DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet similar in size to an iPad mini?

tusc

Reactions
So I purchased a used iPad mini 4 back when I bought the Mavic Mini last year. I've stopped using it with my new MA2 as I keep getting the dreaded CPU overloaded issue. For now I just use my S20+ and can screen record with no issues.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue? Or is the iPad mini 5 the go to for most of you? Thanks.

Reactions: OldGuy
I am surprised, as I use a mini 4 with my Mavic 2 Zoom and have absolutely no problems with it. I don't use it for editing, just flying the drone.

Is it a peculiarity with the new DJI app I wonder?

I'm not an Apple fanboi, I got it because my Android tablet kept crashing and at least the mini 4 works reliably.

So I purchased a used iPad mini 4 back when I bought the Mavic Mini last year. I've stopped using it with my new MA2 as I keep getting the dreaded CPU overloaded issue. For now I just use my S20+ and can screen record with no issues.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue? Or is the iPad mini 5 the go to for most of you? Thanks.
Im an android person, using an ipad mini 5 w celluar. My next tablet is going to be an android, so im watching this thread. No complaints the mini has been flawless! I was wondering if the Samsung Tab 6, with verizon LTE would work like the minis GPS where you dont have to activate the cell service?

Reactions: japharl
The Samsung S5e is a 10.5" tablet that will work fine. No need to buy the cellular model as the base model has GPS. The aspect ratio is closer to the 16:9 video size so you don't end up with black bars on top and bottom. The bezels are narrow so not a lot of wasted space for the size. It is easier to see in sunlight than the Mini 4.

Reactions: Bill_H and DCM-PA
I use the mini5 never had a single issue. Just my 2c.

pross,

Based on information from another thread in this forums it sounds like AirSense could be a factor that's slowing down my mini 4. Ideally I do not want to disable that option.

EDIT: It's referenced in this thread and there's a video with an example: IPad Mini 4

Last edited:
The Samsung S5e is a 10.5" tablet that will work fine. No need to buy the cellular model as the base model has GPS. The aspect ratio is closer to the 16:9 video size so you don't end up with black bars on top and bottom. The bezels are narrow so not a lot of wasted space for the size. It is easier to see in sunlight than the Mini 4.

Thanks LivinLarge, looks like the S5e is only a little more than a mini 4 on swappa. I will have a look.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue?
Have a look at the Huawei M3, M5 or the new M6 for the best Android flying tablets.
All three are outstanding.

Reactions: tusc
If you want something the size of a mini,I think your best bet is the 7 or 8 inch galaxy tab A. 10 inch tablets you have all kinds of options from the tab s5(e), personally I'd go for a tab s3 or tab s4 for my drone. There's also the Tab A 10 inch.

If you want something the size of a mini,I think your best bet is the 7 or 8 inch galaxy tab A. 10 inch tablets you have all kinds of options from the tab s5(e), personally I'd go for a tab s3 or tab s4 for my drone. There's also the Tab A 10 inch.
Another flyer recommended the Samsung Tab A T290 (8") to me and it works great if you have a usb c to micro usb cable. Not a bad price at under $150.00. Keep 'em flyin.

Getting my S5e ready for the Air2 as well.
Curious, what holder are you using? Would you recommend?

Getting my S5e ready for the Air2 as well.
Curious, what holder are you using? Would you recommend?
I don't have the Air 2 yet. I am still on the fence. At the moment, I am using the S5e with a Parrot Anafi which has a similar style of clamp for the phone. I added a 3mm lexan plate to the back of the tablet. It has a beveled edge which connects to a lip at the top edge of the clamp on the controller. There are no extra parts to carry or assemble. It is as quick to install as a phone. It would be easy to make the same part fit the new Air 2 controller.

Attachments

• tablet mod.JPG
    tablet mod.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 95
  • tablet mounted.JPG
    tablet mounted.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 98
I like the look of the specs and the price. How is it holding up? How does it handle overheating?

I have not had it overheat but then I don’t fly for hours at a time. One thing I noticed was video lag, which only occurs when you have video cache on in the app. Once you turn this off it’s perfect. It beats all these newer cheap Samsung tabs for screen quality.

Reactions: wali
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N