DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boss wants me to take photos for screen printing

rooney0432

Reactions
Hello!

I work for a local screen printing company that sells local high school garments with our own designs. Someone local last year took a drone photo of the new high school football field and the coach posted a picture of it. My boss called and asked if he could have a copy so he could screen print a design with that image onto shirts to sell in his store. The coach told him no.

I recently got a Mavic Pro and when my boss found out he told me to bring it to work and fly it to the high school football stadium and take a picture of the field/stadium so he can screen print it on shirts to sell.

I tried to explain to him that I believe I have to have a Commercial Drone license to do that but he keeps harassing me to still do it even though I told him I could get into trouble.

He told me today that he talked to a pilot friend of his and said that I am lying about the license and I couldn't get in trouble for it.

So am I reading the rules on FAA website wrong? From what I understand is I would have to pass the 107 Commercial drone test in order to take photos for resale.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks

Reactions: Bryce steiner
There's a recent thread in here dealing with this with some very good answers. If memory serves correctly the implication of some of the rules is that your employer would be liable for heftier fines than you, I think they were somewhere around 10 times the pilot's fines.
I could be up a gumtree but it might be worth looking for if one of the poster's in that thread is not already active in this thread.

You are not reading them wrong. Not only could you be fined for it, *he* can be fined a lot more for "causing" it.

and:

Thank you!! This is what i was looking for! Next time he brings it up I will send him these links and tell him to go kick rocks lol

There's a recent thread in here dealing with this with some very good answers. If memory serves correctly the implication of some of the rules is that your employer would be liable for heftier fines than you, I think they were somewhere around 10 times the pilot's fines.
I could be up a gumtree but it might be worth looking for if one of the poster's in that thread is not already active in this thread.

I will look for that post! Thank you!

I bought the drone for fun flying around the farm but quickly found out it's like owning a truck...everyone wants to use it for something to benefit them. lol

Hello!

I work for a local screen printing company that sells local high school garments with our own designs. Someone local last year took a drone photo of the new high school football field and the coach posted a picture of it. My boss called and asked if he could have a copy so he could screen print a design with that image onto shirts to sell in his store. The coach told him no.

I recently got a Mavic Pro and when my boss found out he told me to bring it to work and fly it to the high school football stadium and take a picture of the field/stadium so he can screen print it on shirts to sell.

I tried to explain to him that I believe I have to have a Commercial Drone license to do that but he keeps harassing me to still do it even though I told him I could get into trouble.

He told me today that he talked to a pilot friend of his and said that I am lying about the license and I couldn't get in trouble for it.

So am I reading the rules on FAA website wrong? From what I understand is I would have to pass the 107 Commercial drone test in order to take photos for resale.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks
Not only do you have significant legal considerations, it is really wrong for your Boss to exert that kind of pressure on you or any other employee.

Maybe you should tell your that you can do it, after you get your 107. And he will have to pay for your classes and you’ll be taking the classes and test on the clock!
Best idea of the day!

I don't want to put anyones undies in a twist, but what if the OP were to fly out to the high school take pictures and share the photos he takes with his boss on a personal level.

The boss then decides to use the photo on a shirt he wants to sell. The Pilot did not sell his photo or fly with the intention of making money - he also has a right to give his recreational photos to anyone he wants to. Once he has given them away, he is no longer responsible for what is done with them.

Technically, I believe this would remove any potential liability for the pilot.. I am not 100 percent sure this is accurate but wondered if it might be ?

Reactions: midnav
I thought schools, in the USA at least, were no fly zones for drones? Or is that only take off and landing from a school?

Depends on municipality, I think. I know that there's no local restrictions for me on flying over or taking pictures of a school, aside from the FAA "no flying over people" issue.

Everything that is being said is true. I just registered my drone 2 days ago and boned up on the regulations. And in case your boss says no one will know, somebody is going to ask how he got the photo. Ffrom that point on, nothing good will come of it.

I don't want to put anyones undies in a twist, but what if the OP were to fly out to the high school take pictures and share the photos he takes with his boss on a personal level.

The boss then decides to use the photo on a shirt he wants to sell. The Pilot did not sell his photo or fly with the intention of making money - he also has a right to give his recreational photos to anyone he wants to. Once he has given them away, he is no longer responsible for what is done with them.

Technically, I believe this would remove any potential liability for the pilot.. I am not 100 percent sure this is accurate but wondered if it might be ?
It doesn't matter, the FAA is very specific about it, and it does address the scenario you bring up.

Reactions: Geekser

That would require the pilot to claim that the flight(s) and photography were purely recreational and that the photos only later became useful. That argument might work in some circumstances, but when it is as specific a request as this one and for the pilot's company, it's a bit of a stretch.

Would he get away with it? Probably.

Is it worth the risk? I would think certainly not.

Last edited:

Nope, cats out of the bag here. FAA is very specific on this point, and that point is called intent. In other words, the intent is no longer for enjoyment or as a hobby. Now, if the pilot in question had already taken photos before the request was made would be a different story.

I thought schools, in the USA at least, were no fly zones for drones? Or is that only take off and landing from a school?
Not that I have heard. There has been times where the school has specifically asked me to not fly but they are not an NFZ.

I found that if I asked ahead of time, it doesn't alarm them and they are usually fine with it.

Reactions: baristabob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan