DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly my drone over my house in a NFZ?

This is a straight up judgement call on your part. If you live in the area you see where the air traffic is all the time. You know if there is aircraft directly over your home.

Honestly if a commercial aircraft is 20 feet over a home the drone isn't the problem.

Reactions: Flynz and fguthrie
This is a straight up judgement call on your part. If you live in the area you see where the air traffic is all the time. You know if there is aircraft directly over your home.

Honestly if a commercial aircraft is 20 feet over a home the drone isn't the problem.

Provided you ignore the fact that it is illegal, that's correct.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
what provider are you using in this example?

Reactions: fguthrie
Provided you ignore the fact that it is illegal, that's correct.
So I'm getting conflicting information here. Some LAANC providers such as Airmap says it is ok to fly. Brett8833 states it is ok for me to fly based on what he sees. But since the FAA chose to use squares instead of circles (used in aeronautical charts), it is actually illegal for me to fly my drone where I live? Is that correct?

it is actually illegal for me to fly my drone where I live?
As we do not have the precise location where you live, it's only a guesswork to provide a correct answer.

To quote FAA rules:
  1. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  2. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground when in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.
  3. obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
    1. LAANC
    2. DroneZone
    3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
  4. NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.

So, if you are in class G airspace, you are good to go.
How to find out, where and what kind of airspace you are in, read the sectionals.

KMYF_Sectional.png

It could be that your location is either in class G or if you are more to the west, you are in class D airspace.

To make it clearer here another view from the area you intend to fly:

KMYF_Sectional2.png

If you are at the red spot right (east) at the border, you can fly to the east, but not to the west because you are entering class D airspace.

My son took delivery of my new MP2 drone and tried to have a play inside his apartment unit which was not very far from Sydney airport. He thought the drone was faulty when it wouldn't start for him. He and I learnt fairly quickly about the new firmware and NFZ's

First, I hope all of you are staying safe in this most unusual time. I don't know how you all are doing, but I sure miss flying.

Here is my question: I live in a NFZ, however we know even though I live in a NFZ, I can still fly in my house (which happens to have high ceilings) as the FAA does not control the airspace within my house. Yea, I know what you are thinking, why would anyone fly in their house? We have all explored this thought in one way or another. Moving on to my question. I've heard (but have not been able to verify) that the airspace of my home actually extends twice the height of my home. Which may mean that even though I live in a NFZ, I could fly my drone just above my own home legally. Thoughts? Thanks for your feedback.
There’s no reason why you can’t go out and fly during the COVID-19.Shut in if you go to class G airspace as long as you don’t get close to people

A couple of things.

If you're outside of the airspace, but still in a UASFM gird, you don't need permission to fly. As mentioned, it is a round peg, square hole situation. The only time you need to worry is if you are in the actual airspace. Any time airspace touches a square, that entire square shows an AGL limit, but it only applies to the area inside the airspace in that gird.

The ultimate authority on the airspace is the FAA, not AirMap, not Skyward, and not DJI.

Put your address in the search box at the FAA's ArcGIS site (ArcGIS Web Application). That is the ultimate authority. Make sure you have all of the boxes below checked. You also need to check for NOTAMs and TFRs. Use www.1800wxbrief.com for that.

If you are in an area that you are allowed to fly in, and the DJI App won't let you take off, go to www.dji.com/flysafe and apply for a custom unlock. Once you have that, you can turn it on and off and fly at your house.

As far as why the grids are used instead of the actual airspace is for uniformity between airports. Each grid represents 1 minute of latitude by 1 minute of longitude. That system works pretty well, but not great. There is talk of reworking the grids to be 1/2 minute square. That should make things a little better.

And the reason they don't use concentric circles is because the AGL is determined by flight paths, not distance from the airport. If the FAA used concentric circles, the AGL would either be too small for safety, or too large practical use. And in some UASFMs we have random 0AGL grids due to hospital helipads. See the KAPA UASFM below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 7.31.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 7.31.20 AM.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 15
  • KAPA.jpg
    KAPA.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 16
First, I hope all of you are staying safe in this most unusual time. I don't know how you all are doing, but I sure miss flying.

Here is my question: I live in a NFZ, however we know even though I live in a NFZ, I can still fly in my house (which happens to have high ceilings) as the FAA does not control the airspace within my house. Yea, I know what you are thinking, why would anyone fly in their house? We have all explored this thought in one way or another. Moving on to my question. I've heard (but have not been able to verify) that the airspace of my home actually extends twice the height of my home. Which may mean that even though I live in a NFZ, I could fly my drone just above my own home legally. Thoughts? Thanks for your feedback.
The FAA controls the airspace down to the grass, i was told by two field Inspectors responding to a complaint from my condo’s attorney who claimed that the condo controlled the airspace over the village. I have been flying over my gated community happily ever since, observing normal rules over structures and people, of course.:)

Reactions: jagraphics

I live in a NFZ, and I cant even take off in my house! ?

So I'm getting conflicting information here. Some LAANC providers such as Airmap says it is ok to fly. Brett8833 states it is ok for me to fly based on what he sees. But since the FAA chose to use squares instead of circles (used in aeronautical charts), it is actually illegal for me to fly my drone where I live? Is that correct?

As mentioned by @Keule and @Vic Moss, it depends on whether you are inside or outside the surface controlled airspace. If you are in one of the outer grid squares, but in Class G airspace, then no authorization is needed. My comment was in response to the suggestion that it is a judgement call, when in fact the law is perfectly clear.

If you can check out the video out from yesterday’s email of topics from mavicpilots.com. I believe it was called “in my yard” officer detains drone pilot” it talks about this law specifically.

A couple of things.

If you're outside of the airspace, but still in a UASFM gird, you don't need permission to fly. As mentioned, it is a round peg, square hole situation. The only time you need to worry is if you are in the actual airspace. Any time airspace touches a square, that entire square shows an AGL limit, but it only applies to the area inside the airspace in that gird.

The ultimate authority on the airspace is the FAA, not AirMap, not Skyward, and not DJI.

Put your address in the search box at the FAA's ArcGIS site (ArcGIS Web Application). That is the ultimate authority. Make sure you have all of the boxes below checked. You also need to check for NOTAMs and TFRs. Use www.1800wxbrief.com for that.

If you are in an area that you are allowed to fly in, and the DJI App won't let you take off, go to www.dji.com/flysafe and apply for a custom unlock. Once you have that, you can turn it on and off and fly at your house.

As far as why the grids are used instead of the actual airspace is for uniformity between airports. Each grid represents 1 minute of latitude by 1 minute of longitude. That system works pretty well, but not great. There is talk of reworking the grids to be 1/2 minute square. That should make things a little better.

And the reason they don't use concentric circles is because the AGL is determined by flight paths, not distance from the airport. If the FAA used concentric circles, the AGL would either be too small for safety, or too large practical use. And in some UASFMs we have random 0AGL grids due to hospital helipads. See the KAPA UASFM below.
Thanks for the explaination. I can tell you at least understand my point. 1/2 minute squares would be better yes. There still has to be a better way, however, it is what it is.

Thanks for indulging me

You can’t fly in the blue circle like we talked about but it’s ok outside the circle.

Thanks for the explaination. I can tell you at least understand my point. 1/2 minute squares would be better yes. There still has to be a better way, however, it is what it is.

Thanks for indulging me

Just to clarify - I don't disagree with you that it's a bit clunky - I just don't know how they could have fixed that issue without adding a lot of complexity.

Reactions: brett8883
This has interested me as well. Airmap believes that I am in class G airspace, but the FAA map says otherwise. As such when I power up my DJI Mavic 2 Pro, it tells me I am in a NFZ. Use this street as a reference point "Via Playa De Cortes, San Diego, California 92124, United States". I live on the outside of the NFZ according to airmap.
I looked on AirMap and if you are outside of the Class D airspace for Montgomery field on the street you named you are in Class G airspace and you can flyover your house and property, but the instant you cross into that Class D airspace it is a 0 foot AGL sector. You cannot get LAANC clearance for that sector. You could apply for a waiver through the FAA DroneZone portal, but as a recreational pilot your chances would be slim.

With the greenways I see right in your area it would be more advisable to fly there away from a residential area. Of course at this time it would all depend on the severity of the lockdown in your area.

The other thing I would advise you to do is go to the FAA website and look for the downloadable sectional charts for your area. There is a lot of Class D airspace around you with Class G right next to it. You are allowed to fly in Class G up to 400 feet AGL. The sectional charts have a legend to tell you what the symbols mean. There is also a library of free information available for download. In addition to the sectionals I would suggest the Airman’s Information Manual.

The FAA controls the airspace down to the grass, i was told by two field Inspectors

This is the crux of it. I know there are people who say "We The People own the airspace" but it is Administered by the Government you vote for to represent you. The Government who in turn set up agencies to carry out your will as instructed by your elected representatives . So the FAA do own the airspace down to the grass as The People told them to do via the representatives you elected.

Now you may not like it but no criminal likes it when the Authorities stop them doing what they want to do be it murder, rape, theft, drug dealing, speeding in a car or flying a drone against the laws for the overall good of society. It's a ***** when it stops you doing what you want to do but Democracy is the least worst form of government any one has come up with in the last 6,000 years.

They might let you take off but you have to get permission first! That happened to me and I had to call the FAA and they sent me a code to unlock my Drone but I was restricted to 161 feet and my Drone wouldn’t go over 161 feet! Believe me, I tried!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet