DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly mavic with broken gimbal?

Thanks guys! I'll check soon to see if I can still get video feed. Haven't had much time this week. What's the easiest way to remove the gimbal?

So I took off the gimbal and have been flying it without the gimbal. It says gimbal motor overloaded almost all the time and forward vision sensor problem sometimes. I have been swamped with schoolwork so haven't had too much time to mess with it. However I noticed one of the forward vision sensors may be blocked partially by the black plastic covering it. Should I be worried about the forward vision sensor? Can anyone recommend anything I may need to replace? Best case and worst case? It flies fine as far as I can tell and seems very stable.

Attachments

• 20170604_151214.jpg
    20170604_151214.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170604_151221.jpg
    20170604_151221.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170604_151224.jpg
    20170604_151224.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 27
By the way I really appreciate all the great advice and insight you guys have been able to provide!! Very helpful! I'm trying to fix this while spending as little money as possible and really appreciate everyone helping instead of me having to go to DJI!!

Try recalibrating the forward vision sensors with DJI Assistant 2. If the sensor has been moved but can still function, it may resolve the issue.

Of course, if the plastic is actually blocking that side it won't help.

Reactions: rkbaseball
Try recalibrating the forward vision sensors with DJI Assistant 2. If the sensor has been moved but can still function, it may resolve the issue.

Of course, if the plastic is actually blocking that side it won't help.
When I tried to calibrate the forward vision sensors, nothing showed up on the screen. Just a white page. Any suggestions?

Update: restarted drone and computer and it worked

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragonfly
Op are you getting video feed? If youre getting video feed but no gimbal movement it could be your ribbon cable is broken. You can fly it, but you might get a gimbal overload message, and one or more of your gimbal motors or your gimbal board could get fried. If youre going to fly it broken, then at least take out the gimbal and fly it line of site. Nothing connected to get hot or short out.
I just got the ribbon cable. No video feed to controller and no movement of gimbal. Gimbal moved freely with my hands. Any suggestions?

Hello everyone, greeting from Jakarta Indonesia

I've been using My mavic for about 4-5 months and nothing but happiness and satisfaction with this foldable monster. Until 3 weeks ago i went to south korea for a short holiday and suddenly these problem happen.. and yes i've got no drone footage at all during that holiday :( The gimbal totally losing control and keep moving, been tried to restarting, calibrating, check the ribbon cable etc and all are seated in their place.. Any idea what happened to my mavic gimbal? Any advice what should i do? @Thunderdrones

Thank you very very much

It could be a Korean curse. Just joking.

It might be the firmware, possibly ribbon cable or gimbal motor assembly.

You can start by updating to the latest firmware, and seeing if you are getting any error messages.

It could be a Korean curse. Just joking.

It might be the firmware, possibly ribbon cable or gimbal motor assembly.

You can start by updating to the latest firmware, and seeing if you are getting any error messages.

LOL Korean curse [emoji23]

Thanks for your feedback, at first i thought the same about the firmware, then i updating to the latest firmware but nothing happened the gimbal still overload and do the harlem shake

Is it possible the problem caused by i never clip the gimbal holder (just using the gimbal protector) and flight turbulance make the ribbon broken?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329