DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy Mavic Now or Wait?

I'm a drone newbie. It took me about 2 1/2 yrs to decide on a drone. As soon as I was about to make a decision, the mavic came out. I bought it. For the minimal times I will be able to use it, it is the one I decided will last me for quite a while. Unless I get stupid with it, which I don't plan to do. Lol
My wife wishes I was like you.

Three months after thinking a drone might be a laugh I have the Syma X5c, the Mavic Pro and P4P+.

Just posted asking about where I should buy a mavic but I always seem to buy tech then find a new model is out like the next **** month. Should I wait with this? I am in no rush what so ever...

If you're in no rush then wait.
But then when MP2 comes out you'll want to avoid ordering until all the bugs are ironed out.
Then of course it will be time to ask ... should I wait for the MP3?

I was at Best Buy the other day. Out-of-stock on the MP again. I don't think DJI will be in any especial rush to move on to the next - possibly for all of 2017.

I was at Best Buy the other day. Out-of-stock on the MP again. I don't think DJI will be in any especial rush to move on to the next - possibly for all of 2017.
I concur, probably towards Christmas before an improved version comes out.
There's a fair chance that soon we'll see hard-wired ability for more technical restrictions being enabled remotely as legislation changes. They can already do that unless you don't update or go online ever, but it can only get worse.

I think that the MP is so many steps further others that i can't imagine big improvements in the near future, so i would indeed buy one now.

While I'm sure DJI are working on a new Mavic I can't see it being released shortly, they've barely managed to get decent stock levels, the Mavic currently has no real competition and it's a solid all round device without any big flaws that a quick new model would need to fix.

I certainly don't regret my Mavic which has been great for just carrying with me all over the place, a better camera would certainly be nice but I suspect that may not be feasible while keeping the size down and certainly will mean more money.

John

Get it now. Indeed you do not know how heavy built-in/ governmental restrictions will be imposed upon this hobby. Enjoy it now, it is still possible. DJI also knows their market will shrink significantly since people like myself will start assembling their own frankensteins by then.

So I don't have a drone and saved for one my mavic will be here Monday. With that said if I already had a drone that might be different is the drone you have meet your needs till the new one comes out. If I was waiting for a drone that had all the stuff I wanted I would never get a drone. I know there will be something better that comes out that's the name of the game. I don't see DJI coming out with a mavic anytime soon (less then 12 months) the mavic is still out of stock at a lot of places

Reactions: Gp™
You have more chance of this hobby being limited by rules and regulations than the tech coming out to be honest. If I were you i'd get the drone you want now and enjoy flying it with relative freedom as thats going to change everywhere in 12-18 months i'm sure. I can see drones of the not to distant future being more heavily restricted speed, range and altitude wise due to them falling into the hands of complete and utter numpties. Enjoy it now bud, our kids wont be doing this as a recreational hobby thats for sure. Thumbswayup
I agree!

I've read mega rumors that the next Mavic to be released will be the Mavic Standard.

The main features that will likely appear in a new Mavic would be additional OA sensors and a better camera. Not likely to offer better battery, better portability, better flying characteristics, etc. Regarding Mavic vs Phantom, if you are doing this professionally and want a better camera, then sure, a Phantom would offer some improvement but the Mavic camera is really good too and while you might need to do more editing (in my experience there are some focus issues during each flight), the Mavic should be fine for real estate and footage for many commercial jobs. For movies, television, commercials, etc., the Mavic will not be ideal.

People talk about the portability difference and this could not be emphasized enough. Not only is it so much easier to transport, bring on trips, etc., the really big difference is that it is so much less conspicuous. As most of us have learned the hard way, most people and all authorities do not like drones. With the Mavic, you can go into any area and nobody will know you have it. It is also super fast to go from the bag to the sky and once you land you can pop it back in the bag in seconds and you're gone. I have flown a few times with friends who have Phantoms and it's much different. It's pretty obvious that you have the Phantom when you enter an area so everyone knows what you are up to. It also takes time to take it out of the bag, put on the props and get it ready to fly. It's also noisier and easier to see in the sky. When you are done and want to leave, it takes time to put away and as you are leaving if the police want to give you a ticket, it's easy for them to spot you. So in summary, if your intention is to have fun flying and take some really great videos for your own personal use, the Mavic has many advantages over the competition and the new features are likely not to be that much of a game changer. If we knew a new one was coming out soon, sure the better camera and side and back OA would be great, but the value of this Mavic is likely to still be in the $400-600 range so it's not like it would be a waste to buy now.

To be Able to decide to buy or no to, you need to fly one, feel it in your hands, love him or not. I LOVE MINE.

Can not imagine loosing it, goes with me to no mather were i go. Most of the times, no video, no photos, just the pleasure of flying. I LOVE MY MAVIC PRO

I have the P4 and a Mavic and the Mavic sees 10X more airtime. 250 flights versus 25 since November 2016. Reason? The Mavic is inconspicous, fast set up, portable, flies better in high winds 25 MPH and up, quiet, stealthy with similar photo and video quality. things might be different if I had a P4 Pro though...

Reactions: dewster
I've read mega rumors that the next Mavic to be released will be the Mavic Standard.

Standard? as in Standard vs Pro...ergo a new Mavic with less features and/ or performance...what good will that do?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4