DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can authorities detect a Mavic mini?

Shane034

Reactions
Hey all,

I was messing around very low level with my mini in my suburb: which is off limits due to a small airport a few kilometres away.

So yes, I was breaking the rules.

I was flying about 15 minutes in an open area and left without issue.

Later on though I was informed the police showed up not long after I'd left.

I'm not going to fly there anymore. But it's got me curious how it came to their attention. It was a secluded area so it wasn't residents who reported it.

I didn't think a small non passenger airport would have radar of any note. But I'm wondering if perhaps some aircraft may have RF band scanners that show up the frequency the drones use?

Got me curious.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
small airport a few kilometres away

Small . . . does it have a manned tower ?

If so, then yeah should be more than 5.5km away.
They MAY have some sort of drone detector (DJI Aeroscope) or similar, but not very likely.
There were but a handful last time I heard anything about these units in Australia, and they were rotated around numerous airports to pick up random breaches in rules.
CASA did want such equipment at all major airports as standard, so maybe it has expanded quite a bit.

I didn't think an uncontrolled airport would have radar

If it doesn't have a manned tower, then you are allowed to fly within 5.5km, there's some minor things to consider, the land asap if you become aware of manned aircraft in the area, and keep away from approach / departure areas at runway ends.

Most likely that someone saw you if the police visit was related to your flight.

Small . . . does it have a manned tower ?

If so, then yeah should be more than 5.5km away.
They MAY have some sort of drone detector (DJI Aeroscope) or similar, but not very likely.
There were but a handful last time I heard anything about these units in Australia, and they were rotated around numerous airports to pick up random breaches in rules.
CASA did want such equipment at all major airports as standard, so maybe it has expanded quite a bit.

If it doesn't have a manned tower, then you are allowed to fly within 5.5km, there's some minor things to consider, the land asap if you become aware of manned aircraft in the area, and keep away from approach / departure areas at runway ends.

Most likely that someone saw you if the police visit was related to your flight.
Hey mate,

Yeah I think the issue with this one is it's uncontrolled but has helicopters landing on instruments so it's still 5.5km.

Just the area I was at was very large so yeah, their precision got me thinking they either saw it from an aircraft or they pinpointed it electronically :)

Yeah I think the issue with this one is it's uncontrolled but has helicopters landing on instruments so it's still 5.5km.

What app are you using to determine the rules for that exact zone ?
I haven't yet found a heli pad that is controlled, where there is no tower control.
This includes hospital emergency landing pads.
Common sense is expected of course, but I look at a couple of apps before flying (and in lead up during trip planning) to see what's going on where I'm heading.

Hey mate,

Just the area I was at was very large so yeah, their precision got me thinking they either saw it from an aircraft or they pinpointed it electronically :)
As was mentioned it somewhat doubtful a small untowered airport would have Aeroscope but it’s possible.

Is it possible the cops were there for some other reason? I don’t know how things are in Australia but it seems pretty low police priority to look for somebody flying a drone near an untowered airport.

What app are you using to determine the rules for that exact zone ?
I haven't yet found a heli pad that is controlled, where there is no tower control.
This includes hospital emergency landing pads.
Common sense is expected of course, but I look at a couple of apps before flying (and in lead up during trip planning) to see what's going on where I'm heading.
I was using opensky. There is a rescue chopper there though, so I think that's why the area is a sacred cow lol. And I thought they'd probably have sophisticated detection gear too given the size of their budgets.

I was using opensky. There is a rescue chopper there though, so I think that's why the area is a sacred cow lol. And I thought they'd probably have sophisticated detection gear too given the size of their budgets.

PM me the location, I'll take a look as well if you like.

Reactions: Shane034
PM me the location, I'll take a look as well if you like.
Thanks but it's ok, I'll contact casa as I need to ask them if I'm allowed to fly here if I get a licence. (I've heard even with a licence some rescue helicopter areas require you to get their permission everytime you fly within 5.5km, which would probably see me find a new hobby lol

Last edited:
I just googled rescue heli bases in a few states, and seems many are in restricted airspace like controlled airports.
If this is the case then it's understandable there is a no for recreational flying.
CASA are opening up permissions inside 5.5km for REOC commercial activities (trial basis).

Hey all,

I was messing around very low level with my mini in my suburb: which is off limits due to a small airport a few kilometres away.

So yes, I was breaking the rules.

I was flying about 15 minutes in an open area and left without issue.

Later on though I was informed the police showed up not long after I'd left.

I'm not going to fly there anymore. But it's got me curious how it came to their attention. It was a secluded area so it wasn't residents who reported it.

I didn't think a small non passenger airport would have radar of any note. But I'm wondering if perhaps some aircraft may have RF band scanners that show up the frequency the drones use?

Got me curious.

Thoughts?
I seriously doubt it was detected with any electronic surveillance equipment. How did you find out that the police showed up i the area specifically looking for a drone? If you found out what the police were doing, someone must have just seen your drone and called them. You may not have seen the "good" samaritan, but someone saw it. I would think.

Hi.Does it matter whether they can or can't detect you flying there.?The fact is you shouldn't be flying there!!! It's people like you who will ruin flying drones for everyone,by a complete ban being placed on private flyers.Please people,obey the rules,I dont want to be punished because of others 'couldnt care less' stupidity.Thanks.Tony.

I just googled rescue heli bases in a few states, and seems many are in restricted airspace like controlled airports.
If this is the case then it's understandable there is a no for recreational flying.
CASA are opening up permissions inside 5.5km for REOC commercial activities (trial basis).
Do you think you'd have to get permission everytime you fly or would one permit make you good? (I'm an amateur photog but could probably register it as a business etc. Just thought written permission everytime would be too much

Do you think you'd have to get permission everytime you fly or would one permit make you good? (I'm an amateur photog but could probably register it as a business etc. Just thought written permission everytime would be too much

Pretty sure REOC is needed, and obviously the RePL to even be part of the trials if the authorisation thing.
AJ posted it up in the News section the other day . . .

Positive moves by CASA

If it's through Airmap (likely as it seems to be the only regular app that has the ability), then it seems like a per flight requirement, although it's easy to do . . . tick up recreational, excluded category, or RePL, then go through the drop downs.

I've only got onto the apps pages of CASA again recently to see what changes there are, seems to be quite a lot of options as to what you use.

Hi.Does it matter whether they can or can't detect you flying there.?The fact is you shouldn't be flying there!!! It's people like you who will ruin flying drones for everyone,by a complete ban being placed on private flyers.Please people,obey the rules,I dont want to be punished because of others 'couldnt care less' stupidity.Thanks.Tony.
There has been enough drones flying near airports that would raise enough concern as to cause a ban, but this has not seemed to have happened. I live in the USA and live less than 3 miles to a non towered airport. DJI doesn't let me take off until, I login and check their boxes, but after that I am able to fly close to the airport, however, I always fly away from it. I believe 3 miles is already too close for a small airport. I like flying from my home and don't want to ruin what I have, so I always fly away from the airport, even though I received prior permission.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc