Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boulder County fire started by drone crash April 2022

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is a VERY good reason to have some type of Fire Extinguisher in your vehicle:

I am pretty sure this fire was started by the kind of person begging for occusync 4, to fly even less line of sight then these clowns are already breaking enough aviation laws as it is :(

Watch the sub250 gram drones requiring remote id because of similar incidents and pilots

I am pretty sure this fire was started by the kind of person begging for occusync 4, to fly even less line of sight then these clowns are already breaking enough aviation laws as it is :(

Watch the sub250 gram drones requiring remote id because of similar incidents and pilots
From the article, first paragraph:

Three University of Colorado Boulder researchers conducting weather studies were operating a drone in the Table Mountain Radio Quiet Zone, Boulder County officials said. The aircraft crashed at a high rate of speed causing the lithium battery to catch on fire and spread to the surrounding area.

Pelle told FOX31’s Evan Kruegel the drone operators called 911 after crashing the aircraft near the 5000 block of Nelson Road.
It's always a good idea to read beyond the title before forming an opinion.

Do you just make things up in your head without any shred of evidence? LOL

"It is not likely that charges will be filed, Pelle said, because the operators weren’t violating any restrictions. "

Well you took a STAB in the DARK, and as it turned out you were HIGHLY INACCURATE, that which I call WRONG! This forum is beginning to make me not like the choices I made when I subscribed.... ugh!
Well, you can always just ignore people who annoy you.

That's what I do!

1650722732446.png

MM...FPV?

Reactions: Pondhopper
I'm having a bit of trouble seeing the physics behind this.

How does a crash cause the battery to ignite? What's the causal sequence of events?

Thx,

MM...FPV?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Reactions: Torque
This is a VERY good reason to have some type of Fire Extinguisher in your vehicle:

Fire extinguishers used to be a requirement in Canada to fly drones and it had to be a Class B dry chemical extinguisher. You can get handy little low cost spray cans of ClassA,B,C & K in Canadian Tire. However the other trick which Transport Canada allowed was use of sand which smoothers the fire and prevents it from spreading. Also handy if u get stuck in the snow and need a little extra grip on the tires.

It is not likely that charges will be filed, Pelle said, because the operators weren’t violating any restrictions.

And that is all we need to know, case closed, no action taken, no fine, no reimbursement of emergency response cost. Now, if that had been a rec pilot who started the fire, OMG can you imagine the uproar and demand for blood?

Is it possible to crash your drone and cause a fire and have zero responsibility? Can it happen in the absence of human error or fault? If your drone crashes on someone's house and causes a fire, could you just shrug and walk away so long as you had been flying in unrestricted airspace, had FAA registration # and TRUST certificate?

Of course, if you abandon your plane in a youtube stunt and let it crash into national forest the FAA will revoke your pilot license for one year but if no fire then no fine or anything, ok to apply for reinstatement in just one year.

1650740729861.png

1650740925357.png

Trevor Jacob was carrying two fire extinguishers. Very incriminating.

Hello… There will always be people who are not very committed to respecting laws, regulations, etc… I do not know to what extent an investigation by the authorities could reveal the background of who is the owner of that drone, “who possibly” is involved in that fire. I say this because I do not know if the authority of a state could ask the manufacturer of that drone "possibly involved" in the fire, to provide the information to identify the owner of that equipment. We cannot forget that to fly a Drone (I am going to put the case of DJI) you have to have an account and be connected to the App at the time of flying the Drone, be it your own or borrowed, then DJI perfectly knows where, when and to what time you were flying over a particular area. I think I'm not wrong that many or almost all of us who have a DJI account have never fully read the consents that we grant to DJI for the use of our personal information and our or our equipment that we use. How to take it into consideration and think more responsibly about our actions and the consequences that these can bring us... Greetings.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
I'm having a bit of trouble seeing the physics behind this.

How does a crash cause the battery to ignite? What's the causal sequence of events?

Thx,

MM...FPV?
The short answer is thermal runaway.

We seen this a few years ago with the Samsung Galaxy S5 phones that would spontaneously catch fire. It's the batteries.

The power in a battery (more specifically a lithium battery) has to be spent or discharged. If an accident or incident causes the energy to turn on itself (positive and negative are bridged by metal or a conductor) it cycles energy and continues to heat up until ignition.

Wikipedia:

Batteries​

When handled improperly, or if manufactured defectively, some rechargeable batteries can experience thermal runaway resulting in overheating. Sealed cells will sometimes explode violently if safety vents are overwhelmed or nonfunctional. Especially prone to thermal runaway are lithium-ion batteries, most markedly in the form of the lithium polymer battery.[citation needed] Reports of exploding cellphones occasionally appear in newspapers. In 2006, batteries from Apple, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell and other notebook manufacturers were recalled because of fire and explosions. The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation has established regulations regarding the carrying of certain types of batteries on airplanes because of their instability in certain situations. This action was partially inspired by a cargo bay fire on a UPS airplane.[16]One of the possible solutions is in using safer and less reactive anode (lithium titanates) and cathode (lithium iron phosphate) materials — thereby avoiding the cobalt electrodes in many lithium rechargeable cells — together with non-flammable electrolytes based on ionic liquids.

It is not likely that charges will be filed, Pelle said, because the operators weren’t violating any restrictions.
Now, if that had been a rec pilot who started the fire, OMG can you imagine the uproar and demand for blood?
There was already more than enough wild speculation in the thread.
Why would you guess that the flyers in the incident were treated differently from the way anyone would be?
If your drone crashes on someone's house and causes a fire, could you just shrug and walk away so long as you had been flying in unrestricted airspace, had FAA registration # and TRUST certificate?
The flyers in the report didn't just shrug and walk away.

The short answer is thermal runaway.

We seen this a few years ago with the Samsung Galaxy S5 phones that would spontaneously catch fire. It's the batteries.

The power in a battery (more specifically a lithium battery) has to be spent or discharged. If an accident or incident causes the energy to turn on itself (positive and negative are bridged by metal or a conductor) it cycles energy and continues to heat up until ignition.

Wikipedia:

Batteries​

When handled improperly, or if manufactured defectively, some rechargeable batteries can experience thermal runaway resulting in overheating. Sealed cells will sometimes explode violently if safety vents are overwhelmed or nonfunctional. Especially prone to thermal runaway are lithium-ion batteries, most markedly in the form of the lithium polymer battery.[citation needed] Reports of exploding cellphones occasionally appear in newspapers. In 2006, batteries from Apple, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell and other notebook manufacturers were recalled because of fire and explosions. The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation has established regulations regarding the carrying of certain types of batteries on airplanes because of their instability in certain situations. This action was partially inspired by a cargo bay fire on a UPS airplane.[16]One of the possible solutions is in using safer and less reactive anode (lithium titanates) and cathode (lithium iron phosphate) materials — thereby avoiding the cobalt electrodes in many lithium rechargeable cells — together with non-flammable electrolytes based on ionic liquids.
Actually in a crash it most likely isn't thermal runaway. Physical damage to the battery on impact can lead to puncture of the very thin membranes in the battery, which causes internal shorting and very high current flow inside the battery.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Also; when flying line of sight people are less likely to crash, that is a fact

I saw a video of this clown dustin downhill or something flying kilometres with a 4G fixed wing plane and he was saying "why is it forbidden to fly over all these miles of dried trees? Who cares if I crash here?"

which is the attitude that causes most accidents

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer