DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you help please - mavic just dropped out of the sky

Tony Robinson

Reactions
Hello

I am new to flying and just getting familiar with it when my mavic pro just dropped out of the sky for what appeared to be no reason. Thankfully, little damage as it landed on soft sand, just a broken gimble strap.

I can see that the signal seemed to drop out at the end of the flight ( or was it blocked by something).

1. Would I have been notified of this on my tablet screen and I just didnt see it, and if so what should I have done.
2. Why would this have happened when I was so close the drone
3. Am I missing something else and another reason why it may have failed.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Would much appreciate any comments or advice.
Thank you
Tony

Please retrieve your DAT flight log from your Mavic like this, upload it to a file sharing site (like Dropbox.com), and post a link back here.

There have been reports here of Mavic batteries not being seated all the way, then disconnecting during flight. Make sure you only use genuine DJI brand batteries (no EBay generics) and that you hear the click when inserting them into your drone.

Reactions: Tony Robinson
Dropbox - Mavic Flights

Apologies, seemed to be having trouble uploading. This should be OK now. Many thanks
It appears that there was an abrupt power loss in this incident. The battery data is too slow (1 Hz) to see this. But, the motorVolts data is faster (50 Hz) and shows a drop from about 10.5 volts to around 7 volts at the very end of the .DAT file.
upload_2017-7-28_9-47-9.png

You had some question regarding loss of signal. That's probably the RC/App saying it can't receive a signal from the AC because it suffered the power loss. The AC could hear the RC right up to the very end.
upload_2017-7-28_9-50-58.png

There has been some speculation that these drop-from-the-sky incidents are actually caused by the AC thinking (erroneously) it's on the ground and then shuts down the motors.

Theory explaining how Mavic could drop down from skies... Your thoughts, please...

That didn't happen with this incident.

Reactions: Tony Robinson
It appears that there was an abrupt power loss in this incident. The battery data is too slow (1 Hz) to see this. But, the motorVolts data is faster (50 Hz) and shows a drop from about 10.5 volts to around 7 volts at the very end of the .DAT file.
View attachment 18261

You had some question regarding loss of signal. That's probably the RC/App saying it can't receive a signal from the AC because it suffered the power loss. The AC could hear the RC right up to the very end.
View attachment 18262

There has been some speculation that these drop-from-the-sky incidents are actually caused by the AC thinking (erroneously) it's on the ground and then shuts down the motors.

Theory explaining how Mavic could drop down from skies... Your thoughts, please...

That didn't happen with this incident.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this and for your summary. Really helpful

HTnak
There have been reports here of Mavic batteries not being seated all the way, then disconnecting during flight. Make sure you only use genuine DJI brand batteries (no EBay generics) and that you hear the click when inserting them into your drone.[/

Thanks, I cant honestly say if this was the case, but something I will now always make sure of

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54