DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly with no Maps?

Lhemmerich

Reactions
I do not have access to WiFi..new SC controller...no off line maps
If there are no maps c@n I fly? What will go4 do?

Yes, you can fly without the maps. If you're looking at the map view, it'll be blank. Switch over to the camera view and you'll be able to see what the camera sees.

And if you want to use the maps, you can cache them like this before you head out to fly.

Reactions: Thomas B
I do not have access to WiFi..new SC controller...no off line maps
If there are no maps c@n I fly? What will go4 do?
Your drone will fly wherever you point it.
The map is just for your convenience and not particularly useful for most flight anyway.
The radar display is generally more useful.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Your drone will fly wherever you point it.
The map is just for your convenience and not particularly useful for most flight anyway.
The radar display is generally more useful.
I flew without maps for the first 2-3 months when I purchased my first Mp1 learning about the go4 app and stick control and keeping the drone in VLOS there was no real need for maps and when you've got that under control they are not that important as stated above. Safe flying

Reactions: Wyojet
Yes, you can fly without the maps. If you're looking at the map view, it'll be blank. Switch over to the camera view and you'll be able to see what the camera sees.

And if you want to use the maps, you can cache them like this before you head out to fly.
Do you know if you can wifi tether the Smart Controller to your smartphone to cache maps when not near wifi?

You're supposed to be able to hot spot from your device I Haven't figured that out yet to get it to work
You haven't been able to set up a hotspot on your mobile device? Or you haven't been able to connect the Smart Controller to a Wi-Fi network?

I do a lot of flying (part 107) at various areas. I find the map very helpful in verifying the compass is working correctly. I normally have to recalibrate on start up (many times I am in a different state), and I alway point the drone at the nearest road. Now before I take off I verify with the map the GO4 map also shows my drone pointing at the road. Sometimes in strange locations, you can get messed up with where North is, but if the map shows you pointing at the road correctly, you compass is working right.

I read all these ?'s about maps and don't understand why some say they have to down load maps or tether to there phones. I have a ipad and have always had maps. What am I missing or should I say what are they missing?

Something I've noticed with the Smart Controller is that even when flying in areas I have never been before with no cellular service (normally I use a hot spot from my phone), the SC still displayed an accurate terrain map. I don't know how it had the map but it did, so that was a nice surprise. Maybe when you activate the controller it automatically caches maps in a certain radius? I am not sure.

I do a lot of flying (part 107) at various areas. I find the map very helpful in verifying the compass is working correctly. I normally have to recalibrate on start up (many times I am in a different state), and I alway point the drone at the nearest road. Now before I take off I verify with the map the GO4 map also shows my drone pointing at the road. Sometimes in strange locations, you can get messed up with where North is, but if the map shows you pointing at the road correctly, you compass is working right.
that's an interesting application of maps.
i can see where that would work

I flew without maps for the first 2-3 months when I purchased my first Mp1 learning about the go4 app and stick control and keeping the drone in VLOS there was no real need for maps and when you've got that under control they are not that important as stated above. Safe flying

Maps are "not that important" for flying but are INCREDIBLE for enjoying a whole other side of the flying / hobby experience. I flew for months ONLY with maps as my camera was broken and I was waiting for parts.

Maps are "not that important" for flying but are INCREDIBLE for enjoying a whole other side of the flying / hobby experience. I flew for months ONLY with maps as my camera was broken and I was waiting for parts.
Hi, I'm being sincere...what do maps do for your experience? I feel like I may be missing out on something

Reactions: parkgt
Very seldom do I find a map of much use in getting the shots I want.

I think maps are very important. They tell you were you are in relationship to your home point. if you crash you have a very good Idea where you went down. Thats a big help if you could not see it go down. if your looking for something on a certain street you will be able to find that street on the map. Little boy lost last seen on J street near y corner no map how do you find it. Maps are good for a lot of things.
I crashed a while back did n't see it go down, but looking at the map I knew where to look and I found it.

Reactions: AMann and mereflyer
For me, the maps are most useful when I'm trying to fly a specific flight path -- like down the middle of a street.

Very seldom do I find a map of much use in getting the shots I want.

how about getting TO the shots you want??? finding something interesting on google earth and then driving to within a couple miles of the thing to see... get out the mavic, and using the map to help navigate to the destination.... will assist you in getting the shot.....

and should something happen to your camera, only using the map, can get you anywhere but RTH.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom