DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can China Pull the Plug on DJI Flight?

Shawn Paul

Reactions
So I'm not an alarmist but was wondering what happens when the ( Mod Removed Language)hits the fan with China. Will we be able to fly our DJI drones if the Chinese govt says no? Will the DJI software cease to function? Is EVO a good backup?

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory, DJI could push out an update that grounds their drones. A lot of ducks would have to be lined up in a row for that to happen. But since that would effectively kill their business, I can't see any reason why they would do that.

To carry out the thought experiment a little further, assuming that happened, people would just release their own software and firmware. There is already a market now for tweaked firmware and alternative apps.

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn Paul
Please explain.

I suppose if you just never let the app connect to DJI servers again you might be ok.
Not sure if the app is ok with that or not long term.
If does connect they can probably just return something that makes it all stop working.

But like he said why would they?

In theory, DJI could push out an update that grounds their drones. A lot of ducks would have to be lined up in a row for that to happen. But since that would effectively kill their business, I can't see any reason why they would do that.

To carry out the thought experiment a little further, assuming that happened, people would just release their own software and firmware. There is already a market now for tweaked firmware and alternative apps.
As far as I know all apps rely on the DJI SDK, which probably tries to connect to DJI servers.
It could all be reverse engineered to figure out exactly what gets sent to the rc.

So I'm not an alarmist but was wondering what happens when the ( Mod Removed Language)hits the fan with China. Will we be able to fly our DJI drones if the Chinese govt says no? Will the DJI software cease to function?
No .. DJI don't know you are flying and have no contact with your drone.
If you are paranoid, disable auto updates on your phone or tablet.
Is EVO a good backup?
You know it comes from China too?
Autel's head office is just down the road from DJI in Shenzen.

No .. DJI don't know you are flying and have no contact with your drone.
If you are paranoid, disable auto updates on your phone or tablet.

You know it comes from China too?
Autel's head office is just down the road from DJI in Shenzen.
The website said all servers are in TX and built in the USA! They wouldn't be pulling our leg would they??

I'd love to learn more about these mods. If some are sensitive would you PM me?

Could be, but still a Chinese company.
But what does that even mean?

It's like saying that GE appliances will all stop working, or Volvos will refuse to start. Or Motorola phones will brick themselves. And Lenovo laptops could all refuse to boot. All of these are Chinese owned.

But what does that even mean?

It's like saying that GE appliances will all stop working, or Volvos will refuse to start. Or Motorola phones will brick themselves. And Lenovo laptops could all refuse to boot. All of these are Chinese owned.

That's not an accurate comparison. Appliances don't generally phone home for updates constantly (yet).

However I agree it is unlikely DJI would send a poison pill to our apps or firmware, and generally they can't send updates without our consent.

Boy you guys worry to much.
Ive been reading about Kill switch’s for almost 6 years .
Every update since the P2.
Me just going to keep on till I cant go no more. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard