DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly with no Maps?

how about getting TO the shots you want??? finding something interesting on google earth and then driving to within a couple miles of the thing to see... get out the mavic, and using the map to help navigate to the destination.... will assist you in getting the shot.....

and should something happen to your camera, only using the map, can get you anywhere but RTH.

From 400 feet one can see a couple of miles to find the area of interest. Or one could have used Litchi to fly right to that spot.

Of course since we all only fly LOS what help is a map?

Without the camera working the only place i would want to get to is home and you can do that easily without the map or the RTH button.

I like a map when available or convenient but don't let the lack of one keep me from flying or getting the shots I desire.

From 400 feet one can see a couple of miles to find the area of interest. Or one could have used Litchi to fly right to that spot.

Without the camera working the only place i would want to get to is home and you can do that easily without the map or the RTH button.

I like a map when available or convenient but don't let the lack of one keep me from flying or getting the shots I desire.

not sure why you have an argumentive attitude. Please dont let my joy of using maps effect your joy of not.

Reactions: Bobby for a Day!
I think maps are very important. They tell you were you are in relationship to your home point. if you crash you have a very good Idea where you went down. Thats a big help if you could not see it go down. if your looking for something on a certain street you will be able to find that street on the map. Little boy lost last seen on J street near y corner no map how do you find it. Maps are good for a lot of things.
I crashed a while back did n't see it go down, but looking at the map I knew where to look and I found it.

^^^THIS

I wonder how many people who have lost their drone could have been helped if they had a map to find it. I also use it to help determine my drone’s height AGL when it is flying on a hillside. My topomap program has aerials, so I match it up to the contours on the topo to see what my allowable height limits can be relative to terrain directly below the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilomikebravo

I don’t always have a preloaded map either, as sometimes I go to a new location and didn't get a chance to do it before and there’s no cell reception. I usually miss them though when it happens as it’s easier to calculate true height AGL when flying with the help of a map on hillsides, especially if the hills extend higher than 400’ above you. And using a satellite image background makes it easier to find POI’s, all while maintaining VLOS.

And as pointed out by BigBird, its also much easier to find a crashed drone with a map...

Last edited:
And as pointed out by BigBird, its also much easier to find a crashed drone with a map...
[/QUOTE

Five years of flying quads and knock on wood I have not had to find a crashed drone. I just don't even think about having a map; if I do fine, if not fine. I may regret that when I I do lose one in the wild.

In almost three years of flying an M1 and M2P, I've never pulled up maps. Really.

Obviously, they are quite helpful to many people but I guess my typical flying routine is not one that would benefit. Between watching the camera view and keeping an eye on the aircraft (or strobes,) I don't think maps would assist me very much. The radar display on the other hand, is very useful. I JUST WISH DJI WOULD SHOW THE MAGNETIC HEADING OF THE DRONE IN GO4!!!!

(DJI, did you hear my shout?) <smile>

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tsvetan