DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Budget laptop for 4 k video editing

MGVision

Reactions
I'd advise buying desktop instead if possible. While on paper laptop specs look similar, and they are able to get similar performance in short peaks, in long heavy workloads like 4k video encoding pretty much all but very expensive gaming or workstation models lose a lot of it due to thermal or power throttling.

If you stick to a laptop, editing will be possible, but not very comfortable either way at this pricepoint. RTX2060 would give you a bit of a boost, if the difference is about $150-200 or less then go for it. I'd also suggest to look for something with 32GB RAM if possible, memory is super cheap right now, and it makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Yes to desktop first.

But a laptop is nice to have on the road (and may be your only option now). I got one recently for remote work away from my desktop.

Your biggest hit is going to be the display, not so much in display speed performance as much as just being small and not being a 4K screen, being only 56% sRGB / 35% AdobeRGB. That's not going to remove the quality from the source, you just won't see it as much on that display.

My laptop was the same i7 proc and also the GXT1060 6GB (I ended up with 32GB of system memory though). Using Davinci Resolve on this, I would say that it works fine, though the preview window during editing is going to look spotty during editing (you will have to do renders to see your video in all it's glory).

I don't know that the RTX would be a better graphics platform for video editing/rendering (as it is for gaming) and it also does not have more memory (6GB, right?}. How either graphics card performs will depend on the editor you use, it's support for the encoding you chose while shooting (h.265?), and if it uses hardware acceleration (makes full use of the GPU on your graphics adapter). In other words, you might get a better processor, but not make full use of it.

Chris

Reactions: MGVision
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter