DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Mini = Broken Heart. Looking for help finding a fix.

JohnNokomis

Reactions
Flying around dusk it was too dark to use any onboard assistance or sensors, only GPS. So when I flew under a carport it lost GPS and went a little crazy and flew into a wall. Even though it was at an extremely slow speed it resulted in a broken arm... What is the best fix for this issue, besides upgrading to a Mavic Air 2? I have Gorilla super glue and also Gorilla hot glue sticks. Has anyone used JB Weld on plastics? Any tips or tricks would be amazing because I could almost break down in tears right now as I can no longer fly. 20200926_194354.jpg20200926_193917.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: TreeHugger
Flying around dusk it was too dark to use any onboard assistance or sensors, only GPS. So when I flew under a carport it lost GPS and went a little crazy and flew into a wall. Even though it was at an extremely slow speed it resulted in a broken arm... What is the best fix for this issue, besides upgrading to a Mavic Air 2? I have Gorilla super glue and also Gorilla hot glue sticks. Has anyone used JB Weld on plastics? Any tips or tricks would be amazing because I could almost break down in tears right now as I can no longer fly.
Months ago I also flew into my carport at night and experienced the exact same flying actions as you did with the same results, 2 broken arms. The cause - the mini in the dark couldn't use the downward optical sensor for positioning and when the GPS reception was blocked, it went into "ATTI mode". In ATTI, instead of a normal stick response it coasts to a stop when you expect it to put the brakes on immediately. You have to counteract a direction with some exact opposite stick to stop the motion. Takes some getting used to and can be a fun way to fly but you will be out of control really quickly unless you are expecting it. Practice it with lots of room around.

As for my arm repair, I used some 2 part epoxy vary sparingly and filed and sanded unneeded parts off to keep the weight under 250 grams which is important to me. The repair ain't pretty but has held up for 7 - 8 months.

If it was a crack I'd say just glue it up with epoxy, as it a complete detachment of the motor, I'd say it would have to be a new arm/motor replacement

Last edited:
Reactions: PistonPete
Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes its a rear arm that's way too close to the motor. I'm going to try super glue today as a temporary fix but I'm afraid it'll end up gluing the motor in place. I'll also shop around town for some 2 part epoxy. The replacement arm in the link is a heck of a deal and cheaper than I thought it would be but its a little over a month shipping time to me. Nothing else on the bird is damaged as far as I can tell.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes its a rear arm that's way too close to the motor. I'm going to try super glue today as a temporary fix but I'm afraid it'll end up gluing the motor in place. I'll also shop around town for some 2 part epoxy. The replacement arm in the link is a heck of a deal and cheaper than I thought it would be but its a little over a month shipping time to me. Nothing else on the bird is damaged as far as I can tell.
Real bad place to glue I'd go new arm from AliExpress my self ! $8.63 includes motor, and that's NZ $

Not a good candidate for repair.
Seriously - you need to afford a new arm. :(

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78