DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone talk me out of buying BT-300 glasses

I’ve got them, really like them, have varifocals and no problem. However, with big hand and fingers the small pad is not big enough, and the position of the control buttons is way too easy to touch. My solution is a Bluetooth keyboard. Tried a 2.4ghz mini pad, but then you need a Micro Usb OTG hub, which most of the times doesn’t work.

aeb54e65023641e3fb39b8763d54906a.jpg
e034b1979a7e7db50b812b229e93c5c1.jpg

I’ve got them, really like them, have varifocals and no problem. However, with big hand and fingers the small pad is not big enough, and the position of the control buttons is way too easy to touch. My solution is a Bluetooth keyboard. Tried a 2.4ghz mini pad, but then you need a Micro Usb OTG hub, which most of the times doesn’t work.

That looks like a pretty nice setup. Do you find that you need the keyboard much while flying? The only thing I normally change while flying is the camera setup but will probably just set it to auto at first until I get familiar with flying with the glasses.

Reactions: charliesRig
From memory never used the keyboard, however depending on the situation I tend to use the mouse quite often. For instance, steady hover, move the camera around and zoom in/out (btw using it on a M2Z with Go4, doesn’t work with M2ED because doesn’t accept Pilot)

Don't bother. Too expensive. Gives you a headache in about 3 minutes and dosnt stay on your head. I send mine back within an hour of getting them. There's another thought. How many YouTube reviewers you seen saying how great they were do you still see wearing them now? Answer. None. That should tell you everything you need to know

Reactions: Enlin
For what it's worth, I don't and I doubt you will, need a spotter. I've been using them for over a year, can't fly without em now. They give me a good first person view and while wearing bifocals, yes I'm old, I have a great view over the top of the glasses to see my drone. I keep the clip-on sun shield/sun protection lens on all the time for great video and contrast. Since they are not VR glasses, but AR glasses intended to give you a ghost image, they work similar to a head up display in a car....i.e. you still see the road and needed info... :) Lastly, I've grown to appreciate the droid touchpad that drives the glasses. Much less glitchy than using my S8. Again, they make flying very easy and comfortable.

I saw these glasses in an advertisement and thought they would be just what I'm looking for. The sun here is pretty bright and I can't always see my ipad even with sunshade and a screen cover. Even when I can, when I look at the ipad and look back up, many times I can't find my drone in the sky without taking it higher or performing an RTH. I've read everything I can find on them and most of the problems I've seen are heat related and it does get warm here during the summer especially. Does the 2019 version have heating problems or any other problems that may make me regret a decision to buy them. They really do seem to be a great alternative.
I have the DJI goggles, uncomfortable and I miss the map course guide, tried an iPad mini (incredibly laggy) it was 3 years old purchased used for $150 but otherwise cleaned out, finally got a crystal sky used for $400. Never looked back. I’m interested in the BT300 glasses because of how light they must be but will they do anything more than the DJI googles which I also had to buy expensive corrective lens since I need reading glasses. Would I have to do that with the BT300 glasses too? The Crystal sky really solved all my issues, I just don’t love the android interface when you are not used to it.

The operating system for these suck! They have their own app store with really no useful apps beside DJI go app. Oh and it's their version on DJI go. It's not the original app. So it's not always up to date. I didn't like mine so I sold them.

I have the DJI goggles, uncomfortable and I miss the map course guide, tried an iPad mini (incredibly laggy) it was 3 years old purchased used for $150 but otherwise cleaned out, finally got a crystal sky used for $400. Never looked back. I’m interested in the BT300 glasses because of how light they must be but will they do anything more than the DJI googles which I also had to buy expensive corrective lens since I need reading glasses. Would I have to do that with the BT300 glasses too? The Crystal sky really solved all my issues, I just don’t love the android interface when you are not used to it.

I'm not really sure yet. I will not receive mine until next Tuesday. Some people that need reading glasses say they don't need them while wearing the Epson glasses because the image is so large. Others say they can wear their prescription glasses behind the Epson glasses with a different nose bridge which is provided. The glasses do operate differently than the DJI goggles. I'm not sure how to explain what the image will look like but since you are my age I can possibly do it think about when I was in grade school watching films with the old projectors. When the screen was broke the teacher would play the film against the cinderblock wall. While you could watch the film (kind of like the app) you could also see each mortar line and block in the wall (LOS for the drone). I have never had goggles so I have no idea about them. All I know is that the FAA says you need a spotter to be able to fly with them because of the LOS issue.

John,
I have been flying with the BT-300 glasses for 1 1/2 years. I wear trifocals so I got Rochester Optical corrective lenses. I also made my own holder for the controller and it completely solved any overheat problem. I understand the latest DJIGO app also corrected the overheating problem. I purchased a mavic 2 pro with the smart controller and the HDMI adapter is I don't use the original controller any longer. But with all of that said. I had Fatshark goggles, DJI Goggles, and now the BT-300. The Moverio BT-300 are the best solution for FPV while still having LOS. I won't fly without them. I think these are GREAT.
Where are you located I would gladly let you see mine and how they work.

Reactions: dwolfe002
I'm not really sure yet. I will not receive mine until next Tuesday. Some people that need reading glasses say they don't need them while wearing the Epson glasses because the image is so large. Others say they can wear their prescription glasses behind the Epson glasses with a different nose bridge which is provided. The glasses do operate differently than the DJI goggles. I'm not sure how to explain what the image will look like but since you are my age I can possibly do it think about when I was in grade school watching films with the old projectors. When the screen was broke the teacher would play the film against the cinderblock wall. While you could watch the film (kind of like the app) you could also see each mortar line and block in the wall (LOS for the drone). I have never had goggles so I have no idea about them. All I know is that the FAA says you need a spotter to be able to fly with them because of the LOS issue.
You have LOS with them unlike the DJI goggles so a spotter is not necessary. I you use the shades that come with them it makes it easier to use.

I can understand the need for a spotter if you're up at 400 feet. However why would you need a spotter if you are only around 20 feet as the chance of colliding with an aircraft at that height is zero.

I had been on the fence about these for years. I want to believe that they will work without stress. I think one of the biggest causes of stress is having to spell out selections using the track pad. Is that true?

I think what may not be considered by potential buyers is that you have LOS so long as the drone is within LOS. Once the drone is too far out, then you can't see it any better than with the naked eye. At that point, they are a variation of the DJI goggles. The advantage of the 300 fpv being that if there are distractions around you, you can see them without having to alter your gear.

I have the DJI goggles, and I really enjoy using them. I only use them about 20% of the time because it's hard to get a spotter.

I had been on the fence about these for years. I want to believe that they will work without stress. I think one of the biggest causes of stress is having to spell out selections using the track pad. Is that true?

I think what may not be considered by potential buyers is that you have LOS so long as the drone is within LOS. Once the drone is too far out, then you can't see it any better than with the naked eye. At that point, they are a variation of the DJI goggles. The advantage of the 300 fpv being that if there are distractions around you, you can see them without having to alter your gear.

I have the DJI goggles, and I really enjoy using them. I only use them about 20% of the time because it's hard to get a spotter.

So far I'm not real sure how much I would use the trackpad while flying. To start with I plan to set the cameras to auto while I get used to it and possibly change camera settings during flight after flying with the glasses for a while. LOS seems like an easy thing with the glasses. I used to loose sight when I looked down at my ipad and looked back up to find the M2P. I don't expect to be able to see any farther and LOS is the rule from the FAA. Seems to me that if you want to go out of LOS you basically have a much lighter pair of goggles. The other thing for me is you never have LOS with a pair of goggles on even when it's right in front of you and you have to have someone with you if flying by the rules. As far as stress goes, I think the goggles would be more stressful to me because I like to know what is going on around me. If you enjoy the goggles keep right on using them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I know a guy that uses them all the time.

I can understand the need for a spotter if you're up at 400 feet. However why would you need a spotter if you are only around 20 feet as the chance of colliding with an aircraft at that height is zero.

I guess you are talking about wearing goggles. With goggles you can't see anything but what the drone sees through the camera. If you were to go sideways or backward you could run into people, cars, houses because you couldn't see them.

I have these. I also have lots of other goggles, including the DJI goggles, box goggles, fat shark type.
I also use reading glasses, +1.5, but with the DJI Goggles and the box type goggles, I have had to use either +4.0 or +5.0 lenses in them in order to focus on something so close to my eyes.

These? NOT A DANG THING. No glasses, no adjustments needed. Crystal clear. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Alien tech.

Go to Rochester Optical and order the goggle kit with these. I hated wearing them as glasses. With the goggle kit, you take the glasses and put them in a fat shark style goggle and the sunglass shades stick on with magnets. They also include a completely black one so that you can use them like goggles, with no light coming in.

I don't like goggles, for the simple reason that you feel trapped in them and can't see your surroundings. These are great. They take care of that. Do I use them all the time? no. I still use a tablet and occasionally my phone.
Does the controller get hot? Yes, but I live in Hawaii and it has never overheated. I just flew with them yesterday with a P4A through 3 batteries straight without a problem.

Is the touchpad hard to use? Yes, it sucks, but you get used to it and easy to use while flying. (once you get used to it)

Would I use these to watch movies on? No. The floating screen does not fill your field of view.
I have side-loaded software on them so I can use them with the Autel Evo, Parrot Anafi and of course DJI birds.
There is also a way to side load google maps on them.

Google maps fix:

Last edited:
Just an FYI guys, if you are looking to Purchase from Rochester Optical, we have a 10% off coupon code posted in our FB Group.

Reactions: Barnes_de
Inexpensive fix. I made a cover for the sun shade using an old dog trimming case , after separating it , I cut eye openings and install foam padding around holes .I then installed lenses from and old pair of glasses in openings . Glue guns work great for this. This set up works great for me , I can see my screen without glare . I just use the camera eye to see where I'm going.

Attachments

• 15597370521487437948772156195098.jpg
    15597370521487437948772156195098.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum