DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a sticker set / decals interfere with reception? Safe to use?

Fanbelt

Reactions
Hi everyone

I'm a very happy owner of a mavic and have been flying around for about 2 weeks now. I decided to try a sticker mod, so I ordered one from taco-rc dot com and applied it to my mavic today. It looks really cool and I'm quite pleased with the outcome.
While I was placing the stickers and slowly getting towards the end, I suddenly had a horrible thought that the stickers might interfere with reception, be it gps, visual transmission, or what have you. The seller calls the material "carbon fiber vinyl used is high quality and is rated for outdoor use". What I'm wondering is, is there metal of some sort in there that makes it so shiny? Or is that the way its designed somehow?
It smells and feels like vinyl, a magnet won't stick to it, so maybe I'm just worried about nothing...
Anybody have any ideas? I haven't flown it yet with the stickers on, hoping to get some feedback before I do try.
Here are some pictures, perhaps someone has some experience with stickers looking like that. Also a picture of the back of the sticker. I can't read that but maybe someone can and maybe it says what the material is...

IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2067.JPG IMG_2066.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: chippie
You're fine. I would imagine if it makes a difference you won't be able to notice it would be so slight.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There be gold falling from them skies! :D

They have been around for the Phantom and other quads for years, you will be fine :)

If it truly had carbon fibers, yes. If it's just printed on the vinyl, no problem at all. I suspect the latter.

GPS reception is the only concern I might have, but that would depend on the metallic content of the sticker material.. I know aluminum foil will block GPS.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Looks like I'll be leaving the stickers on :).

Fanbelt, does that sticker pack cover anything on the underside? I've ordered a similar set in white carbon fiber and am curious how it will affect the visibility of the drone while in the air.

I asked the same question to DJI before I flew with my company logo fitted to the front only , this is the response.

"The GPS of the drone is at the part of its tail. If put a sticker at the front, it seems no influence to the function actually. "

So from that I would say what you have done could interfere with the GPS , so maybe just peel the back section behind the battery off to be safe. Or do what I did and send a photo to DJI and ask them.
[email protected]

Last edited:
It interferes with my eyes!! they hurt.. =) so much bling!
Take some pics when she's in the air.

Fanbelt, does that sticker pack cover anything on the underside? I've ordered a similar set in white carbon fiber and am curious how it will affect the visibility of the drone while in the air.

Only the arms have stickers on the bottom. The rest is pretty much heat sync.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I used rubbing alcohol to get rid of any possibly greasy spots. Good lighting and a pair of tweezers and that's it. It can be removed again without any problems, but still sticks well. I read somewhere that someone also used a hairdryer to heat up tricky areas and get rid of bubbles. I didn't find that necessary (at least not so far).
Btw, a person from Taco replied today and assured me that the stickers were absolutely safe to use.

Promised some photos in action

3ab02d8427dd5002f6562e89f2d90841.jpg

11c5ab9db8e07168c4a04c74f0396592.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU