DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can A Pro2Z Do This?

Dopper

Reactions
I presently have a Mavic (1) Pro Platimum and am considering a Mavic 2 Zoom. The reason for the upgrade is that I take a lot of horse riding Pics/videos. I find that I have to get too close to a horse and rider to get a nice close shot. I feel like it is dangerous for the rider to come in that close with some timid animals. Is it possible to get a head shot of a horse or full closeup picture or video of a horse and rider and still stay relatively far away?
Looking at video's on line it seems like you can stay pretty far out and still get a relatively clean detailed close-up. Any advice or comment? Thank you!

Last edited:
I presently have a Mavic Pro and am considering a Pro2Z. The reason for the upgrade is that I take a lot of horse riding Pics/videos. I find that I have to get too close to a horse and rider to get a nice close shot. I feel like it is dangerous for the rider to come in that close with some timid animals. Is it possible to get a head shot of a horse or full closeup picture or video of a horse and rider and still stay relatively far away?
Looking at video's on line it seems like you can stay pretty far out and still get a relatively clean detailed close-up. Any advice or comment? Thank you!
Sure.

I actually fly my Mavic Pro around horses all the time. My mother boards horses so she gets me to come out there and do promotional videos for her. Usually just let the horses sniff the drone before it goes into the air and let it hover in place just out of their reach for a little while and let them check it out. Never had an issue.
M2Zoom would be even better.

Now horses are like people you might have some that are intrigued and others that get POed so you never really know.

Reactions: Bill Dunnuck

As you've found, the wideangle lens of the M2 pro is not the ideal lens for good horse pix because you just have to get in too close to fill the frame.
The zoom only has a very short tele lens so it's still not going to be perfect for a head shot but it will be much better than the pro for what you want.
An SLR with a good tele zoom would be even better.

Last edited:
I got the M2 Zoom specifically so I could stay further from the subjects, filming wildlife without spooking them. That, and being able to do construction site inspections without having to get too close for comfort. It works well for these things.

I chose the M2Z over the Pro specifically for it’s ability to stand off and zoom in on subjects without disturbing them. I use not only the X2 optical but the X2 digital as well. The photos/video that I get are good and more than adequate for my needs.
When flying my MM I really miss the zoom capability of the M2Z. Until you fly a M2Z you can’t really appreciate it’s zoom capability.

Reactions: Gindra
I started with an M2Pro and then bought a zoom camera. I prefer the zoom because I can get great up close shots without getting to close. If you are not doing "pro" type video, the video can zoom up to 96x. I use the zoom to film my horses and it works great.

I presently have a Mavic (1) Pro Platimum and am considering a Mavic 2 Zoom. The reason for the upgrade is that I take a lot of horse riding Pics/videos. I find that I have to get too close to a horse and rider to get a nice close shot. I feel like it is dangerous for the rider to come in that close with some timid animals. Is it possible to get a head shot of a horse or full closeup picture or video of a horse and rider and still stay relatively far away?
I use my zoom for exactly the same purpose as you and also weddings. I also do real estate photography and this makes up much of smoother flying into a front door area in flying out of a rear door area without moving the drone.

Thank you everyone for your stellar comments! I think I've decided the Zoom will work great for what I want to do.. I know DJI has a Fathers Day sale with $180 bucks off. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can get a good price on a zoom and flymore package with 1 or 2 extra batteries?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna