DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Someone Figure out Why Mavic 2 'Waypoint' PANS are AWAYS JERKY???

I agree. Now, if we could only convince DJI of that...
Have you contacted DJI on their Facebook support page about this? Not their useless forums, but the Facebook page. You can also write to Ed Windham ([email protected]) and tell him about this or ask if there is an ETA on a fix for this.
The other thing is to write “[email protected]” and let them know that this is a problem in their SDK software.

I always thought the jerkiness was due to the shape of the bird- but I never had an original Mavic. The Phantoms were always butter smooth.

Listening to the people here- even if you don’t have preset gimbal tilts at headings- panning is always “jerky” in waypoints on the M2 series. DJI should address this. I hope you guys write to them about this.
Lastly, their head US public relations guy is Adam Lisberg. You can write to him at [email protected] and politely ask him to give this info to the correct team- explain the issue in detail and how people have been trying to get DJIs attention on this for a while and there has been no acknowledgement of this.

Last edited:
Have you contacted DJI on their Facebook support page about this? Not their useless forums, but the Facebook page. You can also write to Ed Windham ([email protected]) and tell him about this or ask if there is an ETA on a fix for this.
The other thing is to write “[email protected]” and let them know that this is a problem in their SDK software.

I always thought the jerkiness was due to the shape of the bird- but I never had an original Mavic. The Phantoms were always butter smooth.

Listening to the people here- even if you don’t have preset gimbal tilts at headings- panning is always “jerky” in waypoints on the M2 series. DJI should address this. I hope you guys write to them about this.
Lastly, their head US public relations guy is Adam Lisberg. You can write to him at [email protected] and politely ask him to give this info to the correct team- explain the issue in detail and how people have been trying to get DJIs attention on this for a while and there has been no acknowledgement of this.

Thanks for the contact info; I will follow up.

This happens in Litchi and Waypoints 2.0.
his Jerky Unnatural Panning Behavior - ...
… and it ONLY seems like it happens on MAVIC 2.

The footage Unusable - It seems like its Panning in steps !

The same plan (Session) with Litchi Works fine on M1P (in fact Beautifully)
… DJIgo4 shows a smilar issue - … when Panning whilst moving - or interpolating from one heading to another (in Waypoints)

Anyone have a Clue ?

See my Latest Nightflight Vid of Today (Would be awesome except for the Pans)
What was your frame rate and shutter speed? This doesn't look like anything to do with with programmed flight using way points.

For this video, you can apply some motion blur in post, only during the panning/turning. It will help.

What was your frame rate and shutter speed? This doesn't look like anything to do with with programmed flight using way points.

For this video, you can apply some motion blur in post, only during the panning/turning. It will help.
This has nothing to do with shutter speed or frame rate. It is a known issue.

Could you please post video of your smooth waypoint panning using the correct frame rates and shutter speeds. Please include panning to both the left, right, and transitions through the waypoints. We would love to learn your tricks.

This has nothing to do with shutter speed or frame rate. It is a known issue.
The cars in his town seem to moving at 100 mph. That suggests a VERY slow frame rate. Maybe it's Hyperlapse or timelapse of some kind. MOTION BLUR is needed now to save his video.

BUT, I'm more interested in this as a known issue. Are there threads or video showing this shot in daylight at common frame rates?
I have not used Litchi since I bought a Mavic 2. Yes, I could test it myself, but I'd like to know more about this first.

This is a well known problem with the Mavic 2 series that DJI has chosen to ignore. The only workaround I have found is to use Davinci Resolve's "stabilizer" feature. I haven't tried any other video editors' stabilizing features, but I imagine they will work as well. It's certainly not a fix, but it can turn most of that useless jerky footage into something usable (most of the time).
Here's an example I shot today of the known Waypoint panning problem with the Mavic 2 series and the same clip stabilized in Davinci Resolve.

Here's an example I shot today of the known Waypoint panning problem with the Mavic 2 series and the same clip stabilized in Davinci Resolve.

This is different than the OP's problem. Glad you could stabilize that. This is an M2 problem when used with waypoints then? Since M2's release or a FW update?

Time to get Litchi fired up.

This is different than the OP's problem. Glad you could stabilize that. This is an M2 problem when used with waypoints then? Since M2's release or a FW update?

Time to get Litchi fired up.
I think this is exactly what the OP was talking about. Even the title says "PANS are ALWAYS JERKY". Go to 0:42 in his video and you will see what he was complaining about.

As a beta tester for Litchi, I can tell you this has been a problem from the first Litchi beta for the Mavic 2 series and DJI's Waypoints 2.0 has the same problem.

I think this is exactly what the OP was talking about. Even the title says "PANS are ALWAYS JERKY". Go to 0:42 in his video and you will see what he was complaining about.

As a beta tester for Litchi, I can tell you this has been a problem from the first Litchi beta for the Mavic 2 series and DJI's Waypoints 2.0 has the same problem.
OK, Iv'e watched his video over and over. Now I know what I'm looking for, I can see it. You're a beta tester, Litchi must be aware of this. I've always had good response to questions from them. Sounds like it's a DJI problem, Litchi can't resolve it if it's beyond their control.

I just had to look to see if I have a stabilize function. I do! Never had to use it, drone footage is soooo stable! I usually take stills so I don't use ND filters because I want a fast shutter. Sometime things happen and only video must be used. No time to land and add the ND. I try to pan as SLOW as I can. Oh well there is always motion blur in post.

Glad I found this before I used way points again!

Is the STABILIZATION process pretty straight forward. I just got Davinci installed today and it is complex to this guy. I've been using Magix editors and mainly to create slide shows using still images with the occasional video tossed in without much processing - other than to right wallfalls and similar low skill needs.

Is the STABILIZATION process pretty straight forward. I just got Davinci installed today and it is complex to this guy. I've been using Magix editors and mainly to create slide shows using still images with the occasional video tossed in without much processing - other than to right wallfalls and similar low skill needs.
Yes, it is pretty straight forward. I came from Filmora and I remember very well how daunting Resolve seemed at first. I ended up watching a lot of YouTube videos about basically "Resolve for Dummies" (which falls right in my bailiwick).

Here's how to stabilize in Resolve 16.

1. In the Edit tab, turn on the Inspector
2. Select the clip you want to stabilize
3. Double click Stabilization in the Inspector if it's not already open
4. Click "Stabilize" and wait a few seconds while it does it's thing

You can experiment with the different settings for more or less stabilization. In the clip I posted I set the Smooth to .70 and left everything else at defaults.

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22

Precisely. Same here. This is EXACTLY the problem.

Reactions: Robert Granata
That video shows mild jerkiness, but It gets a lot worse when flying a tighter curve, and at a higher speed. Even as good as Resolve is with stabilization, it cannot take out all of the jerkiness under those conditions.

Reactions: Robert Granata

I also as a Beta tester communicated with Litchi about this early on before DJI released WP 2 and it became obvious to all that it was in fact a DJI issue.

Litchi said that they even paid DJI some fee to get priority in addressing this since it was bothering Litchi customers so much. So even Litchi doesn't have the pull to get DJI to fix this defect.

That video shows mild jerkiness, but It gets a lot worse when flying a tighter curve, and at a higher speed. Even as good as Resolve is with stabilization, it cannot take out all of the jerkiness under those conditions.
You are absolutely right. Slow pans at low speeds seems to have the least "jerkiness". That's how I plan my waypoint missions now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki