DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada doesn't want you

If your drone is registered in your country and have your drone pilot licence it is my understanding that you should be ok, just the same as any private plane pilot. For the past 12 months I have never been ask to show my permit and registration.

The idiots here in Canada have suspended that privilege until 2021, unless you are doing commercial type of work....recreational = forget about it:

"Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Wait, the website says anyone foreign can only fly a drone with an SFOC. Then it says recreational fliers cannot apply for them, only commercial.
It does not say anything about allowing foreign fliers with drones under some weight to fly without an SFOC.
In the end, someone who is foreign is not flying any drone recreationally in Canada, period.
You could fly commercially if you get permission.

Wait, the website says anyone foreign can only fly a drone with an SFOC. Then it says recreational fliers cannot apply for them, only commercial.
It does not say anything about allowing foreign fliers with drones under some weight to fly without an SFOC.
In the end, someone who is foreign is not flying any drone recreationally in Canada, period.
You could fly commercially if you get permission.

I'm fairly confident that drones under 250g are not regulated in Canada and a foreigner can fly one. However, they still have to follow TCCA rules (flying in uncontrolled airspace, fly it more than 30m (100ft) horizontally from bystanders and never fly over bystanders/people).

I will confirm your claim though, as you could be right. It wouldn't shock me if you were right that a foreigner can't even fly a > 250g drone.

Last edited:
If your drone is registered in your country and have your drone pilot licence it is my understanding that you should be ok, just the same as any private plane pilot. For the past 12 months I have never been ask to show my permit and registration.
No, that's not correct for Canada. If your drone is more than 250g, you cannot fly it legally for recreation in Canada. Just because you haven't been ask to provide permits or registration for 12 months does not make it legal.

I don't blame them. Considering we have NO required training for recreational drone operators, they are a risk to their airspace.
I don't need to remind you how many come here with no clue of the rules, and fly very irresponsibly.
It will be coming soon here, and it will be a good thing.

I don't blame them. Considering we have NO required training for recreational drone operators, they are a risk to their airspace.
I don't need to remind you how many come here with no clue of the rules, and fly very irresponsibly.
It will be coming soon here, and it will be a good thing.

I respectfully disagree. I would say visitors/foreigners are more diligent when flying in a foreign country and they tend to follow the rules vs. Those flying at home/domestically. I’d say you have more issues with domestic drone operators than foreign.

People that travel outside of their country tend to do a lot of research what can they do with a drone and what they cannot. I’ll go far as saying they probably know the rules better than those who have written the exam domestically here in Canada :)

Reactions: Davros007

If you were flying in Canada, then up till now, if you were following the regs, you would not have a problem. However, the new rule regarding SFOC not being approved for recreational flyers will mean that all the enforcement agencies will get the memo and some be aware. Chances are that the only time you're going to run afoul of the law is if you're ratted on and the enforcement folks have to show up and do their job. If you're not a Canadian citizen or have permanent residence status, then you can't get the SFOC unless you're flying commercially. As I said before, the only way around this is to fly something under 250g (for now) and be mindful of airspace, location, and rule 900.06 of the CARS (Canadian aviation regulations) that I summarized and simplified in an earlier post. I's a bad decision in my opinion but this also affects students, visitors from other countries, immigrants who are working on citizenship or permanent residency status...they're hooped by the same regulation.... and they're in Canada.

Reactions: KrowNB
You can have citizenship in Canada and in the United States. Canada will recognize both, but the US will not. Just another one those quirks!

Canada no longer will allow recreational drone operation if you're not a Canadian Citizen or permanent Resident.

On the Canada Drone Safety Website
Foreign operators
If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I have spoken to transport Canada and official wording is that this does not include micro drones, which are drones weighing less than 250 grams since pilots of micro drones do not need an SFOC. Foreigners/visitors are welcome to fly anything under 250 grams.

Below is some guidance on operating a micro Drone – drone under 250 grams in Canada .

The 250 g weight threshold was selected to mitigate the risk that a drone would pose to an aircraft and people on the ground, and is consistent with the approach taken in several other countries, including the US.

Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) 900.06 states “No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.” This regulation applies to RPAS's less than 250 grams.

Pilots of micro drones weighing under 250 grams (g) are not required to register their drone or obtain a drone pilot certificate, but must fly in a way that does not endanger the safety of people or other aircraft.

All RPAS/drone pilots (this includes drones under 250 grams) are subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing. This means that if you wish to fly your drone over a private property, you must get the owner’s approval. Furthermore, if you wish to fly at an advertised event, you must also get the consent of the event organizer.

Micro drones cannot fly in a Class F or a 5.1 restricted airspace or in airspace that prohibits aircraft or is restricted under CAR 601.16 and 601.17 (examples of these are: Federal Parks, Niagara Falls, Parliament Hill, over prisons, forest fire areas, etc.). If the airspace prohibits “aircraft” than it prohibits sub 250 gram RPAS’s too.

Operations of a RPAS over people can pose a hazard to people, please reference CAR 900.06 above.

"Foreigners/visitors are welcome to fly anything under 250 grams"

They may be allowed, but I doubt they are welcomed. ;)

Anything magical about 250 grams?

Not sure what the weight limit has to do with anything.

Drone vs. airplane...who's gonna win?

Hitting a bird is going to be a lot bigger problem.

I respectfully disagree. I would say visitors/foreigners are more diligent when flying in a foreign country and they tend to follow the rules vs. Those flying at home/domestically. I’d say you have more issues with domestic drone operators than foreign.

People that travel outside of their country tend to do a lot of research what can they do with a drone and what they cannot. I’ll go far as saying they probably know the rules better than those who have written the exam domestically here in Canada :)

Thats exactly the reverse of what i see. I work and live in areas with large numbers of tourists and at best,most are utterly unaware of a countries laws and rules and most make absolutely zero attempt to find out (or care).

Quite common where i worked in the caribbean for the cruise ship people to fly a drone in/near port without checking (i) secure area so no and (ii) its on the extended centreline to the main airport approach located no more than a mile away.

In asia ive seen them fly within the distances to airports without thinking, over naval bases because they didnt check. In national parks or protected areas the same.

Most just dont care about the local laws a country has and will try to fly anyway.

The majority of issues ive seen are visitors (although domestic users are immune to stupidity and ignorance too).

I love their, We apologize for any inconvenience, comment. Considering Transport Canada charge you to take a recreational exam and charge you to register each drone, I'm surprised they don't just make people outside of Canada pay a $10 fee to fly here.
As bugs bunny would say. WHATTA MAROON! "...... nothing surprises me with our government anymore. ??‍♂️ Every time I see our minister of transport on my tv talking about anything transportation related,I want to smack my head on a tree stump. I can’t believe the guy used to be an astronaut!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead