DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cache any maps for my Mavic 2 Pro?

Dnflyer

Reactions
I’m new here, so I apologize if this is in a thread that I haven’t found yet.

I have a new 2 Pro and have searched for a way to cache maps to my Iphone. The DJI GO 4 app doesn’t offer the iption unless I am missing it entirely. I have read that the option wasn’t available in 2017 for Apple products...is that still the case in 2019?

I’m new here, so I apologize if this is in a thread that I haven’t found yet.

I have a new 2 Pro and have searched for a way to cache maps to my Iphone. The DJI GO 4 app doesn’t offer the iption unless I am missing it entirely. I have read that the option wasn’t available in 2017 for Apple products...is that still the case in 2019?

You can kinda cache maps but only for the current session. Once you quit the app you lose the cache. If you just switch to a different app and keep DJI Go open in the background you will save your maps cache.

If using a device without cell service open DJI Go 4 somewhere with WiFi. Move the map to where you will be flying, zoom in zoom out so you get all the details and then as long as you don’t force quit the app or turn off your device you’ll have the map.

It is nice on Android to have that feature but one thing iOS has that Android doesn’t is even if you don’t have cell service GPS still works. So if you move from the original home point and you turn on dynamic home point in the main menu settings then the Mavic will still be able to follow you

Wait even iPhones won't cache maps? like the maps won't load up when you start DJI go 4? I thought that was just the thing for the iOS tablets

Ok thats what i thought lol

Google maps on iOS allows you to cache map areas for later use offline (both on iPhones and on iPads). I do this on my two devices.

More info...

Google maps on iOS allows you to cache map areas for later use offline (both on iPhones and on iPads). I do this on my two devices.

More info...
Ok cool so question i did download a pretty big area in a spot that I usually fly with my new iPad and Google Maps just to see if it would work without hotspotting with my phone how do you get it to show up in the maps? Is it because dji doesnt use google maps? Ive basically had to use a hotspot because map was empty

Ok cool so question i did download a pretty big area in a spot that I usually fly with my new iPad and Google Maps just to see if it would work without hotspotting with my phone how do you get it to show up in the maps? Is it because dji doesnt use google maps? Ive basically had to use a hotspot because map was empty

You do not need a third-party app to use Google maps offline in the DJI Go app. You can cache offline maps directly via the Google Maps app. Here are the steps to do so...

Step 1: Open Google Maps and click on the "hamburger" menu (the icon with three stacked horizontal lines) on the left side of the search text box and choose "Offline maps".

0a.png

Step 2: Choose "Custom map" and follow the on-screen instructions

1a.png

Step 3: You can test the offline maps at home/office by putting your phone in "Airplane" mode, which turns off cellular, wifi, and bluetooth. Now, from within the DJI Go app, tap on the map inset thumbnail to expand it to full screen. Ensure that the map type is set to "Standard" and not Satellite or Hybrid. Your map should display while offline. To get back to "Camera" mode, simply tap on the camera image thumbnail (it may be a black thumbnail if not connected to your aircraft). Finally, do not forget to turn off Airplane mode when you are finished.

2a.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole