DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Body Camera Protection While Flying with Remote ID Coming Soon

Oh my; The new prepper. Drone militia! Onward droning soldier!

Nope, no room in the case for a body camera.

I think @SmilingOgre hit the nail on the head. This sounds like another prepper-style case of gadgetry for imagined dangers to come. What's next? A camo Kevlar "tactical" drone pilot vest with a dozen D rings for attaching five-pound flashlights, bear spray, battery operated sirens, canteen, entrenching tool, self-defense baton, rolls of crime scene tape, spools of paracord, and a 10-day supply of protein bars?

Hmm. If I need to film an assault, I can use my nifty little flying camera.

I think @SmilingOgre hit the nail on the head. This sounds like another prepper-style case of gadgetry for imagined dangers to come. What's next? A camo Kevlar "tactical" drone pilot vest with a dozen D rings for attaching five-pound flashlights, bear spray, battery operated sirens, canteen, entrenching tool, self-defense baton, rolls of crime scene tape, spools of paracord, and a 10-day supply of protein bars?

Laugh if you want.
There are times I’m in remote locations with over $50 k in equipment.
If someone can hack into the system and see my location and the type of equipment I’m flying. Easy target, usually no witness easy to sell product. You do the math.
As long as you keep flying your Mini you’ll be ok

And a little brain bucket with a face shield!

Laugh if you want.
If someone can hack into the system and see my location and the type of equipment I’m flying. Easy target, usually no witness easy to sell product. You do the math.
If you're out flaunting 50K and you run into those who want it, they will find the smashed camera in a shallow grave along with you.

• Wow
Reactions: Yogi053
Laugh if you want.
Look, I'm not laughing at the sporadic need for something like this. I had an incident carrying a mirrorless camera with a few punks that took exception to it. Would have been nice to get a record of that occasion. Then there's the PoPo that get hostile over having a camera record their activities. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Laugh if you want.

I don't worry when flying my larger drones, either.

No math involved. I'm inclined to think that there aren't many thieves who are able to hack into a drone system and track down the pilot and few who are inclined to try. I don't see drones as easy to sell, either. Thieves are generally stupid and lazy and they want to snatch something easily that they can sell quickly.

You're concerned about someone with bad intentions establishing your location while you're flying. Have you considered that they might target your home rather than you? Computers, televisions, stereos, firearms, tools, fishing gear, boats, lawnmowers, ... All are easier to fence than drones. And there's no person at home to deal with.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Protect yourself and the body camera I am using currently for under $150 cannot go wrong especially with Remote ID coming shortly.

Hey did you know there are smaller versions well under $100

I like your idea . There are times when you can’t get to your phone or you don’t want to be seen recording.

I don't worry when flying my larger drones, either.

No math involved. I'm inclined to think that there aren't many thieves who are able to hack into a drone system and track down the pilot and few who are inclined to try. I don't see drones as easy to sell, either. Thieves are generally stupid and lazy and they want to snatch something easily that they can sell quickly.

You're concerned about someone with bad intentions establishing your location while you're flying. Have you considered that they might target your home rather than you? Computers, televisions, stereos, firearms, tools, fishing gear, boats, lawnmowers, ... All are easier to fence than drones. And there's no person at home to deal with.
I have , my home is a mini Fort Knox 😂 All of our cars have dash cams.

Opportunity creates thieves.
I remember when people didn’t steal phones but when smart phones came along that changed.

You must not understand how the system works. Hackers make their money selling information access to thieves.(identify theft) Don’t think there is a government system that can’t be hacked Most have.

RID is open broadcast.

Don’t think that most thieves are stupid. Drones are an easy sell M3 with case and accessories $1000 at my local Pawn shop. My insurance agent checked for me.

I also really fly my drone at home. Take a look at all that reat

The other option is to exercise my second amendment right 🤔

Ok, we'll weed out the garden variety need-$50-for-a-quick-fix types and focus on the sophisticated electronically-connected miscreants who scrambled into action when you launched the drone in time to track you down before you packed up and left.

How does a body camera offer "protection?"

As a deterrent to a determined thief with $50,000 worth of gear in his sights? Is the clever criminal who's identified you and the hardware you're flying and tracked you down, going to be intimidated by being filmed? Doubtful. He'll just steal the camera, too. Unless you can somehow convince him that it's linked to the cloud and his image is already recorded and the SWAT team is on the way.

If you can hold on to the camera, the recording would certainly be useful in prosecuting the thief. But that's not protection from the crime taking place.

By the way, how many instances of drone pilots being robbed or violently assaulted while flying have we seen?

Bit off drones but was on my way to a park to fly when passed on city street by aggressive beater doing 30+ over speed limit. Watched him skid into big pickup at roundabout then drive off pursued by the pu driver and me. All caught on dash cam. Saw the pu after he lost him and gave him the chip from the camera for proof of reckless driver and his license plate. pu driver was a California Highway Patrolman on his way to work....

Laugh if you want.

You do have all of the serial numbers recorded and everything is insured right?

My photo gear comes in at a smaller 5 digit number but all the serial numbers are recorded and I have replacement insurance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711