DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Pro owner

It’s amazing to me someone can read and understand this haha

I've watched several videos on how to read these charts as I prepare for my exam tomorrow. It takes a while for this info to get committed to memory, so don't get discouraged at first glance. Just noticed that VFRMap is from Oct 2018, so not too old.

WELCOME!Thumbswayup
If you haven't red the MANUAL....read it then read it again, take note of all the setups specially RTH!

Can’t recommend this enough, Top Hat. These drones are very smart and safe, but nothing beats knowing your $1500 purchase inside and out!

Reactions: Thomas B
Took these this morning before it got too windy. Didn’t get it up very high because of the wind.

47450532761_520f53a216_k.jpg

46535306775_0cec823db0_k.jpg

32508723657_4ab07d3acc_k.jpg

46727477504_b4b0b4706b_k.jpg

40484546973_d903d3c45f_k.jpg

33574386978_2807b2696c_k.jpg

Reactions: jacquespa and GregD
The AC airport is 9+ miles and the OC airport is 11+ so they should not be an issue but their may be a heliport in the vicinity. The bigger issue will likely be finding an open area away from people as we get closer to summer. Also, make sure you have a tail wind on the way back :)

Actually you DO have to see the drone yourself. I don't think that is good information to be passing on, telling new flyers they don't have to see their drone when flying. The law states that you absolutely have to be able to see your drone during your entire flight. Any suggestions to the contrary to any flyer is not helping any of us to stem greater restrictions of our flying. It may get to the point that we may lose a lot of flying freedom, due to people doing what you are suggesting and having an accident as a result of not being able to see where they are flying in able to properly control their drone.

Any others reading that feel this way, please join in to tell this new member (He only joined on the 4th of March) what is good and bad advice to another flyer.
The CAA regulations in the UK make it abundantly clear that you must be able to see your drone at all times during flight. VLOS is self-explanatory! I'm sure that the FAA follows identical rules in this respect.

As a retired flying instructor I can imagine only too well the dangers of drones which are out of sight of their 'pilots' and flying in the areas immediately along the extended centreline of the runway, both during take-off and landing.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
The CAA regulations in the UK make it abundantly clear that you must be able to see your drone at all times during flight. VLOS is self-explanatory! I'm sure that the FAA follows identical rules in this respect.

As a retired flying instructor I can imagine only too well the dangers of drones which are out of sight of their 'pilots' and flying in the areas immediately along the extended centreline of the runway, both during take-off and landing.
DITO for CASA in Australia

The AC airport is 9+ miles and the OC airport is 11+ so they should not be an issue but their may be a heliport in the vicinity. The bigger issue will likely be finding an open area away from people as we get closer to summer. Also, make sure you have a tail wind on the way back :)
I wouldn’t bother in summer, but on a cool 50 degree March day,I doubt they’ll be huge crowds.

How to see your drone easily at distance? Any special lights that can replace the stock ones.... I can imagine daylight VLOS must be really tough at distance.

How to see your drone easily at distance? Any special lights that can replace the stock ones.... I can imagine daylight VLOS must be really tough at distance.

Search "LED strobe lights" there is a thread where msinger has a link to some good options

Flew it today and after about 1500 - 2000 feet away at 350' altitude it gets very hard to see in the bright daylight.

Regarding the within 5 miles from any airport or helipad, if you're flying within the mileage, but are literally going up and within a very small radius that is nowhere near where any actual planes takeoff/land, do you still call the airports? How do you get proof they OK it if so? I see the Mavic maps have actual gray flight path markers vs air map with orange blobs everywhere.

It’s simple. Don’t fly within 5 miles of any airport. Unfortunately for some of us (including myself) that means no flying around your place of residence. Just leave it at that and you will be fine.

NJ recently changed their law and now allows flying in state parks as long as you are compliant with FAA requirements.
Really? I am from Annandale and would love to fly over NJ parks. I can't find any evidence the 2015 law prohibiting drones in NJ state park was reversed. Would help much if you can share more.

Really? I am from Annandale and would love to fly over NJ parks. I can't find any evidence the 2015 law prohibiting drones in NJ state park was reversed. Would help much if you can share more.
Look at NJ Code of Criminal Justice Title 2C:40-27 & 40-29

I see the legislation -- The state has banned all UAS from state parks -- this legislation doesn't seem to change that

Now the municipal and county parks are a different story...

From what I understand the whole township of Bernards has banned UAS from everywhere, even your own private property, within the township -- This legislation should override that, Now someone just needs to convince the township of it

Edit -- looks like I misread the statute -- Even the state parks should be OK to fly according to the Feds -- I can't imagine the state will comply without an expensive fight

Last edited:
I see the legislation -- The state has banned all UAS from state parks -- this legislation doesn't seem to change that

Now the municipal and county parks are a different story...

From what I understand the whole township of Bernards has banned UAS from everywhere, even your own private property, within the township -- This legislation should override that, Now someone just needs to convince the township of it

Edit -- looks like I misread the statute -- Even the state parks should be OK to fly according to the Feds -- I can't imagine the state will comply without an expensive fight
This is NJ state legislation not Fed. As I read it the state says you can fly in NJ as long as you comply with FAA rules and local municipalities can not further restrict state legislation.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851