DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone talk me out of buying BT-300 glasses

I will post a quick review after I try them out a couple of times. Then more as I get more used to them.

I received my glasses yesterday so I thought I would give a quick review mostly on the setup. Received the package and started charging up the controller. The only problem was that I forgot to charge my mavic batteries in the process. Setup was a pain in the rear for me. I don't know if it was a slow internet day or Epson severs being slow or what but it did seem like everything was extremely slow. I'm talking many minutes slow. I finally found a video for registering for the moverio app store on the computer and did that but it didn't seem to help me much in the short term. Not familiar at all with the way android does things. Since I didn't receive anything back saying that it was successful I went on to update the firmware to 1.0.5 I think it was. Uh oh another registration screen. So I start that process on the controller. I didn't have much problem with the track pad until I had to select the country for registration and it did take me quite a while and many start overs to get that done but no indication whether it worked or not. Well, about that time I started feeling physically sick so I walked away for a while. Was going to try again today but couldn't put it down. Read through some of the warnings and sure enough there is one about defibulators and pacemakers. Both of which I have. Thought about boxing it up but I thought about the fact that I had the controller sitting on my chest while I was trying to figure this thing out could have caused my problems. Fix...move it away from my chest and a break for staring around my livingroom with the glasses on. So I take it outside, crank everything up (mavic, remote, glasses) and all I can see is a screen with white lines on each side but no camera view. Took the mavic up and down a couple of times and shut it all down again and brought it back inside ready to give up again. Then I decided to mess with the screen brightness and put on the sun shades so I had to try it again. Same result, as if any of that would make a difference, but an old man can hope. Getting ready to put it up for the day, it was past supper time, I just had to put the glasses back on. Looked through the buttons on the track pad and voila there was the registration screen I hadn't seen in hours and it had a verify button on it. Hit that and after restarting the SoAR app, I had camera view. Since I hadn't eaten all day I was hungry but then I figured people could live several days without food so I took it up.

Everything I had read said it looked like an 80" TV. That is bull. It looked like a 150 ft TV. The screen on the glasses is the same as looking at where the drone is flying with your eyes. The only thing to me that will take some getting used to is seeing everything you can see normally and also watching what the M2P is when it is rotated in another direction than my eyes are pointed. The view was very clear and it was also very easy to see the M2P without peeking over or under the glasses. Didn't want to but after about 7-8 minutes I received a battery warning and I had to hit RTH. I think on first impression that these glasses are going to be cool. I'll post more when I get to check out any features the soar app may have.

SOAP BOX TIME: I can remember things like the family sitting around the living room listening to the radio on a Sunday evening only to be replaced by a TV. I sat in the box it came in while watching it for the first time. Coolest thing I had ever seen even if the picture was mostly snowy. We got two channels. My first airplane flight was on prop driven planes. My first car was a broken down 57 Mercury that had push buttons to change gears on an automatic transmission and seemed 30 ft long. I remember the first moon landing on color TV although the footage was black and white. A few years later I drove a car at 160 mph. I remember my first computer. A commodore 64. I think it was the first "computer" that was available to the masses. I think it had a whopping 64Kb of memory. Of course you had to connect it to your TV to have a monitor. Years later the skydiving community changed from round parachutes to rectangular and I started jumping at 15000 ft instead of 3000 to 5000 that was normal during that time and it changed skydiving and me forever. I worked for 25 years with a company that built the first "digital telephone switch and they bragged that their switch had more lines of code in it than all the computers needed to run the original moon landing. I remember using 300 baud modems to support customers around the country because they had no idea what that monster did. I remember being on call and had to carry around what we called a wireless phone. Basically it was a cell phone except it had a battery about the size of a motorcycle battery with a normal looking phone mounted on top. Now days, I watch videos, movies, read news, and write letters to people while working on a laptop that has more memory than that digital phone switch had. I talk on a phone that fits in the palm of my hand. And now I fly this drone and see pictures from a totally different perspective. Then I get these glasses and see things from an even different perspective. How things have changed. Glad I was here to see it all!

wow. What a fantastic post, and good for you for not giving up!

For what it's worth, I don't and I doubt you will, need a spotter. I've been using them for over a year, can't fly without em now. They give me a good first person view and while wearing bifocals, yes I'm old, I have a great view over the top of the glasses to see my drone. I keep the clip-on sun shield/sun protection lens on all the time for great video and contrast. Since they are not VR glasses, but AR glasses intended to give you a ghost image, they work similar to a head up display in a car....i.e. you still see the road and needed info... :) Lastly, I've grown to appreciate the droid touchpad that drives the glasses. Much less glitchy than using my S8. Again, they make flying very easy and comfortable.

Do you use your prescription glasses or a clip on prescription from Rochester Optical?

There are some good videos on YouTube about the BT300 glasses :)

I think the problem I was having was either slow internet or slow verification processes on the Ericson end. I would put in the information requested and hit a verify button and not get anything back that said verification successful and after around 5 minutes I would try again. I finally got one back and at that point I didn't even look at it, I just hit verify and everything started working. I'm sure it was just me expecting things to go quickly, and easily. I don't know but it works now, or it did a couple of days ago.

I received my glasses yesterday so I thought I would give a quick review mostly on the setup. Received the package and started charging up the controller. The only problem was that I forgot to charge my mavic batteries in the process. Setup was a pain in the rear for me. I don't know if it was a slow internet day or Epson severs being slow or what but it did seem like everything was extremely slow. I'm talking many minutes slow. I finally found a video for registering for the moverio app store on the computer and did that but it didn't seem to help me much in the short term. Not familiar at all with the way android does things. Since I didn't receive anything back saying that it was successful I went on to update the firmware to 1.0.5 I think it was. Uh oh another registration screen. So I start that process on the controller. I didn't have much problem with the track pad until I had to select the country for registration and it did take me quite a while and many start overs to get that done but no indication whether it worked or not. Well, about that time I started feeling physically sick so I walked away for a while. Was going to try again today but couldn't put it down. Read through some of the warnings and sure enough there is one about defibulators and pacemakers. Both of which I have. Thought about boxing it up but I thought about the fact that I had the controller sitting on my chest while I was trying to figure this thing out could have caused my problems. Fix...move it away from my chest and a break for staring around my livingroom with the glasses on. So I take it outside, crank everything up (mavic, remote, glasses) and all I can see is a screen with white lines on each side but no camera view. Took the mavic up and down a couple of times and shut it all down again and brought it back inside ready to give up again. Then I decided to mess with the screen brightness and put on the sun shades so I had to try it again. Same result, as if any of that would make a difference, but an old man can hope. Getting ready to put it up for the day, it was past supper time, I just had to put the glasses back on. Looked through the buttons on the track pad and voila there was the registration screen I hadn't seen in hours and it had a verify button on it. Hit that and after restarting the SoAR app, I had camera view. Since I hadn't eaten all day I was hungry but then I figured people could live several days without food so I took it up.

Everything I had read said it looked like an 80" TV. That is bull. It looked like a 150 ft TV. The screen on the glasses is the same as looking at where the drone is flying with your eyes. The only thing to me that will take some getting used to is seeing everything you can see normally and also watching what the M2P is when it is rotated in another direction than my eyes are pointed. The view was very clear and it was also very easy to see the M2P without peeking over or under the glasses. Didn't want to but after about 7-8 minutes I received a battery warning and I had to hit RTH. I think on first impression that these glasses are going to be cool. I'll post more when I get to check out any features the soar app may have.

SOAP BOX TIME: I can remember things like the family sitting around the living room listening to the radio on a Sunday evening only to be replaced by a TV. I sat in the box it came in while watching it for the first time. Coolest thing I had ever seen even if the picture was mostly snowy. We got two channels. My first airplane flight was on prop driven planes. My first car was a broken down 57 Mercury that had push buttons to change gears on an automatic transmission and seemed 30 ft long. I remember the first moon landing on color TV although the footage was black and white. A few years later I drove a car at 160 mph. I remember my first computer. A commodore 64. I think it was the first "computer" that was available to the masses. I think it had a whopping 64Kb of memory. Of course you had to connect it to your TV to have a monitor. Years later the skydiving community changed from round parachutes to rectangular and I started jumping at 15000 ft instead of 3000 to 5000 that was normal during that time and it changed skydiving and me forever. I worked for 25 years with a company that built the first "digital telephone switch and they bragged that their switch had more lines of code in it than all the computers needed to run the original moon landing. I remember using 300 baud modems to support customers around the country because they had no idea what that monster did. I remember being on call and had to carry around what we called a wireless phone. Basically it was a cell phone except it had a battery about the size of a motorcycle battery with a normal looking phone mounted on top. Now days, I watch videos, movies, read news, and write letters to people while working on a laptop that has more memory than that digital phone switch had. I talk on a phone that fits in the palm of my hand. And now I fly this drone and see pictures from a totally different perspective. Then I get these glasses and see things from an even different perspective. How things have changed. Glad I was here to see it all!

Fantastic post

I can't really offer any advice on these googles but I can say I'm in pretty much the same predicament as you. I've had the DJI googles and the BT300's in and out of my Amazon basket numerous times. Have never pulled the plug on either.
I do know that there are numerous very helpful threads in this forum that may be of some help with your decision.
Good luck with your googles when you do decide.

Don't know anything about BT300, but I NEVER FLY WITHOUT the original white DJI Goggles. They are a godsend.
Bo

Happy to hear you got it all running.

I’m not sure the soar app is anything special. GO4 and litchi both run flawlessly though so see how you like the experience with either or both.

BTW- the screen projection is pretty much bang on the area of coverage of an 80” TV viewed for 5m away- or like a 150” if your close to 10m back.

You can easily sideload a lot of apps you may find useful. A video player and Netflix might surprise you how good the video looks, the specs say 720p but for some reason it looks a lot sharper than that.

If you haven’t already stick a micro SD in the side. The onboard memory might become an obvious limitation before you know it.

Reactions: dwolfe002

I’m not sure the soar app is anything special. GO4 and litchi both run flawlessly though so see how you like the experience with either or both.

BTW- the screen projection is pretty much bang on the area of coverage of an 80” TV viewed for 5m away- or like a 150” if your close to 10m back.

You can easily sideload a lot of apps you may find useful. A video player and Netflix might surprise you how good the video looks, the specs say 720p but for some reason it looks a lot sharper than that.

If you haven’t already stick a micro SD in the side. The onboard memory might become an obvious limitation before you know it.

I was wondering what kind of limitations/problems might be caused by not having a micro SD card in the slot. I don't know if the flight logs and things like that were recorded while using the glasses. Other than that, I have a SD card in the mavic itself but don't know if it holds anything but pictures/video. So many things to learn, so little time.

Great post! I, like you am "old" and just love these!

Great post! I, like you am "old" and just love these!

They are a lot easier to use than a phone or ipad. I never thought they would be as good as they are. I went to do more testing earlier in the week around obstacles and kept glancing back at the RC like there was still an ipad attached to it. It will probably be me that is the toughest thing to make this transition but I do love them.

I just started with the soar app because it is supposed to help with the overheating problem. I plan to try the GO4 app after I get the hang of everything. I live at the coast and about all I have is water and sky around me. The screen seems like it is 150 ft. wide. So far, I think they are great and a lot easier than a ipad.

Last edited:
I used the BT-200 “Not Supported by Epson any more” for the first time with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, it was fantastic, it is very hard to describe the improvement in flying and enjoying any Drone, then I got the BT-300, for my Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro, what an experience it is to use them…Go ahead and get your BT-300, you will enjoy them, and love them, I have purchased two FT Aviator, hoping that Fluidity will support the BT-300, it will be the ultimate experience of drone flying, using the FT Aviator with the BT-300.

I used the BT-200 “Not Supported by Epson any more” for the first time with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, it was fantastic, it is very hard to describe the improvement in flying and enjoying any Drone, then I got the BT-300, for my Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro, what an experience it is to use them…Go ahead and get your BT-300, you will enjoy them, and love them, I have purchased two FT Aviator, hoping that Fluidity will support the BT-300, it will be the ultimate experience of drone flying, using the FT Aviator with the BT-300.

I have them now and I do love them. My brother stopped by on his way to his beach house and gave me some lessons on photography and I had to hook up the ipad instead of the BT-300. It was not fun after using the glasses. Still have a lot to find out about them but right now Ijust enjoy flying with them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803