DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blue Authorization Zone (0 Feet)

wildwoodphoto

Reactions
I am considering buying the new Mavic 2S, but have looked at the local air restrictions. I live near an airfield in a Authorization zone with a 0 Feet ceiling. Will 'Self-Unlock' allow me to fly at all in this zone?

It depends. What you need to do is first get an authorization certificate, which is like getting on-the-fly ATC authorization. This can be done through Dronezone (FAA). It may take a day or two or longer. You apply much like you apply a night waiver but with the parameters. You will need to know the lat/long coordinates of where you want to fly, the times the distance from the coordinates. When you get authorization you then go to DJI FlySafe and apply for a custom unlock with the authorization information you get. I suppose you could do the standard ATC authorization via Kittyhawk and see what comes back. If you get authorization you can use that info. Then it's up to you to fly legally and safely in that zone.

Good luck.

It depends. What you need to do is first get an authorization certificate, which is like getting on-the-fly ATC authorization. This can be done through Dronezone (FAA). It may take a day or two or longer. You apply much like you apply a night waiver but with the parameters. You will need to know the lat/long coordinates of where you want to fly, the times the distance from the coordinates. When you get authorization you then go to DJI FlySafe and apply for a custom unlock with the authorization information you get. I suppose you could do the standard ATC authorization via Kittyhawk and see what comes back. If you get authorization you can use that info. Then it's up to you to fly legally and safely in that zone.

Good luck.
I'm reading way too many stories of DJI users having issues with unlocking at higher ceilings. Even when they have gone through the process, the drone still refuses to fly. That's one easy way to lose a client. So I'm now looking at Autel's EVO II Pro. May not be as good, may be more expensive, but it isn't geofenced, and that is priceless when I'm shooting for a client.

I'm reading way too many stories of DJI users having issues with unlocking at higher ceilings. Even when they have gone through the process, the drone still refuses to fly. That's one easy way to lose a client. So I'm now looking at Autel's EVO II Pro. May not be as good, may be more expensive, but it isn't geofenced, and that is priceless when I'm shooting for a client.
I know what you mean. I have a project myself coming up that is about 2 miles off a Class D airport. Before I even agreed to take the job I went through the process of applying for a waiver, getting unlocked and going to the site to test everything to make sure I was actually able to fly the mission. I was thinking about Autel for my next Drone as well. However at this time they are known not to fly as well as DJI drones. DJI puts up so many road blocks. One would think that they could impart an exception and total unlock for Part 107 pilots who have been certified that we know the rules and procedures.

If you haven't noticed, the country has been taken over by corporate oligarchs who by way of our electronic lifestyle centrally determine what we can and cannot access. Could DJI throw up RZ's when they don't want certain things to be seen? Of course they can. George Orwell was way ahead of his time.

There are tools where you can easily determine if you're in an area that has restrictions, just going out and buying an Auto and then flying some where you should not is not a solution. If your client is in a zone where you should not be flying , then you should get permission no matter what your flying ..

Reactions: tlswift58
There are tools where you can easily determine if you're in an area that has restrictions, just going out and buying an Auto and then flying some where you should not is not a solution. If your client is in a zone where you should not be flying , then you should get permission no matter what your flying ..
I fully understand and accept laws regarding fly zones and agree with DJI Geofencing. The point here is about unlocking issues. As some users have reported, after they go through the unlock process their drone still won't fly, or thinks they are in a red zone when they aren't. That is simply not a professional solution. It raises an interesting question: DJI say they are complying with the law, so by definition are non geofenced manufacturers, like Autel, breaking the law?

I know what you mean. I have a project myself coming up that is about 2 miles off a Class D airport. Before I even agreed to take the job I went through the process of applying for a waiver, getting unlocked and going to the site to test everything to make sure I was actually able to fly the mission. I was thinking about Autel for my next Drone as well. However at this time they are known not to fly as well as DJI drones. DJI puts up so many road blocks. One would think that they could impart an exception and total unlock for Part 107 pilots who have been certified that we know the rules and procedures.

If you haven't noticed, the country has been taken over by corporate oligarchs who by way of our electronic lifestyle centrally determine what we can and cannot access. Could DJI throw up RZ's when they don't want certain things to be seen? Of course they can. George Orwell was way ahead of his time.
I actually agree with DJI Geofencing, certainly for the recreational user. But if you are going to to the time, trouble and expense of registering your done for commercial purposes and take the 107 then you should be considered competent enough to know where not to fly it. After all, who using their drone commercially would risk losing their license? So if you pass your 107, Geofencing should be unlocked except for red zones.

I have had no issue in the past to use LAANC to get clearance to fly up to 100ft in 2 0ft grids alone wild horse creek rd. The process took a little better than a week to get the clearance for each flight but ultimately received them. I also had to use dji fly safe and unlock Spirit. Their is still a restricted area around Spirit that dji will not unlock unless maybe a custom unlock. Hope that helps you.

Reactions: wildwoodphoto
I fully understand and accept laws regarding fly zones and agree with DJI Geofencing. The point here is about unlocking issues. As some users have reported, after they go through the unlock process their drone still won't fly, or thinks they are in a red zone when they aren't. That is simply not a professional solution. It raises an interesting question: DJI say they are complying with the law, so by definition are non geofenced manufacturers, like Autel, breaking the law?
Never had an issue with "unlocking" my Air2 - even close by a smaller airport. Some people run into issues if they are using a non-cell phone type tablet / etc. (Wi-Fi only) and not logged into their DJI account as well. You never hear the REAL STORY from most, so take all that chatter about NOT UNLOCKING with a grain of salt. Does it happen - not unlocking - sure it does. Yet, when compared to all those that DO UNLOCK - maybe less than 5% don't.

Flying in an NFZ / restricted area with any drone is not the way to go - 107 or not without proper authorization. We see many stories of such stupidity here on a regular basis and it HURTS all drone pilots - 107 and rec ones as these stupid stories make the news and that is all people ever hear about drones.

Don't be one of those people!

Never had an issue with "unlocking" my Air2 - even close by a smaller airport. Some people run into issues if they are using a non-cell phone type tablet / etc. (Wi-Fi only) and not logged into their DJI account as well. You never hear the REAL STORY from most, so take all that chatter about NOT UNLOCKING with a grain of salt. Does it happen - not unlocking - sure it does. Yet, when compared to all those that DO UNLOCK - maybe less than 5% don't.

Flying in an NFZ / restricted area with any drone is not the way to go - 107 or not without proper authorization. We see many stories of such stupidity here on a regular basis and it HURTS all drone pilots - 107 and rec ones as these stupid stories make the news and that is all people ever hear about drones.

Don't be one of those people!
As a real estate photographer, unfortunately some properties fall into restricted airspace. Having spoken to DJI, they say I can return a product within 14 days of receiving it, even if it's used, so I ordered a 2S. I'll be giving unlocking a thorough test around my area (with a cell phone :O)) and will report the results if anyone is interested.

Reactions: joeywestside
I have had no issue in the past to use LAANC to get clearance to fly up to 100ft in 2 0ft grids alone wild horse creek rd. The process took a little better than a week to get the clearance for each flight but ultimately received them. I also had to use dji fly safe and unlock Spirit. Their is still a restricted area around Spirit that dji will not unlock unless maybe a custom unlock. Hope that helps you.
Most of my need will be within the 200/400 ceiling, with some in the 0 ceiling. I assume the customer unlock would apply to the Red Zone, but that won't apply to me. My 2S arrives in a few days, so I'll let you know how I get on. Do you have any suggestions for local spots for test flights?

Do you have any suggestions for local spots for test flights?
You have the Spirits of St. Louis R/C Flying Field just across the river their. I would assume though like most AMA fields they would require a AMA membership and local chapter membership to maintain facility grounds ect.
If you are looking for a local place that more then likely you will be undisturbed you could try the boat launch at weldon springs boat launch both locations are in controlled airspace and would require laanc authorization.

Reactions: wildwoodphoto
As a real estate photographer, unfortunately some properties fall into restricted airspace. Having spoken to DJI, they say I can return a product within 14 days of receiving it, even if it's used, so I ordered a 2S. I'll be giving unlocking a thorough test around my area (with a cell phone :O)) and will report the results if anyone is interested.
That might be interesting, though I am not sure I noted where you are located, other than Missouri. Is there really that may NFZ's there? Looking at B4UFly, I see some areas in the state, but not many.

That might be interesting, though I am not sure I noted where you are located, other than Missouri. Is there really that may NFZ's there? Looking at B4UFly, I see some areas in the state, but not many.
See attached of the restricted zones in the area I service. There are a large number of properties in those zones!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.54.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.54.41.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
See attached of the restricted zones in the area I service. There are a large number of properties in those zones!
I can see why, there are a fair number of airports in that area that of course create zones, though you should be able to get approval to fly in some of those areas with altitude restrictions

I am considering buying the new Mavic 2S, but have looked at the local air restrictions. I live near an airfield in a Authorization zone with a 0 Feet ceiling. Will 'Self-Unlock' allow me to fly at all in this zone?
You probably don't have quite enough cash, but the Autel 6k doesn't have geofencing. It has lots of power flies longer. It's flight isn't as precise as a DJI , but it's camera and camera stability seem just as good or better (by my own experience). If you buy, buy locally, make sure you fly often in the first 30 days, in case you find a malfunction and need to return it. That goes for the Air2s or any drone you buy as well. Good Luck.

You probably don't have quite enough cash, but the Autel 6k doesn't have geofencing. It has lots of power flies longer. It's flight isn't as precise as a DJI , but it's camera and camera stability seem just as good or better (by my own experience). If you buy, buy locally, make sure you fly often in the first 30 days, in case you find a malfunction and need to return it. That goes for the Air2s or any drone you buy as well. Good Luck.
If you mean is the Autel 6k is above my budget, then not really. I was actually waiting for the Mavic 3, which will probably be around that price point, but it's still 6 months away and I need a drone now. I considered Autel, but general consensus is that they just don't perform as well as DJI.

If you mean is the Autel 6k is above my budget, then not really. I was actually waiting for the Mavic 3, which will probably be around that price point, but it's still 6 months away and I need a drone now. I considered Autel, but general consensus is that they just don't perform as well as DJI.
I have the DJI Mav2Zoom and Pro, and The Autel 6k Pro and 8k. The autels are bigger and heavier, but have more lifting power. The feel more clumsy in flight (probably due to weight), but the camera, gimbal, and picture are just as clear and steady as the Mavic 2 line. I had to put Powered antenna boosters on both the DJI and Autel drone controllers, due to all the interference in the area. I use my Autels more, just because I can fly longer and can zoom into a subject upto 8x digitally and actually get to see what I am shooting. I just Bought the AIR2S and I find I am using it almost as much as my Autels. I don't use the Mavic 2 pro much at all. I think I will be selling it soon. Having the Agility, features and low profile of the Air2S combined with The shear power of the Autel w/o geofencing and equal camera shooting quality of the MAV2 Pro, plus digital zoom as does the Air2S , I'm happy for now.

I did Buy the Air2S because I too am waiting for a Mavic 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they even make the sensor bigger. The drone should be at least 6k. Zoom (prob digital). MAybe same or longer flight time (maybe a bigger battery). and other bells and whistles. I hope. But for now the AIR2S fits the bill. I'll sell my MAV Air2(not the AirS2) and MAV 2 PRO, then use that money to put forward to the MAV 3, if it ever gets released. For now DJI AIR2S and Autel 2 6k are the best of both worlds. That just my preference. We each have are own reasons for buying what we buy.

I just can't let myself part with the 2 Autels due to the NO GEOFENCING. I live near a public airport. I have to get LAANC clearance every day with the DJIs, and can legally fly at 400ft. I just like having the option, of starting my EVO2s and not having to connect to the internet and LAANC, just to fly around for 30 minutes. Also, note, I never had my Evo 2s get close to running out of battery when returning home. They actually do fly longer. Not 40 minutes, but they do have the longest flight time of all the drones I've used, so far.

Last edited:
I just can't let myself part with the 2 Autels due to the NO GEOFENCING. I live near a public airport. I have to get LAANC clearance every day with the DJIs, and can legally fly at 400ft. I just like having the option, of starting my EVO2s and not having to connect to the internet and LAANC, just to fly around for 30 minutes. Also, note, I never had my Evo 2s get close to running out of battery when returning home. They actually do fly longer. Not 40 minutes, but they do have the longest flight time of all the drones I've used, so far.
Since the process of getting LAANC authorization is independent of whether you use DJI or Autel equipment, I don't understand the advantage of using the Autels. What am I missing?

Reactions: Glhs958
Since the process of getting LAANC authorization is independent of whether you use DJI or Autel equipment, I don't understand the advantage of using the Autels. What am I missing?
The difference is with DJI, if you don't get LAANC approval, you can't fly. WIth Autel, the drone isn't linked to the apps that give approval and thus the Autel will still fly, no matter where it is.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78