DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can’t shut off Air 2 or get battery out?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Well I'm not glad, but you know what I mean. I noticed at least one of the batteries doesn't actually turn off. It goes into a blinking frenzy. With that said, I don't have any physical issues.
If any of your other batteries are showing signs of not working correctly, I’d store them outdoors until you hear from DJI!

Reactions: boredom.is.me
Seems like this battery issue has nothing to do with flying in hot weather: there is a chip on the battery (MOSFET) that is malfunctioning, which ends up causing the meltdown seen here.
I grant you your explanation makes great sense. I was wondering if the overall conditions preceding the battery failure were accelerated/aggravated by the ambient temperature at that place at that time. Call it a catalyst. That’s all.

I grant you your explanation makes great sense. I was wondering if the overall conditions preceding the battery failure were accelerated/aggravated by the ambient temperature at that place at that time. Call it a catalyst. That’s all.
Nice idea, but if you read the thread on the subject, it doesn’t sound like ambient temp has anything to do with it. Sounds very much like a component failure issue.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Been seeing a fair number of these, hope DJI does the right thing and honors your warranty.
Agreed, I was planing on upgrading from my Mavic Air to the Air 2, I am putting off buying this until these problems are solved.
Considering the Mavic Pro2, twice as much, but hope it's more proven to have less problems and last awhile.

That's a strange problem. I didn't believe the first report..I thought it was a spoof..sorry my bad...
My Mavic Air 2 and the batteries run cool and are very slow charging. My new "replacement" Mavic Air 1 is another story for another time :(

have you just got the drone ?
i would be back to the store with it unless you got mail order.
Yes I have just got my drone. But would they take it back or replace it just because a few people have had issues?
there is a chip on the battery (MOSFET) that is malfunctioning, which ends up causing the meltdown seen here.
I understand that as the battery is labeled a 'smart battery' and because of the functions it has (eg advises Fly how much charge it has left etc etc ) that it contains some type of circuitry and many components (mosfets etc) have an ideal working temperature and maybe that has been exceeded.

Reminds me of a particular brand/model of mobile/cell phone which caused problems in the past with the battery actually catching on fire. Thankfully the manufacturer addressed the problem very quickly.
Are batteries being stretched to the limit?

It would be great if anyone who has a similar problem posts the date of manufacture of the battery and the ambient temperature (atmospheric temperature) when flying to see if there is a 'trend'.

It would be great if anyone who has a similar problem posts the date of manufacture of the battery and the ambient temperature (atmospheric temperature) when flying to see if there is a 'trend'.
you might like to take a look at this thread

Same just happened to me. (MA2)
Battery damaged and also plastic melted in the battery compartment.
Thanks for this post, I forced the battery out with a knife just in time!!

I've opened and case with DJI, will be sending the drone for replacement.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's getting pretty warm

The battery is most likely swelled up . Best thing you can do is stick the drone
in the refrigerator and let it cool down , the battery will die out and with any luck the swelling will subside some and than you have to pry that battery out.

The risk is that you crack the housing trying to do that so its important that you get the swelling down.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I never buy extra warranty on electrical items because the common thought is that if they are going to fail it's going to be sooner rather than later. I'm wondering how many flights were on these burning batteries.
If I were returning a battery to DJI I would for sure send the drone back with it. It's been my experience that they will replace both.

I will add that since my last post in here, I haven't had a single issue. I've been keeping an eye to see if I could even identify which battery was giving me the issue, but it looks like it may have been resolved by the progressive firmware updates. Mine never showed any physical sign of malfunction.

Reactions: A.O.
Sorry for the damage to your battery. I hope the MA2 was not damaged.

Thanks for sharing this experience with the community. This helps all of us.

Now I have to be extra alert.

On my part, I only recharge the batteries when they are super cooled down already, say after at least 5 hours after they are used.

It won’t shut off and it’s blinking yellow light really fast and I cannot get the battery out to shut it down any suggestions
This literally just happened to me this morning. Thanks for the guy who said use a knife to pry out the battery. The battery has a hole where it was melting through. my house still smells like melting plastic. hopefully drone is still okay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato