DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I justify a Spark and a Mini?

tkshaffer70

Reactions
Does anyone have both? I have my Mini on the way from FDS but a friend has offered me his Spark Fly More for 200 and it is an enjoyable flight and my goodness the unit is solid like a tank. I am pretty well versed in the differences between the units but curious if any of you have both and find the additional features of the Spark worth hanging on to? I definitely want the Mini as i want the 2.7k video and 3 axis. Does DJI have a history of adding features in to models and possibly make the Spark redundant? I really did like the active track of the Spark when I was trying it. My long term plan is to buy a Pro 2 once I am really confident and ensure I really get into this drone thing...but even then might a 200 dollar spark be a good solution for more risky flights (less than ideal open conditions)? I may jump off a bridge if I lose a thousand dollar drone...but a two hundred one would just be a really bad day.

I have a Spark and MP2 dont know who would buy a Spark second hand now if they know about the MM.

The MM is a great upgrade to a spark but not quite the same leap as to a MP2

Reactions: tkshaffer70
Does anyone have both? I have my Mini on the way from FDS but a friend has offered me his Spark Fly More for 200 and it is an enjoyable flight and my goodness the unit is solid like a tank. I am pretty well versed in the differences between the units but curious if any of you have both and find the additional features of the Spark worth hanging on to? I definitely want the Mini as i want the 2.7k video and 3 axis. Does DJI have a history of adding features in to models and possibly make the Spark redundant? I really did like the active track of the Spark when I was trying it. My long term plan is to buy a Pro 2 once I am really confident and ensure I really get into this drone thing...but even then might a 200 dollar spark be a good solution for more risky flights (less than ideal open conditions)? I may jump off a bridge if I lose a thousand dollar drone...but a two hundred one would just be a really bad day.
I would buy just for Litchi compatibility.

I have the Spark and Mavic Mini. The Mavic Mini is incredible. Range and video so much better then the Spark. Of course having both is not a bad thing.

I have a Mavic Air, an Spark and now the Mavic Mini joined the club a week ago. All are fly more combos.

I can tell you all have their pros and cons.

However I would like the Mavics to have the same ability the Spark Fly more have to charge up to 4 batteries (3 with the battery hub and another in the Spark) all at the same time.
This means you can charge up to 4 batteries in less than an hour.

The Mavics charge the batteries sequentially. One drained (20%) battery takes 1 hour 20 minutes to fully charge. So to charge all 3 takes almost 4 hours!

The Mavics have longer flying time so that compensate for the longer charging time.

The Spark is a very sturdy drone. Can withstand almost anything.

The Mini is a little fragile in its design so you have to fly it with care. You'll have to always keep an eye on it since it flies blind, no collision sensors like the Mavic Air and Spark.

The Mavic Air is the king of the lower end (less than $1000) DJI drones. Excellent camera flexibility and resolution. Good flying time (17 to 20 mins) compared to Spark (10 to 12 mins) but not as good as the Mini (27 mins).

I'll keep the Mavics and the Spark will go to the hands of my daughter this Christmas eve.

I have a Mavic Air, an Spark and now the Mavic Mini joined the club a week ago. All are fly more combos.

I can tell you all have their pros and cons.

However I would like the Mavics to have the same ability the Spark Fly more have to charge up to 4 batteries (3 with the battery hub and another in the Spark) all at the same time.
This means you can charge up to 4 batteries in less than an hour.

The Mavics charge the batteries sequentially. One drained (20%) battery takes 1 hour 20 minutes to fully charge. So to charge all 3 takes almost 4 hours!

The Mavics have longer flying time so that compensate for the longer charging time.

The Spark is a very sturdy drone. Can withstand almost anything.

The Mini is a little fragile in its design so you have to fly it with care. You'll have to always keep an eye on it since it flies blind, no collision sensors like the Mavic Air and Spark.

The Mavic Air is the king of the lower end (less than $1000) DJI drones. Excellent camera flexibility and resolution. Good flying time (17 to 20 mins) compared to Spark (10 to 12 mins) but not as good as the Mini (27 mins).

I'll keep the Mavics and the Spark will go to the hands of my daughter this Christmas eve.

Thanks for the feedback! Are you finding the air to give you a big enough jump over the mini to account for the price bump? I was going to jump to that for the raw files but after downloading a bunch of mini jpegs I was pretty satisfied.

I really dig the sparks features and build but maybe I am being silly. When would I use it over the mini outside of some active track situations?

I don’t consider the Mini to be an upgrade from the Spark. They are just different. The Minimism,is sing too many features important to me to be an “upgrade,”. While self unlocking is coming, I’ve heard nothing about adding active track or Gesture mode, which I use all of the time. The inability to control the MM with just the mobile phone is absolutely terrible.

I’d like to get the MM as soon as any of the above deal killlers (for me) are fixed — not because it fills a need in my fleet, but because it is a different experience.

It’s always good to have a back up for when the other drone breaks down

It's a sickness..lets face it..How many of us have super expensive camera's and len's sitting on the shelves that haven't been used in years. I wish I hadn't seen that MM video that I shouldn't have looked at earlier today...;(

I own them both. Both great drones for different reasons. $200 is a great price for the Spark. It offers a lot of features and a durability you just don’t get with the MM.

For that price, I'd get both. Soon as you start flying in any sort of wind you'll quickly see the difference between spark and the MM. I still fly the MM in wind, just extra cautiously.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the great replies! On one hand it is hard to justify when i know i want to upgrade and have the mini as my "everyday" tag along with a pro 2 for serious shots but the ability to practice was a great point and I already understand these are like potato chips! I did go ahead and buy the Spark. It will be my bad condition/practice/risky maneuver drone. Your feedback was exactly what i needed!

Last edited:

I got rid of my TWO spark for the Mavic Mini

I still have TWO Mavic Air with the Mavic Mini

Why two Spark and Mavic Air?
My wife's idea.

I used to build drones.
Wife noticed I had a bunch of spare parts for repair.
But if I had to send off to service, I would have nothing.
She then said here, take a look at these specials on QVC :D

My spark sunk in a foot of water for about 60 secs before i rescued it and pulled the battery off. 24 hours in a small hot room, some blow dryer, and it flies like a champ. Bulletproof for real!

Like any electronic devices, when you get it wet, the very first thing you need to do is remove the battery if you can. Then dry as much as you can. And like Santoli said. dry room and let completely dry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe