DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Birds Swarm Drone

20+ Birds swarming drone

Had my drone sitting still up in the air yesterday because I was busy doing something else, just happened to look back up at it and there were at least 20+ birds flying around in circles around it.
may just have been in an area where the birds were feeding? I have been in that situation before. None of them were approaching my drone and were clearly feeding in my case.

may just have been in an area where the birds were feeding? I have been in that situation before. None of them were approaching my drone and were clearly feeding in my case.
Yeah, that is possible. It was really cool being up there with them, kinda scary too though, I was afraid one of them was just gonna fly into my drone and I would have to stand there and watch it fall out of the sky.

Yeah, that is possible. It was really cool being up there with them, kinda scary too though, I was afraid one of them was just gonna fly into my drone and I would have to stand there and watch it fall out of the sky.
I had Purple Martins swarm around my drone in two locations earlier this summer. They seemed very curious. No aggression at all.

I wouldn't worry about birds accidentally flying into a drone, especially when it's hovering. Most species are accustomed to flying close to one another in groups and air-to-air collisions are very rare.

Turn the video on next time. You might get some interesting shots.

Reactions: TrabSeyn
I had Purple Martins swarm around my drone in two locations earlier this summer. They seemed very curious. No aggression at all.
Awesome, it is so cool to see them flying around your drone, they are probably very confused and think it's the terminator but bird version.

I wouldn't worry about birds accidentally flying into a drone, especially when it's hovering. Most species are accustomed to flying close to one another in groups and air-to-air collisions are very rare.
Yeah, I know they probably wouldn't fly into it, especially birds that size, but still, just the thought of it is not pleasant.
Turn the video on next time. You might get some interesting shots.
I did video it, the link is in my original post. Although, it's not the best shots, I'm still new, as you can probably tell, and am still trying to figure out exactly how to get good shots and all that good stuff.

I did video it, the link is in my original post. Although, it's not the best shots, I'm still new, as you can probably tell, and am still trying to figure out exactly how to get good shots and all that good stuff.

Thanks. I missed it. Those look like swallows, possibly Barn Swallows with that forked tail. Swallows nest and roost in flocks and they're very agile fliers. They're related to the Purple Martins that have swarmed around my Air 2S recently.

Swallows winter in Central and South America and they're congregating into flocks now to begin heading south. You likely encountered one of those flocks. The video is tagged with "North Carolina." If that's where you saw them, the timing is right.

Maybe they were recruiting your drone to go spend the winter in Venezuela.

Reactions: @Rip
Thanks. I missed it. Those look like swallows, possibly Barn Swallows with that forked tail. Swallows nest and roost in flocks and they're very agile fliers. They're related to the Purple Martins that have swarmed around my Air 2S recently.

Swallows winter in Central and South America and they're congregating into flocks now to begin heading south. You likely encountered one of those flocks. The video is tagged with "North Carolina." If that's where you saw them, the timing is right.

Interesting, and yes, this is in North Carolina. Maybe next time I should join their flock and take off with them.

Agreed, swallows. They can eat their weight in mosquitoes everyday, at least that’s what I heard.

Agreed, swallows. They can eat their weight in mosquitoes everyday, at least that’s what I heard.
I had heard that about Purple Martins all my life and I looked into it about 20 years ago after reading an article about how Purple Martins weren't such good birds after all. They apparently keep other year-round bird species out of the area when the Martins are here in nesting in spring and summer. The author also suggested that they weren't so effective at eating mosquitos. I found out that a research paper from the 40s was what the "weight in mosquitos every day" claim was based on. It turns out that the researchers measured stomach contents and found that the birds ate their weight in insects every day. But many of the insects weren't mosquitos. Dragonflies (which eat mosquitos) were a substantial part of their diet.

I'd guess that swallows, being smaller than Purple Martins, probably eat more smaller insects, like mosquitos, and fewer larger ones, like dragonflies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc