DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broke non original extedned stick, the thread left inside, help needed

levasc

Reactions
Hello,

bhought on aliexpress. They were good untill I had to drop the remote quickly into my bag. The stick broke living a part of thread inside. How it is possible to get it out, what are those hex screws for?

Attachments

• 2020-03-11 12-09-35.JPG
    2020-03-11 12-09-35.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 67
Have you try hot glue stick on broken key trick? Don’t know if it will work but won’t hurt to try.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1)If the broken off threaded bit is reasonably near the outer end of the hole (not recessed too far), you might try using a sharp scribe - stick it down the hole offset to the side, and with as little downward pressure as possible, and still not having the end of the scribe slip, try try turning the screw CCW.

2)There's another way that may work if you have the broken off knob and the remaining shaft is not bent. First put the broken knob shaft in the hole and ascertain where it "fits" against the broken off part (it will likely be broken off at a slight angle and you'll need a snug fit for the next steps) - mark the knob with a felt tip so you can place it back in the proper orientation in shaft hole later.

If the broken bit is recessed, wipe a small amount of Vaseline or grease on the shaft of the knob - the purpose of the Vaseline is to keep glue from migrating on the threads - if you're careful you don't need this step. Next put a tiny spot of super glue on the very end of the break on the knob . . . it must be a small amount as you don't want any glue migrating to the threads. Orient the knob with the index mark and place the shaft into the hole. It must fit properly and not be disturbed for several minutes. Attempt to unscrew the knob very gently, avoid any lateral force on the knob.

3)A machinist might try a left hand twist drill. The idea is that the left turning drill bit will very likely remove the broken piece. But if it does not, then a small "easy-out" is used to remove it. Warning - the drill bit must be small enough and stay centered on the broken screw so as not to damage the female thread in the hole.

Good luck!

Reactions: Gindra
Yeah. Just get an easy out drill set (left hand threaded). Use the smallest bit and drill very slowly with s little pressure. Will probably start spinning out. I can't imagine they are in there too tight to begin with.

Reactions: Rockycat
Hello,

bhought on aliexpress. They were good untill I had to drop the remote quickly into my bag. The stick broke living a part of thread inside. How it is possible to get it out, what are those hex screws for?

Did you try just using a proper sized Allen wrench on that screw?
Looks to me like that ring is what attached the actual knob to the part stuck in the controller. That would mean that Allen screw is all that would actually thread into the controller.

Attachments

• Inkedcontroller knob_LI.jpg
    Inkedcontroller knob_LI.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
@levasc - It's been two weeks since his first and only post so it doesn't appear the OP is checking for a solution - hopefully he got it fixed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ