DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken micro usb port on the mavic pro controller

Yes it is hexagonal. Here's a head on picture of the reversible micro usb.
Here is an OEM DJI. Could you hold the end of your cable up to a standard micro USB cable and take a picture of the 2 together?

I'm going to order one of the cables that you have anyway. Great concept And thank you for sharing.

20180722_143208.jpeg

Here is an OEM DJI. Could you hold the end of your cable up to a standard micro USB cable and take a picture of the 2 together?

I'm going to order one of the cables that you have anyway. Great concept And thank you for sharing.

View attachment 42501

Here you go (reversible and standard micro usb)
a589e247d81b130d656caed04c3d473c.jpg

Thank you so much! It's amazing ingenuity! I ordered from the link you provided, seems like they will send 3 different length cables for $8.99 and free shipping.
Your welcome!
Yes you get 3 different size cables.
It's a cheap way to reduced the risk of breaking the tongue in the micro USB port. A plus is that these cables support data, use them to update the drone/controller.

Reactions: Former Member
Your welcome!
Yes you get 3 different size cables.
It's a cheap way to reduced the risk of breaking the tongue in the micro USB port. A plus is that these cables support data, use them to update the drone/controller.

Excellent report. We need all the help we can get when it comes to ensuring the longevity of our equipment.

Here you go
Step one : Box it up
Step two : Obtain Thunderdrones address
Step three : Mail to thunderdrones
Step four : Go to post office and pickup your repaired remote
I don't mean to be an a** but one screw up and your remote could be ruined ..Wish you the best

It’s already ruined he has nothing to lose.

Reactions: Soonerdrone
Last edited:
You guys are awesome. @Dave A @jedpause and @zachschul22

I got my $8.99 Amazon Prime cables today and they are fantastic. 3 different sized cables for that price, and no more fiddling with which way is up or down. Necessity is the mother of invention, and these are brilliant!

These will save alot of controllers from getting broken on the side port, as well as make it easier to insert ionto the bottom port..

Reactions: zachschul22
It’s not just the Mavic RC that has this port. The Tello drone and its RC and many other devices and phones all have micro USB ports that, while not quite as fragile as the Mavic RC, aren’t that robust and anything that can be done to reduce the chance of damage should be done.

Last edited:
Here ya go...
  1. Pry up the 5 way switch. Slowly and carefully and dont scratch the screen.
  2. Use a 1.5mm hex driver to remove the 2 screws under the claws
  3. Pop the 2 pieces that you just loosened, best with a small flat head screwdriver
  4. With a plastic spudger, pry the bottom cover off, very very gently. Get it up enough to be able to pop it off with your thumbs
  5. Remove 2 silver phillips screws
  6. Pop the 2 bottom tabs up so that you can pop the display off
  7. Put some Scotch tape over the display. If you get it dirty or dusty it will be hard to get clean again
  8. Unlock the ribbon cable that connects the 5 way switch board to the main board
  9. Unscrew 6 philips screws
  10. Remove the 2 buttons for record and snap picture
  11. Remove the 5 way switch board. You will have to wiggle it from side to side to get it out. It gets stuck on the M USB connector
  12. Dont loose the clear plastic piece on the right side of the board. That covers your power switch LED.
  13. Insert the new board. Make sure the ribbon is above the board before you install it
  14. Line up the M USB port with the controller case, that has to go in first.
  15. Line the 5 way switch board up with the screw holes
  16. Screw it in.
  17. Replace the 2 record buttons
  18. Connect the ribbon, and lock it in. The lock can break easily, be gentle.
  19. Take the scotch tape off the display. Dont get any dust of dirt on it, it's like a dirt and dust magnet
  20. Line up the display cover with the top tabs and snap it in. Make sure that both sides snap in equally.
  21. Replace the 5 way switch
  22. Screw in the 2 silver phillips screws
  23. Snap in the bottom cover. Line it up with the top tabs
  24. Replace the claw covers
  25. Screw them in

Presto! 1-2 hours later your controller will be fixed. (Unless you have some screws left over :eek:)

I assume my port is failing because I have re-insert it several times before I can get a connection, doesn't matter if it is iphone my pixel or micro usb.. I haven't tried cleaning it yet. I will give that a shot.

I assume my port is failing because I have re-insert it several times before I can get a connection, doesn't matter if it is iphone my pixel or micro usb.. I haven't tried cleaning it yet. I will give that a shot.

Take a look inside the side port and you can tell if the tongue is slanting to one side. Thats a telltale sign

Just putting this out there.
I saw these a while ago and this can help reduce the risk of breaking the micro USB port. It is a magnetic micro usb cable. The micro USB end stays in the port and the cable gets removed. Think of it as a port cover that works/charges when the magnetic end is attached.

Heres a link to an Amazon product of many:
Netdot 2nd Generation Magnetic Braided USB Charging Cable for Micro USB Android Device
by NetDot
Link: http://a.co/5VLJdDf

What do you guys think? You never have to actually unplug the micro USB plug, just attach the magnetic cable.

Just putting this out there.
I saw these a while ago and this can help reduce the risk of breaking the micro USB port. It is a magnetic micro usb cable. The micro USB end stays in the port and the cable gets removed. Think of it as a port cover that works/charges when the magnetic end is attached.

Heres a link to an Amazon product of many:
Netdot 2nd Generation Magnetic Braided USB Charging Cable for Micro USB Android Device
by NetDot
Link: http://a.co/5VLJdDf

What do you guys think? You never have to actually unplug the micro USB plug, just attach the magnetic cable.

Thumbswayup You've come across another great solution. This one is great since a pilot would never have to remove the end from the controller, and it protects the port. Good for MP, Mavic Air, and Spark.

Last edited:
Reactions: zachschul22
Can the USB port on the bottom of the controller be used for charging? I thought both ports were interchangeable as far as the connections are concerned. It appears like it would be safer to charge using the type A USB port on the bottom. Obviously, I have not tried this. I just bought my Mavic a couple of weeks ago.

Here ya go...
  1. Pry up the 5 way switch. Slowly and carefully and dont scratch the screen.
  2. Use a 1.5mm hex driver to remove the 2 screws under the claws
  3. Pop the 2 pieces that you just loosened, best with a small flat head screwdriver
  4. With a plastic spudger, pry the bottom cover off, very very gently. Get it up enough to be able to pop it off with your thumbs
  5. Remove 2 silver phillips screws
  6. Pop the 2 bottom tabs up so that you can pop the display off
  7. Put some Scotch tape over the display. If you get it dirty or dusty it will be hard to get clean again
  8. Unlock the ribbon cable that connects the 5 way switch board to the main board
  9. Unscrew 6 philips screws
  10. Remove the 2 buttons for record and snap picture
  11. Remove the 5 way switch board. You will have to wiggle it from side to side to get it out. It gets stuck on the M USB connector
  12. Dont loose the clear plastic piece on the right side of the board. That covers your power switch LED.
  13. Insert the new board. Make sure the ribbon is above the board before you install it
  14. Line up the M USB port with the controller case, that has to go in first.
  15. Line the 5 way switch board up with the screw holes
  16. Screw it in.
  17. Replace the 2 record buttons
  18. Connect the ribbon, and lock it in. The lock can break easily, be gentle.
  19. Take the scotch tape off the display. Dont get any dust of dirt on it, it's like a dirt and dust magnet
  20. Line up the display cover with the top tabs and snap it in. Make sure that both sides snap in equally.
  21. Replace the 5 way switch
  22. Screw in the 2 silver phillips screws
  23. Snap in the bottom cover. Line it up with the top tabs
  24. Replace the claw covers
  25. Screw them in

Presto! 1-2 hours later your controller will be fixed. (Unless you have some screws left over :eek:)
Thank you for this! I shall proceed! I sure catch a lot of heck for this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada