DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bypass height limit

That's actually not a bad idea, the only problem is that it would adjust your RTH to that place, so I hope you can pick it up there once it should trigger haha.
Does the Mini 2 not have the option to RTH to device instead of Launch point? Can't find any info or posts about it? Any DJI classed above it can...seems odd they would leave out such a feature.

Does the Mini 2 not have the option to RTH to device instead of Launch point? Can't find any info or posts about it? Any DJI classed above it can...seems odd they would leave out such a feature.
Forgot to mention that in my post above... but any landing that resets AGL also sets that TO spot as home... do yo can’t RTC... must fly it home... at least on my M2P.

Forgot to mention that in my post above... but any landing that resets AGL also sets that TO spot as home... do yo can’t RTC... must fly it home... at least on my M2P.
Or, change HP to RC location if it doesn't object to the mobile device GPS. Fly app lets you move the HP in the map so there's that approach too. Don't know if DJI also added that trick to Go app.

Used the landing trick to fly above a 2300’ summit in the Santan Mountains near me... tricky , and you must have VLOS... just don’t power anything off when you land at distance... wait 10-20 seconds, then TO and the landing area is registered as zero altitude.. Then you have another 1600’ or so to climb. Just be sure, in the U.S., to stay within 400’ laterally to the mountain and below 400’ above the summit/high point.
The 400 above peak within 400 ft is only for structural, such as power poles, antennas and buildings, and only for 107 flights. As long as you're within 400 ft above the ground directly beneath, you're legal. Basically just follow the changes in terrain altitude.

The 400 above peak within 400 ft is only for structural, such as power poles, antennas and buildings, and only for 107 flights. As long as you're within 400 ft above the ground directly beneath, you're legal. Basically just follow the changes in terrain altitude.
Your first sentence is incorrect. 400’ is the max legal altitude and has nothing to do with any of the objects in the sentence and does not require 107.
Your second sentence is correct.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
You are mistaken. 107 fliers can go 400ft above a structure as long as they are within 400ft of the structure. This was put in the rules so drones could be used for inspections of towers and buildings that are close to or taller than 400ft.

Recreational fliers don't get that leeway.

This doesn't apply to terrain changes. You can't exceed 400ft AGL simply because you're within 400ft of higher terrain, like a steep slope or cliff.

You said: "Just be sure, in the U.S., to stay within 400’ laterally to the mountain and below 400’ above the summit/high point."
400ft lateral has nothing to do with allowed altitude for terrain. You can be 500ft lateral, just be sure you're below 400ft from ground directly beneath.
That statement sounded like the rule with allowing above 400ft AGL if within 400ft of structure, hence my comment.

Last edited:
You are mistaken. 107 fliers can go 400ft above a structure as long as they are within 400ft of the structure. This was put in the rules so drones could be used for inspections of towers and buildings that are close to or taller than 400ft.

Recreational fliers don't get that leeway.

This doesn't apply to terrain changes. You can't exceed 400ft AGL simply because you're within 400ft of higher terrain, like a steep slope or cliff.

You said: "Just be sure, in the U.S., to stay within 400’ laterally to the mountain and below 400’ above the summit/high point."
400ft lateral has nothing to do with allowed altitude for terrain. You can be 500ft lateral, just be sure you're below 400ft from ground directly beneath.
That statement sounded like the rule with allowing above 400ft AGL if within 400ft of structure, hence my comment.
Understand. Mountains or buildings are treated the same as far as legal height and distance from the object

Understand. Mountains or buildings are treated the same as far as legal height and distance from the object
That is not correct. Mountains and other terrain are not treated the same as buildings and other structures. When dealing with terrain, it is strictly 400 feet AGL, as in straight down below you. So if you were to fly a few feet over the wall of a canyon and the canyon floor is 700 feet below the drone (straight line distance vertically down) then you are not flying legally. Yes even if you are 10 feet away from the drone standing on solid ground. Sure it's stupid but it's the way the regulations are written.

That is not correct. Mountains and other terrain are not treated the same as buildings and other structures. When dealing with terrain, it is strictly 400 feet AGL, as in straight down below you. So if you were to fly a few feet over the wall of a canyon and the canyon floor is 700 feet below the drone (straight line distance vertically down) then you are not flying legally. Yes even if you are 10 feet away from the drone standing on solid ground. Sure it's stupid but it's the way the regulations are written.
I doubt though anyone would enforce 400AGL just for going right over a cliff.

I doubt though anyone would enforce 400AGL just for going right over a cliff.
True. The actual regulation and enforcement thereof are two totally different things. That was just an example.

True. The actual regulation and enforcement thereof are two totally different things. That was just an example.
Understood and agree. I was just adding that one not be overly concerned about being incidentally over 400ft while being close to steep terrain.

Just a Q of curiosity: If I fly my Mini2 to 400ft high mountin and land there, stop the motors and take-off again will I then be able to fly another 400ft??
You can fly legally 400' AGL and 400' above any obstacles such as buildings. That means if you fly in hills or mountains, you may fly 400' AboveTheGroundLevel at the point below you. The answer to your question is "Yes." The problem, flying in hills and mountains is the "know" how high you are. Even if you land and take off again, you are only 400' above the point where you take off. As the hill slopes down, you are immediately more than 400'.
There is one drone (I do not know which) that can ascend, keeping the same AGL, as you fly up a hill. The problem there is that it does NOT descend as your hill goes down.
Litchi is one program in which you can program your waypoints to maintain your same AGL as the drone ascends and descends.

You can fly legally 400' AGL and 400' above any obstacles such as buildings.
This is NOT true for recreational pilots. The terrain part is correct. However buildings and any other man-made structures are not considered terrain. 400 feet over structures holds true ONLY for Part 107 pilots flying a Part 107 flight, and only if all other applicable FAA regulations are being followed (controlled airspace, VLOS etc).

Reactions: Thomas B
Inspired by this :

an idea just flashed across my mind : stick a Mini to the top of a powerful drone such as M2 or P4 by velco tapes. Take the Mini to 500m, lauch the Mini there, hopefully the velco will break lose, then the Mini can go to 1000m.
If he took the props off the Mini... why not keep the drone folded up?

This is NOT true for recreational pilots. The terrain part is correct. However buildings and any other man-made structures are not considered terrain. 400 feet over structures holds true ONLY for Part 107 pilots flying a Part 107 flight, and only if all other applicable FAA regulations are being followed (controlled airspace, VLOS etc).
Thanks for the correction. I'll have to read the rules again. Of course, abiding by controlled airspace and VLOS are a given in every case.

The old "Piggy Back" system :) I'm sure the OP is ready to try that, only cost him $1000+ and maybe lose both aircraft ;) But yeah...I wanted to do that with a Inspire. :)
Tried it and doesn't work.
Inspired by this :

an idea just flashed across my mind : stick a Mini to the top of a powerful drone such as M2 or P4 by velco tapes. Take the Mini to 500m, lauch the Mini there, hopefully the velco will break lose, then the Mini can go to 1000m.
Doesn't work, just get imu error

I tried contacting NASA to see if they'd release their sdk packet for the Mars Rotocopter, in hopes to update mine. So far no luck.

Reactions: DJayI
I tried contacting NASA to see if they'd release their sdk packet for the Mars Rotocopter, in hopes to update mine. So far no luck.
Last I heard Ingenuity had been put on a delay. I'm sure they'll send it to as soon a they are sure all is A.O.K.
Here's the link when they get it working...
ingenu.mars/SDK

Reactions: Mac282
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki