DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can MM measure wind speed and its direction ?

Tomas H.

Reactions
Hi,
I understand that blowaways are one of most common causes for drone loss, and flying in windy days must be very careful, that’s why pilots gets high wind warnings :). However, my experience is that those messages starts to pop up even with winds like 3m/s (according to UAV tool), which is way below MM limit 8m/s.

I guess, that if MM can sense when to send the “high wind warning”, it needs to measure how strong the wind is, and from which directio it blows. So, can we see more details about the wind?

I tried an experiment: to fly in circle. I’d expect that when flying against the wind dron is slower (yes, I can see that), and flying with the wind dron is faster (well, a bit it is, but I have never seen speeds over 13m/s, which should be maximum speed in S mode with no wind conditions). So this way I can not reliably measure actual wind speed. UAV is great tool, but it is based on meteorogical forecast models, which are actualised like every 5 hours or so.

Looking forward to see what is your approach to measuring the wind...and to decide when (not) to fly.

Hi,
I understand that blowaways are one of most common causes for drone loss, and flying in windy days must be very careful, that’s why pilots gets high wind warnings :). However, my experience is that those messages starts to pop up even with winds like 3m/s (according to UAV tool), which is way below MM limit 8m/s.

I guess, that if MM can sense when to send the “high wind warning”, it needs to measure how strong the wind is, and from which directio it blows. So, can we see more details about the wind?

I tried an experiment: to fly in circle. I’d expect that when flying against the wind dron is slower (yes, I can see that), and flying with the wind dron is faster (well, a bit it is, but I have never seen speeds over 13m/s, which should be maximum speed in S mode with no wind conditions). So this way I can not reliably measure actual wind speed. UAV is great tool, but it is based on meteorogical forecast models, which are actualised like every 5 hours or so.

Looking forward to see what is your approach to measuring the wind...and to decide when (not) to fly.
there are several indicators to give you an idea of the wind in the area you are going to be flying in one of the best ones is looking at any trees around and watching how much they are swaying in the wind ,another is to look at clouds as they move across the sky ,watch any birds that may be flying about if its very windy you will see them fighting the wind as they fly
and then if you still want to fly take off and fly up in 30ft increments and watch the drone to see how much it is having to fight the wind at each level you will also hear if the motors are changing note as they speed up and slow down and finally if you still need to fly try to go out into the wind so you will benefit from the wind on the way back

Wind speeds can be extracted from the DAT flight log files so theoretically there could be a wind speed indicator in the Fly app. There's not though, so we're stuck with guessing, looking at trees and clouds and trusting in weather forecasts.

I use a combination of all this, and in more marginal weather fly upwind first, and see how the drone behaves as I slowly go higher. Always being ready to flick into sports mode and drop lower/head home. I regularly get wind warnings but only twice actually seen the drone get pushed off location by the wind.

Reactions: Cw4bray
Wind speeds can be extracted from the DAT flight log files so theoretically there could be a wind speed indicator in the Fly app. There's not though, so we're stuck with guessing, looking at trees and clouds and trusting in weather forecasts.

I use a combination of all this, and in more marginal weather fly upwind first, and see how the drone behaves as I slowly go higher. Always being ready to flick into sports mode and drop lower/head home. I regularly get wind warnings but only twice actually seen the drone get pushed off location by the wind.

Thanks, so far I am also using this kind of estimating and guessing. Up to now with success and no blowaways :)

I've deliberately gone out flying on a few windy days to understand what winds the MM can handle and what it can't. Its given me a good feel for what is OK from ground level for flying.

Reactions: Tomas H.
It uses the relationship between tilt angle and air velocity in steady, level flight to get air velocity, and then subtracts that from ground velocity to get wind velocity - i.e. speed and direction.
Thanks sar104 for technical explanation , your response is precise and factual as always!
Seems drone is able to calculate wind speed, but instead in exact figures like m/s (ft/s...) it only differentiates if speed is within or already over the set limit.

Thanks sar104 for technical explanation , your response is precise and factual as always!
Seems drone is able to calculate wind speed, but instead in exact figures like m/s (ft/s...) it only differentiates if speed is within or already over the set limit.

No - it estimates speed and direction. Here's an example dataset from a DAT log:

windspeed.png

Reactions: Tomas H.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143