DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly my MA 2 along a compass bearing?

Wes Jansonn

Reactions
Hello, fellow dronies,

After many happy years my beloved Mavic Air has taken her final trip into the treetops. (sigh)

I just took delivery of a Mavic Air 2. I'm on a volunteer, Search & Rescue team and the intelligent flight mode, course lock, was a useful tool for organizing a search.

Is there any way I can fly my new, MA 2 along a compass bearing, the way I could with my older Mavic?

Thanks for your help!

You can get course lock with an alternative controller app, like LITCHI.

I've never been able to figure out why DJI has taken it away for recent models.

Chris
Agreed. After all, how much extra code would that really take?

For my M2, I found tap fly a decent compromise. Just be sure to take into account the horizon when you tap, or it will descend into your target rather than fly over to it.

Agreed. After all, how much extra code would that really take?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the code is still in there, but that access to it was simply removed. Some software engineers reading this will understand what I mean by "don't touch the code, you don't know what it will break", but removing the entry is fairly safe.

Either way, it could still be added back in firmware, but if that was going to happen, it probably would have already.

Another option: one could probably program a waypoint mission from point A to B, but I'm not sure there's a mission action that would allow free aircraft (hence camera) rotation during the flight.

Course lock functionally exists in MA2, but only if you’re recording Hyperlapse videos. It’s great because it allows you to fly straight past an object while keeps the camera locked onto that object (the drone automatically rotates the drone and adjusts the gimbal tilt) .

I was shocked to find that the Course Lock functionally has not been enabled by DJI for regular video recording. Not cool!

I was trying to achieve a similar result today manually and it is very difficult (near impossible).

I just point the craft to the intended direction and push the elevator stick. No ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22