DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet similar in size to an iPad mini?

No .. hotspotting provides internet data, not GPS data.
But there's no need, since almost every Android tablet has GPS anyway.
And there's very little need for GPS in the tablet anyway.
Do you know if the samsung tab 6 has built in gps,

The Samsung S5e is a 10.5" tablet that will work fine. No need to buy the cellular model as the base model has GPS. The aspect ratio is closer to the 16:9 video size so you don't end up with black bars on top and bottom. The bezels are narrow so not a lot of wasted space for the size. It is easier to see in sunlight than the Mini 4.
So I purchased a used iPad mini 4 back when I bought the Mavic Mini last year. I've stopped using it with my new MA2 as I keep getting the dreaded CPU overloaded issue. For now I just use my S20+ and can screen record with no issues.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue? Or is the iPad mini 5 the go to for most of you? Thanks.
I’ve just bought a Huawei MediPad M5 Lite 8 inch tablet for my MM. It has a good screen, 3 GB RAM, large battery and fits into the arms of the remote. All this at a good price. Very pleased with it.

In Samsung, stick with tab s models. I tried to save money by bying a lower Samsung a couple of years ago and went through 2 lesser Samsungs until finally being satisfied with an S4. The lower models got glitchy with video.

Reactions: mrjohnc1
If you want something the size of a mini,I think your best bet is the 7 or 8 inch galaxy tab A. 10 inch tablets you have all kinds of options from the tab s5(e), personally I'd go for a tab s3 or tab s4 for my drone. There's also the Tab A 10 inch.
Will the Galaxy Tab A work with DJIFly? I could not find the app on the Google Play store when I looked. Is there Nother source to look for it?

Newbie here...don't understand why gps on tablet is necessary. Thought the drone's gps was all that mattered???

So I purchased a used iPad mini 4 back when I bought the Mavic Mini last year. I've stopped using it with my new MA2 as I keep getting the dreaded CPU overloaded issue. For now I just use my S20+ and can screen record with no issues.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue? Or is the iPad mini 5 the go to for most of you? Thanks.
I had tons of problems with GO4 app crashing, disconnecting, freezing, etc with an ASUS tablet. Bought a Lenovo P10, 64GB internal storage, 4GB RAM. Don't load it up with junk, dedicated to just flying drones. Under $200. Also an expensive quality USB to type C short cable to connect to controller. Haven't had a single issue since. BTW I'm flying an M2P, should work for you too.

Have fun, fly safe, Steve.

I use an older Fire, 7 inch tablet that I bought on QVC some time ago, I cleaned it up, got rid of unnecessary programs as the processor is easily overwhelmed. That tablet is dedicated to my Mavic Platinum Pro 1. You will need the proper cord to plug in, but I use the long USB cord that came with my Pro (be sure the other short cord is unplugged from the controller or it will not work).

I had to side load the Go Fly App and get it to work, not easy with some Fire tablets. What I don't like is the location of the aftermarket holder for the tablet. Someday, someone will make a holder that put s the tablet North of the controller similar to the new Mavic Air. Just my thoughts...

I had tons of problems with GO4 app crashing, disconnecting, freezing, etc with an ASUS tablet. Bought a Lenovo P10, 64GB internal storage, 4GB RAM. Don't load it up with junk, dedicated to just flying drones. Under $200. Also an expensive quality USB to type C short cable to connect to controller. Haven't had a single issue since. BTW I'm flying an M2P, should work for you too.

Have fun, fly safe, Steve.
DJI Fly and Go 4 are two different animals. Fly requires a 64 bit architecture and a 64 bit Android.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time ...
The 8" Samsung Tab A SM-T290 does work with DJI FLY. It needs to be both a 64 bit architecture, (generally available in the specs), and 64 bit Android, (rarely noted in the specs), You download the apk from DJI and then install it. It won't show up in Playstore.
This is one of the least expensive tablets.

There is a list of compatible devices somewhere on this board.

Your phone/tablet draws power from the MC when MC is turned on. Picture shows the solution. When the MC is turned off both it and your phone/tablet will charge. (In my case this is QC2.0). The phone/tablet will draw charge from the power bank within the confines of the phone/tablet and power bank limits. Sometimes after turning on the MC you have to unplug the power and re-plug to make the Fly app connection.

An added advantage of Hot Gluing your micro usb to the body of the MC is there will be no risk of damaging the ridiculous interface that DJI made. (Mavic Mini).

I run my Samsung tab 8 at max brightness and it stays charged at 100%. After going through all 3 Mini batteries it's MC is still over half charged. On a bench test of one hour: no battery; MC drained to one light and with power bank to 75%, (three solid lights).

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: tusc
I bought a used ASUS ZenPad z8s of eBay, $100. 8 inches, metal build, 3gb ram, and high resolution screen.
I just bought one as well (WiFi and Verizon). 7.9" 16GB + expansion slot up to 128GB, 2048x1536, Snapdragon 652, 3GB RAM, Wi-Fi and 4G LTE, GPS/GLONASS.

Worth a shot for less than $100.

Last edited:
Ordered the Air 2 yesterday, should arrive next Tuesday. I have a Samsung S20+ and plan to use it, but I also have a Samsung Galay Rab S2 that I used with my P4P and I'll probably see if it will work with the Air 2 (compatible/capable) and if it is I'll build a mount to make that work. I like having a larger display when flying and being able to keep the S20+ from use with the Osmo Mobile 3 without switching in/out would be desirable. I did have issues using the Tab S2 with the P4P but I think that was mostly an issue with DJI being spotty in the support for non Apple devices in general and Samsung in particular. And that does make the question of connection reliability of the Air 2 with non Apple devices a question I'd like to get feedback on -- is anyone with the Air 2 and running Android and particularly Samsung devices having any problems establishing and maintaining a connection with the Fly app or the drone itself?

Brian

This error from an iOS device is almost always the result of RAM issues. Have you tried closing all other apps running at the same time and then only have the dji app running? Alternatively try rebooting the device to clear it out and then only load the dji so when you want to fly with nothing running in the back ground.

Reactions: Mrveronn
I just bought one as well (WiFi and Verizon). 7.9" 16GB + expansion slot up to 128GB, 2048x1536, Snapdragon 652, 3GB RAM, Wi-Fi and 4G LTE, GPS/GLONASS.

Worth a shot for less than $100.

Don’t forget to turn cache recording off in the app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas