DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blue Authorization Zone (0 Feet)

You mean just fly illegally?
I forgot my license at home officer. Strange thing about LAANC apps, ONLY DJI's makes me get a LAANC approval near my little airport. All the other LAANC apps don't. Strange.

I forgot my license at home officer. Strange thing about LAANC apps, ONLY DJI's makes me get a LAANC approval near my little airport. All the other LAANC apps don't. Strange.
Non-zero LAANC grids are almost always just self-unlockable authorization (blue) zones in DJI's geo system, and they don't require LAANC authorization to unlock, even though that's required to fly legally.

Either way - just because an app, or equipment, in the case of Autel, lets you fly illegally without any warning, that still seems like an extraordinarily bad idea, especially for a Part 107 pilot doing commercial work for clients as in the case of the OP.

I actually agree with DJI Geofencing, certainly for the recreational user. But if you are going to to the time, trouble and expense of registering your done for commercial purposes and take the 107 then you should be considered competent enough to know where not to fly it. After all, who using their drone commercially would risk losing their license? So if you pass your 107, Geofencing should be unlocked except for red zones.
That was kind of my point. As Part 107 pilot why should I have to go through the nonsense of asking DJI-Daddy if I can have the car keys just for tonight; Please Daddy, can I??? Huh??? Knowing the flub-ups that happen all the time with this crap I KNOW that I have to get ATC/FAA authorization well ahead of time, beg DJI to unlock me... and then have to go test the area before the day of the job. On this last job I did I got authorization to fly under 200'AGL for 0.5kim (1600'+_) from center point of authorization. Upon testing DJI only unlocked me for 300' to the west, which I'm hoping is enough range for this job. So a lot depends on the specific location of where the central activity will be. It is possible that it can be shifted 150' west which could pin me in. I'd still be over 2 miles from a class D, low traffic airport.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS