DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I stand on something to extend my flight ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew my MM in an altitude restricted area (200’AGL) near PSP. I set my max altitude at 210’ to see if the drone would continue past the LANNC authorized limit Of 200’ AGL. At 197’ AGL the drone quit climbing and I got the “Maximimum altitude reached” message. This indicated to me that the drones software would prevent busting through the restriction. Great piece of tech.

Question, so if I am in an area that has a LAANC requirement with 200 feet max ceiling but I am able to go up a 5 story parking garage.. Does this man i can fly 200 feet above the parking garage top?

Thanks,

Venom
you can look forward to being on the WITNESS STAND in the event your exceeding your cleared altitude causes a mishap or you get snagged...not a good place to find yourself.

you can look forward to being on the WITNESS STAND in the event your exceeding your cleared altitude causes a mishap or you get snagged...not a good place to find yourself.
I mean I agree , but you can say this about a lot of things....

Always thought AGL is Above Ground Level, not ASL-Above Structure Level. Thought this issue was pretty cut and clear! May be wrong, but the only exception I can think of, off hand, is the Part 107 allowance of 400 foot plus over a tower.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The altitude limits in LAANC are above ground heights so you drone cant fly over 200 ft from the surface of the ground. If you fly over a hill you can still 200 ft above the hill. Your location is meaningless though. It’s the drones location that matters
That is an answer I would have given. Excellent! AGL Does mean above the ground. Here in Arizona, I am in somewhat of a valley. My problem is, if I am IN the valley, I have to fly up, with the camera level, to determine the height of the hills around me to be sure I do not fly into one.

That is an answer I would have given. Excellent! AGL Does mean above the ground. Here in Arizona, I am in somewhat of a valley. My problem is, if I am IN the valley, I have to fly up, with the camera level, to determine the height of the hills around me to be sure I do not fly into one.

If you are flying in the middle of a valley and ascending to the height of the surrounding hills that are more than 400 ft above you then that is a bad strategy. You could just consult a topo map, or Google Earth, before flying.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Always thought AGL is Above Ground Level, not ASL-Above Structure Level. Thought this issue was pretty cut and clear! May be wrong, but the only exception I can think of, off hand, is the Part 107 allowance of 400 foot plus over a tower.
Yes that is correct! Totally clear and explicit.

The only complicating factor is that the height shown to us in the DJI app is height above the home point. So as you fly over varying topology you don't know the exact height AGL where the drone is. So specifically if you are flying from high ground, your drone can exceed its maximum allowable height AGL while still showing you that it is within that limit.

Generally this won't be a problem since you:
  • should be flying VLOS and can tell if there is a large variance in altitude between your home point and the drone's location
  • won't be flying in a restrictive LAANC grid where it is even more critical
  • won't be near areas of high air traffic so if you are actually at 421' instead of 400' it generally would not be a major problem. Disclaimer: If you hit an aircraft at 421' AGL and your height reading in the app (above home point) was 400' you will still be at fault.
If you are in a low LAANC grid (let's say 50 foot max altitude) then you need to be especially careful since you are most likely not only near an airport, but also in the approach/departure pattern path. In those cases, be super careful and try to launch from the LOWEST ground possible in the area.

Reactions: VenomXts

ASL is Above Sea Level... oh, wait, you were kidding.

Guys your not going anywhere.?

Reactions: old man mavic
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie