DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibrated altitude in Flight Radar24

TnDronePilot

Reactions
So I live right under a flight path for Lifestar and military helicopters. I obviously don't see Kiowa and Black Hawks on my Flight Radar24 app because they fly with tracking restricted but, they generally fly at about the same altitude as the Lifestar which does show tracking info. I've had my drone up to 400ft above my head and I could be wrong but it seems very close to the altitude of these aircraft. I'm not flying while they're inbound and in fact not even when they're way out there where I can barely hear the blades slapping the air.

When they're passing over the house, the calibrated altitude that Flight Radar24 displays between 1800ft-2100ft above MSL and given that my home is 1055 above MSL, on the low side, that puts them at roughly 745ft AGL. I was wondering if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me because of the scale between my 12in MA2 and a 64ft Black Hawk but they don't seem much higher up than my drone at 400ft. I'm guessing it's probably hard to see a 345ft difference looking straight up in the sky. Next time I catch a pilot on the hospital helipad, I'll ask them if they can do a flyby right over my drone. You know, just for research purposes.;)

So I live right under a flight path for Lifestar and military helicopters. I obviously don't see Kiowa and Black Hawks on my Flight Radar24 app because they fly with tracking restricted but, they generally fly at about the same altitude as the Lifestar which does show tracking info. I've had my drone up to 400ft above my head and I could be wrong but it seems very close to the altitude of these aircraft. I'm not flying while they're inbound and in fact not even when they're way out there where I can barely hear the blades slapping the air.

When they're passing over the house, the calibrated altitude that Flight Radar24 displays between 1800ft-2100ft above MSL and given that my home is 1055 above MSL, on the low side, that puts them at roughly 745ft AGL. I was wondering if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me because of the scale between my 12in MA2 and a 64ft Black Hawk but they don't seem much higher up than my drone at 400ft. I'm guessing it's probably hard to see a 345ft difference looking straight up in the sky. Next time I catch a pilot on the hospital helipad, I'll ask them if they can do a flyby right over my drone. You know, just for research purposes.;)
I would agree your perception is off it’s easily fooled by not really perceiving the size which is how we judge distance.

Reactions: TnDronePilot

I'm in the flight path of FLL and 1500' looks the same as 400' to me!

You might be able to see those flights on radarbox. I run a FR24 Raspberry pi feeder and use the tar1090 on my lan from it to see nearly everything that is up there. It beats all of the sites.

I too have seen planes seeming to be lower than they should. They're usually landing, but I'm at 4 miles from runway. None of the flights I'm interested in show up in FR24.
Heck, the class D airport doesn't show up in FR24.

FlightAware is aware of the airport though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929