DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boss wants me to take photos for screen printing

This brings up another thing worth considering. I am Part 107 certified and many times my boss has asked me to do really stupid or dangerous stuff. In fact, back when we got our DJI Phantom 1 with a 2-axis gimbal and GoPro, it was my boss who insisted I fly one day when it was clearly too windy. I advised him against it but he insisted so I flew and the winds blew the drone into a light tower at a (vacant) baseball field and destroyed it. The good news is, we got a new Inspire 1 and even better news, I learned the hard way, that as the Pilot in Command (PIC), I says yes or no to flying requests. Like many things in our society today, I feel "doing the right" thing is the most important thing even if no one else knows about it and it pisses of the boss. I figure better to get fired than do what I know to be wrong and maybe even dangerous. Fines are bad enough but the idea of hurting someone with a drone is too much for me. I know that doesn't apply to your situation rooney 0432 but saying "no" to the boss does. Besides, it's your personal drone. If he wants aerial photographs he either has to rent the drone from you, along with paying for your certification, or buy his own and get certified! I doubt he'll want to take the time and spend the money!! Good luck.

Hello!

I work for a local screen printing company that sells local high school garments with our own designs. Someone local last year took a drone photo of the new high school football field and the coach posted a picture of it. My boss called and asked if he could have a copy so he could screen print a design with that image onto shirts to sell in his store. The coach told him no.

I recently got a Mavic Pro and when my boss found out he told me to bring it to work and fly it to the high school football stadium and take a picture of the field/stadium so he can screen print it on shirts to sell.

I tried to explain to him that I believe I have to have a Commercial Drone license to do that but he keeps harassing me to still do it even though I told him I could get into trouble.

He told me today that he talked to a pilot friend of his and said that I am lying about the license and I couldn't get in trouble for it.

So am I reading the rules on FAA website wrong? From what I understand is I would have to pass the 107 Commercial drone test in order to take photos for resale.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks
You already know that you are correct. If your boss really wants that photo, get him to pay for your 107 training and exam. Then he can also use your services elsewhere.

This brings up another thing worth considering. I am Part 107 certified and many times my boss has asked me to do really stupid or dangerous stuff. In fact, back when we got our DJI Phantom 1 with a 2-axis gimbal and GoPro, it was my boss who insisted I fly one day when it was clearly too windy. I advised him against it but he insisted so I flew and the winds blew the drone into a light tower at a (vacant) baseball field and destroyed it. The good news is, we got a new Inspire 1 and even better news, I learned the hard way, that as the Pilot in Command (PIC), I says yes or no to flying requests. Like many things in our society today, I feel "doing the right" thing is the most important thing even if no one else knows about it and it pisses of the boss. I figure better to get fired than do what I know to be wrong and maybe even dangerous. Fines are bad enough but the idea of hurting someone with a drone is too much for me. I know that doesn't apply to your situation rooney 0432 but saying "no" to the boss does. Besides, it's your personal drone. If he wants aerial photographs he either has to rent the drone from you, along with paying for your certification, or buy his own and get certified! I doubt he'll want to take the time and spend the money!! Good luck.
Does your boss have commerical liability insurance that includes your drone flying? Or, do you, if you want it to cover other projects you do? The insurance on your homeowner policy will not cover you when flying for your boss or for you if in business..

As it has already been stated before, I would either get the boss to cover the expenses of getting your Part 107 or see if you can find a licensed pilot close to you that can do it for y'all. I use to live in MO :). I still have connections there. Where in MO are you (if you don't mind me asking)? I can see about getting you help.

Hello!

I work for a local screen printing company that sells local high school garments with our own designs. Someone local last year took a drone photo of the new high school football field and the coach posted a picture of it. My boss called and asked if he could have a copy so he could screen print a design with that image onto shirts to sell in his store. The coach told him no.

I recently got a Mavic Pro and when my boss found out he told me to bring it to work and fly it to the high school football stadium and take a picture of the field/stadium so he can screen print it on shirts to sell.

I tried to explain to him that I believe I have to have a Commercial Drone license to do that but he keeps harassing me to still do it even though I told him I could get into trouble.

He told me today that he talked to a pilot friend of his and said that I am lying about the license and I couldn't get in trouble for it.

So am I reading the rules on FAA website wrong? From what I understand is I would have to pass the 107 Commercial drone test in order to take photos for resale.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks
It sounds like this is a really good opportunity for both you and your boss. He could assist you financially in getting your 107, and you could be his photographer so that he could sell lots of merchandise to local towns. Pictures of ballfields, football fields, hockey rinks etc. Work something out with him so that you both benefit financially and legally. Good luck!

Reactions: Horus303
I don't want to put anyones undies in a twist, but what if the OP were to fly out to the high school take pictures and share the photos he takes with his boss on a personal level.

The boss then decides to use the photo on a shirt he wants to sell. The Pilot did not sell his photo or fly with the intention of making money - he also has a right to give his recreational photos to anyone he wants to. Once he has given them away, he is no longer responsible for what is done with them.

Technically, I believe this would remove any potential liability for the pilot.. I am not 100 percent sure this is accurate but wondered if it might be ?
Exactly. If you did it on your own personal time and it wasn’t clearly monetized, there’s no reasonable legal exposure, like who’s gonna come after you? I can see the FAA agents surrounding a T-shirt shop in the middle of Missouri with their black unmarked Tahoes, guns drawn serving an arrest warrant for one Mr. Rooney.

Seriously, there are too many church deacons ‘round here stifling creative expression and critical thinking... not to single out anyone in particular.

Although... now that you’ve broadcast your intent all over the internet, you might want to get your boss to print a photo of the football field on a Kevlar vest. Your life may depend on it.

Last edited:
As multiple people iterated her: your boss (and the business itself) can get into much more trouble and higher fines if they use the pictures from a non licensed drone operation. May be have FAA give him a call!:))
I do like the idea up there though that you can be his personal drone photographer if he pays for your clases and 107 license (or pry of it) That can be a good business opportunity for both of you.

Last edited:
I don't want to put anyones undies in a twist, but what if the OP were to fly out to the high school take pictures and share the photos he takes with his boss on a personal level.

The boss then decides to use the photo on a shirt he wants to sell. The Pilot did not sell his photo or fly with the intention of making money - he also has a right to give his recreational photos to anyone he wants to. Once he has given them away, he is no longer responsible for what is done with them.

Technically, I believe this would remove any potential liability for the pilot.. I am not 100 percent sure this is accurate but wondered if it might be ?

And what’s in it for the OP then??!

Reactions: Geekser
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent