DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can deleting some (not all) files off Mavic Mini micro-SD card possibly cause problems?

Yes- it's a great idea but you have to remember to type in the details of your information after formatting each and every time.
Why not just put it on a tiny sticker hidden below the battery? Just thinking this would be easier.

I regularly format the sd card but never thought to add contact details. Excellent idea, thanks.

But again, someone would have to notice that. Why not something the size of a business card made of thin paper with all your details taped in the fuselage below the battery? Anyone removing the battery would see that.

Perhaps I'm a creature of habit having been shooting 100% digital since 2000 (like when 2.74 mp DSLR's were $5k and a 512mb CF card cost $300!). Back in the day, at least for professional work it was considered the the best idea to delete files, but to alway format, lest you corrupt the index (??? I forgot the term). While technology as come light years since then, I still think it's good practice to back up and format rather than delete individual files. Old dog old trick? Maybe.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 2. In both cases deleting files only partly never caused a problem.
I am a back-up fanatic and when traveling I transfer recordings to my laptop and I leave the files on the SD card of the drone that I want to keep for back-up reasons.

SD cards rely on NAND flash memory and they have a FAT (File Allocation Table) file system, meaning it's like a book with an index. Let's continue with this analogy:
- Deleting files will only delete them from the index, not from the book.
- New chapters (movieclips) can be written as long as there are blank pages.
- As soon as there are no longer blank pages to write on, the pages that are not indexed are used, but have to be wiped first.
- In most flash memories, only a multiple of pages (called sectors) can be erased in one go.
- It's possible some of these pages are still indexed so the erase of that sector cannot continue. For a large book that has little chance of being overfilled, this is no problem though but the constant adding of pages around the indexed pages cost a little performance.
Back to NAND technology:
An erase action will put all bits on that sector to 1's. Writing databits can only make a 0 from a 1 or an erase is needed. Suppose your card has been filled with data for 75% and you delete 25% of the space then put it back in your drone.
The first 25% of the card's space will fill up like it is fresh formatted, after that it needs to erase sectors on the fly before new data can be written.
Now it will come down on how fast sectors can be erased compared to the maximum write speed and bandwidth the drone is writing video data.
Also note that performance of erasing and writing degrades with time.

SD cards rely on NAND flash memory and they have a FAT (File Allocation Table) file system, meaning it's like a book with an index. Let's continue with this analogy:
- Deleting files will only delete them from the index, not from the book.
- New chapters (movieclips) can be written as long as there are blank pages.
- As soon as there are no longer blank pages to write on, the pages that are not indexed are used, but have to be wiped first.
- In most flash memories, only a multiple of pages (called sectors) can be erased in one go.
- It's possible some of these pages are still indexed so the erase of that sector cannot continue. For a large book that has little chance of being overfilled, this is no problem though but the constant adding of pages around the indexed pages cost a little performance.
Back to NAND technology:
An erase action will put all bits on that sector to 1's. Writing databits can only make a 0 from a 1 or an erase is needed. Suppose your card has been filled with data for 75% and you delete 25% of the space then put it back in your drone.
The first 25% of the card's space will fill up like it is fresh formatted, after that it needs to erase sectors on the fly before new data can be written.
Now it will come down on how fast sectors can be erased compared to the maximum write speed and bandwidth the drone is writing video data.
Also note that performance of erasing and writing degrades with time.
Interesting. I normally format using my Windows PC, and there is an option to do a 'Quick' format or a full format which takes much longer. Would the full format be better regarding write performance while in flight?

Interesting. I normally format using my Windows PC, and there is an option to do a 'Quick' format or a full format which takes much longer. Would the full format be better regarding write performance while in flight?
Yes, the quick format only deletes the index, the full format will put every bit to 1 so therefore the latter has the best & consistent write performance while filming

Reactions: Brockrock
Yes, the quick format only deletes the index, the full format will put every bit to 1 so therefore the latter has the best & consistent write performance while filming
Thank you. From now on, that is what I will do.

Reactions: bartjes
I keep a few flight set of files and delete sets as space gets too low. That way I have a temporary backup if I soon find a transfer failed. I separate flight sessions by creating a folder labelled as flight date, then move the two root folders generated by the AC over to the date folder.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11