartphone connected to the N1, which had an internet connection.

I dont believe the OP ever mentioned anything about DJI Care Refresh; let's just assume he doesn't have it.

I dont believe the OP ever mentioned anything about DJI Care Refresh; let's just assume he doesn't have it.
Doesn't matter.

DJI requires binding regardless. Would need it for a warranty claim after a flyaway too.

Regardless, Care Refresh is a distraction. The subject question of the thread is is unbinding from the old controller necessary to use a new one (assuming without restriction).

The simple, straightforward answer is, YES.

Reactions: Cadillac2012
Yes, what prompted me to ask the question about unbinding was because of my purchase of "DJI Care Refresh" when I purchased my MMP3. Originally, I purchased my MMP3 with the RC-1 controller which was already bound. Watched a YouTube video by "The Drone Creative" that indicated if the controller was not bound, you would not get "fly away coverage. Hence, my question. I decided I wanted the RC controller instead of the RC-1 controller.

I like the simplicity of the RC controller, mainly because of it’s built in screen. It eliminates the additional steps required by the RC-N1 controller in order to, in my case, use my smart phone. However, the drawback of the RC controller is it’s inability to utilize 3rd party apps. Whereas, the RC-N1 controller is able to utilize 3rd party apps. Back to the beginning of this thread. My intent was to utilize both the RC & RC-N1 controllers in conjunction with my Mini 3 Pro. Switching between the 2 controllers based on whatever project I was working on at any given time. I’ve come to believe, it would be in my best interest to go through the necessary steps to bind and unbind the controller whenever I make a change.

Reactions: Kiwicbrthou
Thanks for bringing this up again because since we don't always routinely engage in each of these activities, it isn't always super clear how it work. Thanks for clarifying you have DJI Care Refresh so you are aware that binding is a thing. Not a showstopper but you'll have to deal with it when switching remotes.

Since I only perform this operation rarely, I'm a bit unclear about the particulars of all this...

Definitions

Pair:
Establishes a connection between drone and controller so they recognize each other and function in normal operations.

Bind: Establish a relationship between the Remote Controller and a DJI user account, associating an owner with the drone.

Out of the box, the drone can be paired with a compatible RC, and flown up to 5 times before being required to be bound to a DJI account. Also, I believe there are very restrictive height and distance limits in this situation, but that's a vague recollection.

Unclear: After first binding, can the drone be simply paired again with a different RC, without binding, subject again to the 5 flight limit until bound to a DJI account?

Binding requires an internet connection. This may not be available where a pilot has to change drones for some reason (crash, spare), and it's not practical to carry a bunch of controllers.

This may be helpful:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks