DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can we discuss devices?

Reactions
Newbie here...

Wanted a Mavic for a long time, but use android and everytime I look at the DJI app reviews it has kept me from pulling the trigger.

Have always used Nexus devices, but as they have gone the way of the dodo will probably replace my 6P with a 3rd gen Pixel this Fall. Although I am an Apple guy from way back, just got no love for iOS.

My consensus of what I have read/heard over the last couple years is Nexus devices get no love from DJI. What about Pixels?

If it was me, I would get a 2nd phone just for flying. Saves a lot of trouble in the long run. The Xt2 or Elate are excellent phones and really cheap too.

I use an old note 5 as a dedicated display when using a phone. Not one crash. Very solid, bright, and I highly recommend. You can find them used for 100-150, which is excellent considering how solid it has been. Samsung has, by far, the largest market share on android, so you would assume that is what DJI would test the most. I have never used a pixel, so I can't comment there.

Thanks. But I should have said in my OP to disqualify Samsung. Wouldn't own another one of their products if they were giving them away.
If that's the case, I would go to iPhone. I feel the same way about Apple as you do Samsung, but iPhones and Samsungs are by far the most widely used products, so DJI probably makes sure their products work well with those brands first and foremost. The pixel would probably be fine though. Its a beefy phone.

If you don't mind sharing, why the aversion the samsung? Unlucky Note 7 purchase?

If you don't mind sharing, why the aversion the samsung?
It is a long story (one I will share with you via PM if you wish), but to make it short... Samsung refused to fix a $3500 tv that was under warranty after months of stalling tactics and two unsuccessful attempts. It took an attorney's letter to the CEO threatening a law suit for breach of warranty to get a replacement (which literally exploded three years later).

It is a long story (one I will share with you via PM if you wish), but to make it short... Samsung refused to fix a $3500 tv that was under warranty after months of stalling tactics and two unsuccessful attempts. It took an attorney's letter to the CEO threatening a law suit for breach of warranty to get a replacement (which literally exploded three years later).
Sorry to hear that. Can't blame you for the boycott, I would do the same. On a side note, I wouldnt buy anything brand new, as brand new phones are ridiculously priced compared to phones that are a generation or two older. You won't see that much of a difference in performance to justify the price, for me at least. My Note was made in 2015 and as I said, works perfect. If you were considering buying a brand new phone, you could get a crystal sky for those prices, which would be a much better device IMO.

As a side note, most of the terrible android reviews are probably from people using super old devices. I have a buddy who refuses to use anything android, because he claims they are so slow compared to Apple devices. The problem is that he never had a new android. They were always OLD. Its like, yea, an iPhone 3 would run like crap too, so why do you expect so much out of a Galaxy s3?

The pixel would probably be fine though. Its a beefy phone.
Agreed. But I really hadn't thought about the idea of buying a mainstream device solely for use with DJI Go. It makes a lot of sense.

And while I have no use for Apple's shuttered iOS in my daily life, I can attest to their superior development environment and hardware integration. There are so many less places for incompatibilities throughout their lineup than exist on Android at the moment. Even on Nexus I have seen connectivity break (7.0) and get fixed (7.1), and break again (8.0) and to be fixed (8.1). These things usually always center around bluetooth and WiFi Direct.

iPhone 5s and 6 models are cheap enough, but might go with an iPad to replace my aging Nexus 7 given the sorry state of tablets on Android.

Iphonex here. I wouldn’t drop any cheap phone if you plan to leave cellular on.

I wouldnt buy anything brand new, as brand new phones are ridiculously priced

That's still why I am rocking the Nexus 6P. Pixels are nice (though kinda ugly - hoping the gen 3 will get a face lift), they just didn't offer up much appeal to upgrade (kinda like all Apple laptops within the last 5 years).

As a side note, most of the terrible android reviews are probably from people using super old devices.

In this case I filtered them on the 6P. Really bad. And I must admit Google killed my original Nexus 7 and Moto X with lollipop. They just ran so slow they were unusable. Apple is definitely better in this regard (updates/longevity). Android is getting better, but unless Google starts making their own silicon, they are at the mercy of the likes of Qualcomm and Samsung (who don't care about you unless you buy the next great thing.)

Appreciate the advice.

-SiP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine