DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can one drone be registered under both recreational & Part 107?

Player-Pe

Reactions
I got my drone and registered it under recreational before I got my P107. Now after getting my certificate, can I register the same drone again under P107, or do I have to delete it under recreational first and then register under P107?

On this page: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

This is mentioned:

• Drones registered under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations cannot be flown under Part 107.

• Once a drone is registered, its registration cannot be transferred between operation types (Part 107 or the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations).

Otherwise, I have no idea what the actual capabilities of the database are. Don't know what kind of blocking and validation are being done within the database.

Maybe I didn't understand the FAA requirements, but I thought 107 was for the pilot certification. The registration was based on the MTOW of the drone, no?

Reactions: WanderLost

This is mentioned:

• Drones registered under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations cannot be flown under Part 107.

• Once a drone is registered, its registration cannot be transferred between operation types (Part 107 or the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations).

Otherwise, I have no idea what the actual capabilities of the database are. Don't know what kind of blocking and validation are being done within the database.
It should be similar to Canada here. I registered my drones while I had a Basic license and then later passed my Advanced RPAS certification. The registration doesn't change - it's how the FAA or Transport Canada knows what you are flying and its capabilities which doesn't change no matter what license you hold.

Edit: This has been an interesting discussion. From the comments below - I can see that the process is different in the US from Canada. I'm not sure why since so much of our regs here come direct from the FAA regs - you'd think something as simple as drone registration and pilot licensing would be straightforward.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
If you go onto the FAA drone zone web site you can manage your FAA registrations. At the top of the page there are links for Pt107 registrations and one for recreational. You can just delete the recreational entry and then go back to the Pt. 107 registration page and put it there if you haven't already.

This is mentioned:

The registration can't be transferred. But there's no problem. You simply delete the drone from your recreational registration and pay a new fee to register it under Part 107. I did this for two of my drones.

The registration can't be transferred. But there's no problem. You simply delete the drone from your recreational registration and pay a new fee to register it under Part 107. I did this for two of my drones.
So does this mean if someone sells you a drone that is registered under recreational and they don't delete it, you won't be able to register it under part 107; is the database that smart?

Maybe I didn't understand the FAA requirements, but I thought 107 was for the pilot certification. The registration was based on the MTOW of the drone, no?
Under the 44809 recreational registration, the pilot is registered and can add multiple drones at no additional cost. Each drone uses the same registration number. Under Part 107 commercial registration, each drone is registered individually and each drones receives a unique registration number.

In both cases, the fees are very low and the process is straightforward.

If you only registered under Recreational Rules:
  • remove the Reg # from the aircraft
  • register under P107
  • add the new # to the aircraft
  • keep documentation of the P107 Reg# in your flight gear
  • Fly Safely

:)

Maybe I not understanding your question, but in the US it is the operator that is registered for recreational. You put your FCC assigned number on any drones you have. While Part 107 the aircraft is registered instead. Unless it's changed since I registered years ago.

Maybe I not understanding your question, but in the US it is the operator that is registered for recreational. You put your FCC assigned number on any drones you have. While Part 107 the aircraft is registered instead. Unless it's changed since I registered years ago.

That's still the case but many people don't understand the small differences. It's an FAA assigned # btw :)

Allen

This is mentioned:

It all comes down to you; are you flying recreational? Then is for fun. Then you only need the recreational online video course.
If! You fly it for pay! Then is for comercial purposes, & therefore you need your FAA107. Thats the law, you can fly comercially as a Roge pilot.
Let's not miss any sleep or get frustrated by the way the law is written or.… please! Come on!

• Haha
Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman