DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BIRD ATTACKS!

I had this happen last night, flying over an open baseball field at about 150'. Suddenly the FPV on my screen went all crazy but came back after a few seconds. Another few seconds later it happened again. I forgot to put it into Sport mode but did (after seeing threads like this) realize that since I was in an open spot I should climb straight up. Once I hit about 400' I headed straight back to where I launched from.

I got hit a few more times while climbing but I think but about 250 - 300' it was done. Careful inspection of the drone and props and I can't see any damage whatsoever. Lucky!

Reactions: Ninja
I had this happen last night, flying over an open baseball field at about 150'. Suddenly the FPV on my screen went all crazy but came back after a few seconds. Another few seconds later it happened again. I forgot to put it into Sport mode but did (after seeing threads like this) realize that since I was in an open spot I should climb straight up. Once I hit about 400' I headed straight back to where I launched from.

I got hit a few more times while climbing but I think but about 250 - 300' it was done. Careful inspection of the drone and props and I can't see any damage whatsoever. Lucky!
Jeeze!.. That's scary. Do you have any idea what bird it was?

Are you sure it was a bird? could you see it? It might be related to this: Gimbal reset in flight

Reactions: tracer bullet
Ascend. The Mavic climbs faster than descends. The birds will have to circle to gain altitude and continue their pursuit. That should give you time to get some distance and cause them to lose interest.

Sometimes you have to fight the urge to land to save your craft when chased.
My Mavic ascends 10m/s and drops also 10m/s. At first it was quite impressive (against the +6m/s and -4m/s And thats in GPS mode, i pull full throttle up or full throttle down when birds are in close sight, depends if it's a flock of 100 small birds or 2 seagulls. (Eastern Finland)

Don't even remember the factory superslow speeds of 36km/h in GPS mode. Now making 75-80km GPS mode in tail wind, all things adjusted optimal.

012bf2aa54f06ae5062756ba216c3097.jpg

Reactions: mavic6611
How much does color make a difference. I have been flying my purple covered Mavic with no problems with birds in front of my house. Then I had it replaced by DJI and now the first flight with stock color the pigeons that live next door to me really had a interest in it.

Had a hawk chase my mavic I saw it coming and took off finally he gave up on the chase I have had pigions a little to close for comfort I don't think they will attack but I do think they are dumb enough to run into the mavic and cause it to crash.
Also had some other smaller birds fly around the mavic, have not had any crashes yet.
I think straight up might be the best way to go, Hawks can't fly down, but they can just drop on their prey

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I had an issue with dozens of bats that came out of a chimney at a school while I was on the football field.
A few chased after me and one swooped a few feet in front of the camera.
I ascended quickly, went on a short flight and then when I came back they were gone.

Had a flock of starlings swarm attack mine yesterday. Could see them in the video. Just was glad to get it back home and on the ground. To add insult to injury drone was covered in sh&t when I got it back. Went to the spot they attacked and sure enough was like 1-200 of them on the ground and power lines.

An instructor told me to flip to sports mode and ascend quickly. Birds can dive or fly straight but they have not seen birds fly straight up so don't know what the drone is.

I wanted to try that with some pesky sea gulls which were aggressive but the AP said I could not change mid flight. Maybe my settings are wrong.

I think whatever you do when a bird is getting ready to attack, we can all agree the first thing is to make sure you're recording! We wanna see it! :)

Reactions: Flynz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive