DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken micro usb port on the mavic pro controller

Can the USB port on the bottom of the controller be used for charging? I thought both ports were interchangeable as far as the connections are concerned. It appears like it would be safer to charge using the type A USB port on the bottom. Obviously, I have not tried this. I just bought my Mavic a couple of weeks ago.
No. You can only charge from the Micro USB port.:(

Can the USB port on the bottom of the controller be used for charging? I thought both ports were interchangeable as far as the connections are concerned. It appears like it would be safer to charge using the type A USB port on the bottom. Obviously, I have not tried this. I just bought my Mavic a couple of weeks ago.

That's why so many people break the side port, it's the only one you can use.

Reactions: Cybernaut
Il'l break it down.
Those that break the flimsy USB controller connection within in the first month would generally be newbs, clumsy, drunk, stoned, using an elchepo lead, half blind, fully blind, in a dark room, all of the above or just unlucky.
Those that dont break the flimsy RC USB in the first 6 months are none of the above.
The rest are sitting on a ticking time bomb.
I mean Im no economical aeronautical electronics whizz but even l can see that by utilizing the bottom USB as a charging port is going to lose money.
Monopolies suck.
Bring on the Samsung DROID DRONE!

Reactions: Opabob
It would have made much more sense to make both ports interchangeable, not only for flight control, but also for charging. The USB port on the bottom is much sturdier.

Reactions: unicornio
Thumbswayup You've come across another great solution. This one is great since a pilot would never have to remove the end from the controller, and it protects the port. Good for MP, Mavic Air, and Spark.

I got one of these since my micro usb port was getting iffy (poor design, hard to tell which way to insert the plug) works well but power only no data. Works as good insurance against breaking the port.

As a preventative measure, you could purchase something like this. Pro: plug into your controller only once, ever. Cons: Don't lose the 1 proprietary cable you'll own (solution: buy more backup magnetic cables), you'll have to "adapt" other end of cable to phone/tablet (if you don't use the center USB port)

Poor design on the part of DJI. They could’ve at least made the USB port a certain shape like the corresponding charging cable so that you would know which way to plug your micro USB cable in.

Every time I go to charge my Mavic remote I have to look carefully and there’s been at least 3 occasions where I’m trying to plug it in only to realise that I’m close to maybe breaking that “tongue” inside.

Someone here suggested colour coding the up and down sides and I’m going to give that ago cos it’s an accident just waiting to happen.

Hi

I would like to get some help with my broken micro usb port on my mavic pro controller.
The controller dont charge anymore and I think the charge port is broken.
I would like to know if anyone knows if it is possible to repair this yourself or if I should send it in to a service place.

Thank you
Same thing happened to me. DJI said it was not covered by warranty. Sent them the controller and it cost me about $80 to get it fixed + about a month. Works OK but it is still very difficult to see which way the cable goes in, so I am very gentle when I plug in the charger. All my other micro ports and cables for other devices seem to have a little "tab" inside that makes it easy to figure plug in the cable correctly.

Reactions: Cj86
To give more of a pointer as to which way up the plugs go I marked them and the sockets using a silver marker pen as soon as I realised that the socket was not really compliant with the micro usb standard.
I’ve currently got one of the magnetic ended cables mentioned earlier in the thread with the plug in the RC socket. It doesn’t seem to have had any effect on the Hall sensors that are used for the control sticks.
This style of cable is similar to older MacBook power cables. I did think then that all cables should be like this. There is so little strain on what can be delicate circuit boards and no damage done when some one trips over a cable.

I got one of these since my micro usb port was getting iffy (poor design, hard to tell which way to insert the plug) works well but power only no data. Works as good insurance against breaking the port.
Same thing happen to me yesterday where I have to send back my remote to be repaired by DJI
I am living in Canada , Quebec
Thanks for the replies

Someone already suggested this in another post. You guys need to mark the top of the micro USB connector with paint so you know which way should face up before you try to insert it.I did that to my cable.

There is another thread where someone found an adapter for the Apple Lightning connector that converts it to a standard Type A USB connector so it can be plugged directly into the DJI charger. That way the micro USB never needs to be disconnected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian