DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Broke my only rule and flew with the wind out to sea.

I sometimes take off from my balcony in the canyon formed by the buildings and do not enjoy swirlers and eddies in any way shape or form! The first time I was trying to get back in the opening with high wind was when I realized how much the drone actually jumps around in flight. Crazy amounts. The gimble hides a whole lot from you.

I absolutely prefer no wind.. So much more flight time!

It's interesting that you should mention the gimbal. I just now (not ten minutes ago) did a drone run up the hillside with an Airpro2 (GoPro knockoff) strapped to the top of my Mavic Air 2. I took video with both the MA2 and the AirPro2, and although by necessity the AirPor2 was facing backward it's rather amazing how much bouncing around the drone does that is completely hidden by the gimbal. The resolution on the AirPro2 is pretty poor by comparison and my editing skills are limited, but I'll see if I can compile a side-by-side composite video to illustrate the difference.

Reactions: JackL
I always let the flag you see at the end dictate where I fly, which is always into the wind head on, period.

For some reason on this one I decided to fly with the wind a little and got all kinds of carried away while chasing boats...
Returning directly into the steadily increasing wind and setting sun while the battery percent was dropping by the second was the most harrowing experience I have had to date! When I switched from sport to normal right off the dock and the drone stopped my heart definitely skipped a beat or three. When it said "critical battery, landing" about 200 ft away from the dock over the ocean I was sure the guy fishing was going to watch it imitate an ROV.

Thankfully through all that I had a 10% experience before and learned from you guys full stick up will keep it from autolanding in an inconvenient spot.

Here is the log for anyone interested.

I will not be letting this happen again!

I did enjoy your photography of the ? boats ? Nice job ??

Reactions: JackL
It's interesting that you should mention the gimbal. I just now (not ten minutes ago) did a drone run up the hillside with an Airpro2 (GoPro knockoff) strapped to the top of my Mavic Air 2. I took video with both the MA2 and the AirPro2, and although by necessity the AirPor2 was facing backward it's rather amazing how much bouncing around the drone does that is completely hidden by the gimbal. The resolution on the AirPro2 is pretty poor by comparison and my editing skills are limited, but I'll see if I can compile a side-by-side composite video to illustrate the difference.

I rotated the gimbal all the way to the side by accident once and was seriously amazed how badly the drone was getting beat up by the wind and how completely useless rotating the gimbal to the side actually was! It took me forever to get it centered again during the flight.

I've been considering strapping a fake gopro on mine and trying the same thing as you did ever since I saw that video the other day where someone did it with a gopro 8 and it was super smooth and totally FPV looking. Will have to be on a day with zero wind to look good I'm betting.

Reactions: AZDave
I rotated the gimbal all the way to the side by accident once and was seriously amazed how badly the drone was getting beat up by the wind and how completely useless rotating the gimbal to the side actually was! It took me forever to get it centered again during the flight.

I've been considering strapping a fake gopro on mine and trying the same thing as you did ever since I saw that video the other day where someone did it with a gopro 8 and it was super smooth and totally FPV looking. Will have to be on a day with zero wind to look good I'm betting.

As promised, here's the link to a comparison video showing the two videos as an over_under composite. The two videos are synchronous. I aligned the two videos at the point the drone dropped on the landing pad, and then did some clipping afterward.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121