DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA Drone Registration

I’m seriously worried seeing some of these replies.
I’m going for my Pfco licence and I’m horrified that there will be unregistered pilots just doing what they want. It will just spoilt it for those of us who take it seriously who want to make a business out of it !?!?

I've registered myself anyway and wondering the best way to label my Mavic Pro 1 and 2, I was thinking under the battery as that keeps it out of the elements. I'm not au fait with label technology so wondering is there a recommended type which is easily removable but won't come off itself?

The labelling guide (PDF) says the number has to be clearly visible while the drone is landed and without needing to open any compartments, etc. Annoying, because I was planning on using the battery compartment for durability too. Not half as annoying as for those with historical model aircraft that now need a non-authentic number on their model though...

As for labels, I've already got a Dymo labeller which will do nicely as it automatically generates a laminated label that is fairly robust but can be removed if required. They're not particularly expensive (about £25 for pretty decent basic models) and very useful for other things, so may be worth picking one up from Amazon, Staples, etc. Failing that, a bit of paper under a strip of clear waterproof tape will do just fine in a pinch. Either way, expect to have to replace it every few years as they will fade due to exposure to sunlight, etc.

You can get more durable labels, but they generally come with more durable (read "permanent") adhesive too, e.g. Seton asset tags and similar. I'd only consider those if you are definitely not planning on giving/selling the drone to someone else. Alternatively, go with a temporary solution (e.g. paper and sellotape) for now and wait for the inevitable mail-order label service from one of the UK's drone service companies to be advertised here...

I feel it's more for show than anything else particularly in light of the Gatwick drone affair. People were frequently complaining that there needs to be a tightening of the drone laws seemingly oblivious of the fact that the flights (if there even was a drone) were completely illegal under existing rules anyway.

I've registered myself anyway and wondering the best way to label my Mavic Pro 1 and 2, I was thinking under the battery as that keeps it out of the elements. I'm not au fait with label technology so wondering is there a recommended type which is easily removable but won't come off itself?
I am using a Brother label printer and will put it in the battery compartment.

I was thinking it would be ok since the battery doesn't need a special tool to remove it:

How to label your drone or model aircraft
Your operator ID must be:

• visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft
  • clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
  • secure and safe from damage
  • on the main body of the aircraft
  • easy to read when the aircraft is on the ground

But then it would fall foul of the last point I guess? The rules seem a bit contradictory because if it's to be visible from the ground then surely it can't be under any compartment regardless of whether it needs a tool or not but then putting it under the battery would satisfy the third requirement better.

I'm perhaps overthinking this and should just whack a label on the side, I'm just concerned about the label coming loosed and being pulled into the props since it will be exposed to varying warm and cold conditions.

The label is supposed to be visible without removing the battery...

To be clear, the full list of labelling requirements is as follows:
  1. Visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft
  2. Clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
  3. Secure and safe from damage
  4. On the main body of the aircraft
  5. Easy to read when the aircraft is on the ground
With the riders that:
  1. You should use a removable label as your operator ID.
  2. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.
  3. Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID.
The bit about "a special tool" seems to imply that inside the battery compartment would actually be OK, but I don't think that's entirely compatible with being easy to read when on the ground. It is somewhat open to interpretation though, since once the battery is removed (which does not need a special tool) it *would* be easy to read on the ground... Like some of the questions in the test, it appears that this could have benefitted from a little more proof-reading for clarity as well...

I'm thinking the side might be best as if the label does come loose in flight then it seems more likely that it would just be pushed down and away by the wash, rather than fouling a motor or propeller.

Just applied for mine. 18 out of 20, one of the wrong answers seem questionable.. the other... I would have expected it to be another answer, but nevermind. Now I know.
Hopefully, this is all I need and that's it for a while or until Cap 1789 comes into play in June 2020?

I feel it's more for show than anything else particularly in light of the Gatwick drone affair. People were frequently complaining that there needs to be a tightening of the drone laws seemingly oblivious of the fact that the flights (if there even was a drone) were completely illegal under existing rules anyway.

You need to label your drones so that if you lose it. someone can just see it without removing anything pats or covers like the battery. So it has to be on the outside surface..
I was thinking the same thing.. I'm just gonna put a strip on the underside of one of the legs..

and an answer to your second.. It's a little bit of a waste of time and money, but remember those old label guns that stamp out what you turn and then you cut and stick it on.. Those would do well in the elements.. If not.. Sellotape and a small label..

I went into my local Police Station today to ask about enforcement of the new registration scheme. No one knew anything about it and they even phoned the main Police HQ in Belfast to see what was going on. Apparently they have heard nothing from the CAA about it.

Off to a great start.

• Haha
Reactions: KobeFlight1981
I went into my local Police Station today to ask about enforcement of the new registration scheme. No one knew anything about it and they even phoned the main Police HQ in Belfast to see what was going on. Apparently they have heard nothing from the CAA about it.

Off to a great start.

SSssshhhh, keep it quiet then :)

Off to a great start.
The police can't do anything unless you are actually flying in front of people's windows etc etc.. as well as if the aviation authority phones them.. don't worry about it ;p

Do we get any ID cards or are we supposed to .... write our own?

For £9, let alone the initially proposed £16.50, I was definitely expecting one - just a credit card sized piece of plastic (or even card) we could stick in our wallets or camera bags would do. No such luck; we're supposed to print out the email and take that with us, apparently. Or you could PDF it and put it on your phone, but that might be a bit more hassle if you're in the middle of flying in the unlikely event that you actually get challenged at some point; much easier if you can say "Look for the bit of paper in the front pocket of the camera bag, mate!"

I'm going to knock up my own on a bit of card and laminate it, one per camera bag plus one for my wallet. I think both IDs and renewal dates will be more than sufficient, although I might even stick the CAA logo on the edge as a frame to make it look a bit swish and official as well...

For £9, let alone the initially proposed £16.50, I was definitely expecting one - just a credit card sized piece of plastic (or even card) we could stick in our wallets or camera bags would do. No such luck; we're supposed to print out the email and take that with us, apparently. Or you could PDF it and put it on your phone, but that might be a bit more hassle if you're in the middle of flying in the unlikely event that you actually get challenged at some point; much easier if you can say "Look for the bit of paper in the front pocket of the camera bag, mate!"

I'm going to knock up my own on a bit of card and laminate it, one per camera bag plus one for my wallet. I think both IDs and renewal dates will be more than sufficient, although I might even stick the CAA logo on the edge as a frame to make it look a bit swish and official as well...

That sucks....
I have to carry a bloody Autocar business card with my hand written details on the back lol.. typical cheapskates robbing B######s
I have actually emailed them to ask and I'm going to press the issue with them on the fact that anyone could just copy and make up an Operator ID and Fly ID, and the public wouldn't even no the difference.
If I required to carry and wear my photo ID's around when I use to work for them, then they should offer it us to make it official and lawful...

I have actually emailed them to ask and I'm going to press the issue with them on the fact that anyone could just copy and make up an Operator ID and Fly ID, and the public wouldn't even no the difference.

You could absolutely get away with that for general members of the public, but if you are being formally challenged by someone with the ability to actually do something about it (e.g. the police) then they're supposedly able to verify it on the spot by calling the CAA who will then check their DB (what, you were expecting a swish online verification system?). Of course, whether they'd actually know to do that - or even be able to get the number to call since I doubt they'll have it on them - is another matter entirely.

Personally, I think it's just going to business as usual for pilots, only we're now paying £9/year for the "privilege".

Reactions: KobeFlight1981
Personally, I think it's just going to business as usual for pilots, only we're now paying £9/year for the "privilege".
LOL so true, but at least it's not £16.. but I do wonder. Operator ID is 1 year for renewal.. Flyer ID is 3 years.. so it should be cheaper next year??... (cos I'll only be going for the operator ID... one would assume :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (assumption is the mother of all f-ups.. )

LOL so true, but at least it's not £16.. but I do wonder. Operator ID is 1 year for renewal.. Flyer ID is 3 years.. so it should be cheaper next year??... (cos I'll only be going for the operator ID... one would assume :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (assumption is the mother of all f-ups.. )
Nah, flyer ID is free. Anyone can fly a drone for nothing, but the owner (operator) has to register and cough up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu