DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bye-bye tablet.

my iPad 4 mini is the only Apple product I use - but it works great as a monitor for my Mavic Pro. I wish it were a bit brighter sometimes, but otherwise, excellent.

While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.
Amazon has a new battery for $36, or a new NSK1 for $200. Maybe you were just waiting for it to die and replace?

While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.
I like to narriate the videos that I capture with my DJI Mavic-2 Zoom. My tablet is the Apple iPad Mini-4.
The Apple iPad Mini-4 does not show the 'Cache' files. Those are the ones that I want to download and use. I don't want to get into the video editing.

does anyone know how to get the 'cache' files out of the Apple iPad mini-4 without having to go to iTunes?
Is there a program or a USB device to just copy or move the files from the Apple iPad Mini-4 out?

How about an Android tablet? Which one is best and that will fit into the controller's bracket?
I wish Apple hadn't locked the 'cache' files. I can download the files from the Mavic 2 Zoom OK, it's the 'cache' files I want to get to.
Please help.
[email protected]

I just wanted to mention that I bought Litchi ONCE for my iPad, and since then, I've been able to install it for free on all my other phones (A Google Pixel 2, a Samsung S6 edge, and a Samsung S8. I only had to pay the one time. They seem to let you install it on multiple platforms for the one price.

It's the same for Android. I bought Litchi once for my original Android tablet and was able to install it free on my next tablet (the Nvidia Shield K1). That's why I was leaning toward another Android tablet so I can install my purchased apps on the new tablet. After watching and reviews for various tablets I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e. At the moment it is charging and updating/installing apps. Once that's done I try it out with the Mavic.

I am very happy with my Apple iPad 6th generation 9.7inch screen, 32 GB, software version 12.3.1. It has a nice, big screen to see what my Mavic Air is seeing, and no problem with DJIGo4 app or upgrades. I use the Skyreat holder for Mavic Air. I am much happier with this than the iPhone Xs Max.

Updates finished and apps installed. I'm not going to get a chance to fly it tonight as a storm is brewing and the wind has really started to pick up. I did turn it on in the house to make sure it will work with both Go 4 and Litchi. Both programs ran while I went through the settings in both apps. The only thing I noticed was a slight video lag of about 1/2 second or less. Since the only USB-A to USB-C cable I have is a charging cable that may be the problem. I ordered a short high-speed cable and will test again when it is delivered.

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 128GB model with 6GB RAM rather than the cheaper model which had 4GB RAM.

late to the game, is there a reason we don't look to the amazon tablets? processor? i have a few of those laying around. but now i am interested in the new apple ipod as someone mentioned earlier....
That iPod looks pretty good @ $200 for a 32mb one, but the one issue that I would be concerned about are the updates may kill its memory after a little while. It happened to my first iPhone. If you do go that route, get a higher capacity memory one. Call me “someone“

I use a ZenPad™ Z8s. It has a data plan from Verizon but not necessary for flying drone. Comes in handy though for updating in the field. I paid $50 for it through verizon. You can buy it for about $120 online at amazon.

I have never had any issues with it, only a few lost connections to Mavic Pro flying over huge metal structure.

I am not suggesting it is greatest solution but Nexus 7 (2013) is still hard to beat for brightness, (I think 530 nits) at 7" is bit small but fits! in the controller and allows to fit shade on that really bright day. Runs both Go 4 and Litchi flawlessly. It has wireless charging - less stress for Micro USB connector. Rock solid connection with controller is a must for the safe operation. Cheap enough to use it as dedicated device. Too bad Google did not come with better device in 6 years.

I started with a Samsung tab a 10.1 and found it too heavy so I chose Samsung tab 8.1 and I love it. Bought it used on Ebay for $65. Recently the battery went bad and I went to YouTube and replaced that for $12 after learning how to do it.

I just purchased an iPad mini. Like you, I have never purchased Apple products. In my case, I absolutely marvel at their hardware, but the software that drives these things is incredibly poor. As one example (and this is from someone who spent his whole career in computer software) iTunes is perhaps the worst conceived popular program in the history of computers. I can't tell you how many times, with my wife's Apple products, that iTunes has managed to delete every single photo or music file ("sync" is evil).

Despite that mini-rant, I think you will find that the iPad mini is a near-ideal controller, and that its processor gives you better video and an overall better experience than what you had before.

I'll be interested in what you report, once you've got it up and running and have used it for a few flights.
I agree that some of the Apple software sucks, but I fly with the Apple iPad 6th generation and flows with the dji go 4 app and Litchi app beautifully, I wouldn't own an Android for flying, Android is made for way to many products where as Apple OS is made by Apple and only for Apple products, which in my opinion is the way to go.

Reactions: ItsDarts
I like to narriate the videos that I capture with my DJI Mavic-2 Zoom. My tablet is the Apple iPad Mini-4.
The Apple iPad Mini-4 does not show the 'Cache' files. Those are the ones that I want to download and use. I don't want to get into the video editing.

does anyone know how to get the 'cache' files out of the Apple iPad mini-4 without having to go to iTunes?
Is there a program or a USB device to just copy or move the files from the Apple iPad Mini-4 out?

How about an Android tablet? Which one is best and that will fit into the controller's bracket?
I wish Apple hadn't locked the 'cache' files. I can download the files from the Mavic 2 Zoom OK, it's the 'cache' files I want to get to.
Please help.
[email protected]

Have a look at “iFunbox” I like it. Hate iTunes

yea it a PITA and the last time I did that on my phone I had all kinda of problem with it not working right, ended up having to do a factory reset and all the BS that involves. if android can make clearing the cach easy why can't the much bragged about apple do it .

What is in the cache and is it important that it be cleared and Why?

I use an Ipad mini. It works great.

Not goggles ... Glasses with screen in them.
You can see the flight screen window and watch your drone at the same time (no spotter needed) .
The only issue-non issues is you have to Side load your flight app.

On the side of the
controller-mouse pad
they have a slot for a sd-micro card.
It truly is a game changer when flying your drone....
No longer will you have to look down at your flight screen then try to establish eyes on your drone also The remote is nolonger cumbersome to hold onto because the flight screen is in your glasses..
I wear +200 reader but don't use them when I wear the moviero bt300
.Again you can find a used pair for $3-400
....cR

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
Not goggles ... Glasses with screen in them.
You can see the flight screen window and watch your drone at the same time (no spotter needed) .
The only issue-non issues is you have to Side load your flight app.

On the side of the
controller-mouse pad
they have a slot for a sd-micro card.
It truly is a game changer when flying your drone....
No longer will you have to look down at your flight screen then try to establish eyes on your drone also The remote is nolonger cumbersome to hold onto because the flight screen is in your glasses..
I wear +200 reader but don't use them when I wear the moviero bt300
.Again you can find a used pair for $3-400
....cR

I love the idea. However, after reading your post I went in search of a used pair. I couldn't find a used pair for under $500.00. Please inform me where a pair can be had for $300-$400. I'll purchase them in a heartbeat.

Please help.
[email protected]

You need to "root" the Ipad in order to gain full control of its capabilities. Plus, after "rooting" you are able to delete or turn off the factory bloatware which is using both memory and cpu resources.

I'm not a nerd but after watching a dozen or so YouTube instructionals I was able to "root" both my Nexus 7 tablet and Samsung Note 4. Neither of these are expensive(I don't have $200 in the pair). That said, neither has "crashed" the Go App and my drone can't tell the difference between my junk and an expensive piece of equipment. With the money I saved on a tablet/phone I just ordered a complete Titan Switch setup.

The drones we operate are a marriage of a plethora technologies. Personally, I believe its necessary to understand the basics of each of the technologies in order to make the most of our hard earned money and to make informed choices when its time to purchase a piece of kit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom