DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly my drone over my house in a NFZ?

fguthrie

Reactions
First, I hope all of you are staying safe in this most unusual time. I don't know how you all are doing, but I sure miss flying.

Here is my question: I live in a NFZ, however we know even though I live in a NFZ, I can still fly in my house (which happens to have high ceilings) as the FAA does not control the airspace within my house. Yea, I know what you are thinking, why would anyone fly in their house? We have all explored this thought in one way or another. Moving on to my question. I've heard (but have not been able to verify) that the airspace of my home actually extends twice the height of my home. Which may mean that even though I live in a NFZ, I could fly my drone just above my own home legally. Thoughts? Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: knewton
This has interested me as well. Airmap believes that I am in class G airspace, but the FAA map says otherwise. As such when I power up my DJI Mavic 2 Pro, it tells me I am in a NFZ. Use this street as a reference point "Via Playa De Cortes, San Diego, California 92124, United States". I live on the outside of the NFZ according to airmap.

First, I hope all of you are staying safe in this most unusual time. I don't know how you all are doing, but I sure miss flying.

Here is my question: I live in a NFZ, however we know even though I live in a NFZ, I can still fly in my house (which happens to have high ceilings) as the FAA does not control the airspace within my house. Yea, I know what you are thinking, why would anyone fly in their house? We have all explored this thought in one way or another. Moving on to my question. I've heard (but have not been able to verify) that the airspace of my home actually extends twice the height of my home. Which may mean that even though I live in a NFZ, I could fly my drone just above my own home legally. Thoughts? Thanks for your feedback.
No you cannot fly above, around, or near your house if it is an a NFZ. There is no such "private" airspace around or above your home. The FAA controls all airspace in the USA. Period.

If the controlled airspace says that it is from surface to some given altitude then that is exactly what it means. As soon as you leave the ground, you are flying in the controlled airspace.

Others have said the same thing with other structures like tall buildings, mountains, and even trees. If for instance you are flying at 20 feet in a clearing, completely surrounded by 40 foot tall trees, and that spot is in a NFZ, you still cannot fly there legally.

No you cannot fly above, around, or near your house if it is an a NFZ. There is no such "private" airspace around or above your home. The FAA controls all airspace in the USA. Period.

If the controlled airspace says that it is from surface to some given altitude then that is exactly what it means. As soon as you leave the ground, you are flying in the controlled airspace.

Others have said the same thing with other structures like tall buildings, mountains, and even trees. If for instance you are flying at 20 feet in a clearing, completely surrounded by 40 foot tall trees, and that spot is in a NFZ, you still cannot fly there legally.
Your reply pretty much summed that up - thank you.

This has interested me as well. Airmap believes that I am in class G airspace, but the FAA map says otherwise. As such when I power up my DJI Mavic 2 Pro, it tells me I am in a NFZ. Use this street as a reference point "Via Playa De Cortes, San Diego, California 92124, United States". I live on the outside of the NFZ according to airmap.
Part of this road is in class D airspace with 0 ft LAANC restriction and part of it is in class G airspace (ok to fly there).

The reason there’s a disconnect between the FAA facilities chart and AirMap is because the facilities chart is based on squares but airspace is actually based on circles. Infuriating I know.

The class D airspace touches the square your street is in so the facilities chart automatically tells you you can’t fly anywhere in that square. However, the law is actually based on airspace which is based on circles so as long as you don’t fly into the blue circle you are ok
CD3BABFE-C8D7-47AF-8B1C-76ACF5C1AE5D.jpeg

0DD9AA83-3F01-43BD-B4BA-05B4EFA10CC0.png

Part of this road is in class D airspace with 0 ft LAANC restriction and part of it is in class G airspace (ok to fly there).

The reason there’s a disconnect between the FAA facilities chart and AirMap is because the facilities chart is based on squares but airspace is actually based on circles. Infuriating I know.

The class D airspace touches the square your street is in so the facilities chart automatically tells you you can’t fly anywhere in that square. However, the law is actually based on airspace which is based on circles so as long as you don’t fly into the blue circle you are ok
View attachment 98448

View attachment 98444
Thanks!! Yes, it is a little close for comfort as @brett883 mentioned. I'm not planning to fly much here anyway, but one small flight (hopefully) won't get me into trouble.

It’s actually the DOD restricted area touching that square that makes the area in blue a 0 ft LAANC restriction. Again, the problem is the archaic method of using squares to represent circles that LAANC uses. Only Government could come up with such a thing.

For a grid they needed a regular shape that would tessellate, so the options were triangles, squares or hexagons.

What do they need a grid for? Why do they need regular shapes? Why can’t it just be what it actually is like on an aeronautical chart?

Because the allowed altitude varies with position inside the controlled airspace - it's not uniform.

Reactions: jagraphics
Why can’t it just be what it actually is like on an aeronautical chart?
Some LAANC providers do follow the sectional layout on the outer limits.
In the specific case the OP wants to fly:

2020-04-11_20-50-41.png

Trimming the outer squares to the edge of the airspace is just changing the representation. The airspace authorizations are still based on a square grid.
The point is if it WAS set up like this then the area here8BB0F822-495D-48EE-A596-045B0B9D977D.jpeg
Wouldn’t go into the restricted area and wouldn’t be a 0 ft area just for happening to be in the same imaginary square that the FAA dreamt up one day for no reason. It would probably be a 250 ft area.

I’ll take it step further... why isn’t it based on concentric circles? You know kinda like how aeronautical charts are?

3029D29B-F57C-4BA5-B778-F06441519F1E.jpeg
Does this not make much more sense and easier to follow?? Why did they have to come up with some all new system based on a grid?

The point is if it WAS set up like this then the area hereView attachment 98461
Wouldn’t go into the restricted area and wouldn’t be a 0 ft area just for happening to be in the same imaginary square that the FAA dreamt up one day for no reason. It would probably be a 250 ft area.

I’ll take it step further... why isn’t it based on concentric circles? You know kinda like how aeronautical charts are?

View attachment 98463
Does this not make much more sense and easier to follow?? Why did they have to come up with some all new system based on a grid?

Because it isn't just based on distance either - it takes the runway configuration into account. For example:

1586637655901.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree