DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Mavic Pro flip controls when flying towards you?

Calibrating the compass has no link to the question that was originally asked and in general is carried out needlessly. Far better to power down the drone and power it up again at a different location away from whatever caused the compass calibration request. I’ve a 5 year old Mavic Pro that has been calibrated once in that time yet has traveled the length of the UK.

@Archerpilot bit confused by your post
you have mentioned the Mavic Pro ,but have posted it in the Mini 2 discussions forum ?
anyway ,with regards to you question ,when any sort of RC controlled device, be it plane, drone, or ground vehicle, or indeed a boat ,is facing directly towards you then unfortunately the controls will be reversed ,its something that has to be mastered
Thank you old man mavic. I am too :)

Reactions: old man mavic
The thing to try and do is to image you are sitting inside your drone and flying it. The more you can get that picture in your brain, the better off you will be in controlling it. Another tip to practice is to start flying it away from you but at a slight angle. So, fly away from where you are standing, then over to the left slightly and stop it, then gently turn it to the right and begin to fly the field from left to right, across your position in that field, if you can understand what I'm saying here.

Again, putting yourself inside that drone as you fly. Then do a 180 and fly it from right to left and again imagine that you are inside it. When you get comfortable doing that left to right and right to left, begin to turn a little closer to yourself, so now you are not going left and right as you watch the drone, but rather you are coming back towards yourself ever so slightly as you go left to right and right to left.

When you get more comfortable with this, then just increase that turn each time from one side to the other and start to fly even more towards yourself, almost a zig-zag course back to where you stand and always image yourself inside the drone. Before long you will be more comfortable with flying away, turning, going across and then turning back towards yourself, until flying back to your take off point will become second nature.

You can also image that you are sitting in the drone, as you watch it coming towards yourself and as you look at that drone, now think you are in the drone and the drone is now you, standing there. If you want to go left of your imagined self (the drone) you would push the stick left and if you want to go right, push the stick right. It's a little complicated to describe but if you sit down and close your eyes and image what you are doing, then you might come to understand how to visualize this when you are actually flying back to your position and get a better feel for what you need to do with the sticks.
Thank you for the suggestions. I like the slight angle and will try that 1st. I know it's practice practice practice and having these tips will help a lot.
Mark